TN: 2017 Solminer Wines - Blaufränkisch deLanda Vineyard (USA, California, Central Coast, Santa Ynez Valley)

My first Blaufränkisch … what took me so long!?! Although my note, and score, may not fully reflect it, I really loved this wine. Immediately went out and tried sourcing other Blaufränkisch bottlings, but only came up with the 2014 Johan. Also left the store with two Rosi Schuster bottlings, albeit neither a Blaufränkisch. I love it when exploration yields fun and interesting finds!

2017 Solminer Wines Blaufränkisch deLanda Vineyard - USA, California, Central Coast, Santa Ynez Valley (11/7/2018)
– Diam 5 closure pulled 15 min. before initial taste –
– tasted non-blind over 2 days –

NOSE: intense pomegranate; floral aspect; hint of rhubarb; there was this very familiar scent that I couldn’t identify for the longest time – and then it finally hit me: there’s this old-time type of hard candy with a jelly center — the Nose on this reminded me of whichever flavor is a floral (perhaps lilac or lavender?). Medium+ expressiveness.

BODY: composite cork (Diam 5); clear; raspberry color of medium depth; medium-light bodied.

TASTE: high acidity; medium-strong to strong oak note, which is distracting; 12.2% alc. not noticeable; non-descript red fruits; not gloppy/syrupy; not tannic; not funky; good Pinot substitute. Same on Day 2 as on Day 1. This will be too acidic for some folks’ preferences, but I enjoyed it a lot. The main detractor for me on this wine is the oak: it’s a shame the oak is as noticeable as it is because the underlying wine is incredibly pretty and moreish. If the oak integrates with time then I will regret not buying more. That said, after wine club discount, tax, and shipping this was about $50, which is a bit tough to swallow. I know my TNs are dryer than the Sahara, but I do want to emphasize that I enjoyed this greatly; some of my excitement over this wine may stem from this being my first Blaufrankisch.

50, 5, 12, 16, 7 = (90 pts.)

Brian,

If you want to continue to explore USA Blaufränkisch take a look into the Finger Lakes. A lot of great Blaufränkisch is being made over there (Some producers use the name Lemberger) and at an amazing QPR. One of my favorite producers Lakewood makes a great acid driven and food friendly example.

Thanks, Hank. I’ll add Lakewood to my list. [cheers.gif]

You can get pretty great Austrian blaufrankisch for $20/btl.

Hatton-Daniels does nice work with blaufrankisch (and zweigelt) from the Mokelumne Glen vineyard in Lodi. You might not get it in California, but Beneduce Vineyards in NJ made a 2014 blaufrankisch from estate grapes that I have enjoyed more than any other US blaufrankisch. That’s sold out and the new 2015 might need a little more time in bottle.

Does any make it out of state? Finger Lakes wines are rarely seen outside NY in general.

They ship directly from the winery. They also are distributed in a few states, I know FL off the top of my head.

Yup. Will order a Rosi Schuster from K&L’s website (they didn’t have any on site at the Hollywood store last week), and will pick-up the basic Moric, as well. It seems like it’s been awhile since I’ve had a new red variety to explore.

Well, the RosiShuster and the Moric wines are imported by Emily’s BlueDanubeImports and they do DTC sales. So I would suggest you buy direct.
Tom