Cellar build: Choosing AC

Hi guys,
After a couple of sewer floods (don’t ask), I’m doing a full cellar rebuild in DC. Small space of about 1,000 cubic feet. Most calculations suggest I need 2,000 BTU. Adding a fudge factor (for lights and human heat), I think I need about 4,000 BTU.

After my Whisperkool kicked the bucket a few years ago, I haven’t looked back, but I think I’m also done with tricking my Kenmore to go lower than 60F. I’m looking for a split system, and I have one vendor pushing WineGuardian, with another suggesting I go with SLD - specifically this one: Shop SLD Split System 4010 BTU Cooling Unit | Free Shipping!.

The SLD has a nice footprint, but I never heard of them. Does anybody here have experience with the brand?

Additionally, in the proposal, I have the option of getting a:

• Humidifier ($624)
  • Heater/De-Humidifier
    Do people normally go for this?

I was torn between a split system and a through the wall, I did neither and got a rear ducted CellarPro and I have been very happy. I’m not sure what your exact set up will be, but it’s worth it to look at them-assuming you will end up with a relatively short exhaust duct run (approx 50-60 feet).

Not familiar with that system, but chiming in with one bit of advice. I had a through wall unit many years ago that exhausted through from wine cellar to our unfinished lower level. When it failed it was a hassle to get the unit replaced, remove from wall, temporarily board up hole and keep cellar temp protected, etc. When we remodeled lower level we went to a split system from a professional refrigeration company installer and it has been great, and we have it serviced just for maintenance every couple of years. So my advice, which it sounds like you are doing anyway, is to get a split system that can be professionally serviced in place, ideally by the installer. If you are dealing with a wine cellar firm rather than a refrigeration firm, just make sure whether they will maintain and service the unit over the years, or work with people who can do that for you. It’s not that they require much, simply that you know who to call that will respond quickly should your unit stops functioning.

Have you considered adding a Coolbot to your Kenmore? For $300 it does the tricking for you . . . quite effectively in my case.

You will definitely need closer to 4000 BTU’s, If you go with Wine Guardian “WG” go with an 050.

One system isn’t better than the other they are more application specific. Is the proposed WG a self contained or split?

The SL isn’t a brand but rather a collection of components, the footprint is great and the units are very quiet.
You most likely want on out door condensing unit to put the heat and noise outside of your home.
SL Pros: small, quite, simple mostly off the shelf components, SL Cons: low quality evaporator coils (perhaps rectified) and R-22 based (expensive and outdated).

WG pros: No evaporator in room, fantastic customer/technical support. Flexible mounting options, easy to add humidification WG cons: most all parts are oem only. Communicating thermostat is far from intuitive.

Humidifer: unless you have a lot of old fragile wine I’d recommend against it, they are a maintenance nightmare and can be added easily afterward.

Heat: the heat option on a WG is heat only, not dehumidification (reheat) only choose this option if you expect the cellar to go below your desired setpoint.

I went through multiple whisperkool units in my old home (through the wall). I would never, ever do that again. I did a split system in my new cellar. I haven’t been using it long enough to provide any feedback. In fact, it hasn’t even been turned on yet. (cellar was just finished last week…).

Awesome. Thank you all. Coolbot is intriguing. But seeing how installation is half the cost (and I want a split), may just do WG.

Any recommendations for local installers?

What did you end up doing with this? Did you install a humidifier?

Did not install a humidifier (it’s DC…) and did not go for the Wine Guard, but a split fo a different brand. IF you’re building, I can look it up.

Sure, I’d appreciate the name if you recommend it. I’m thinking of staying with Wine Guardian as I’ve been happy thus far, six years into my current cellar, though I think I’m going to go with their split system vs. the ducted one I have now simply because of where my new cellar will be.

I’m not following the need for 4000 BTU’s. Wine Guardian’s calculator suggests that a ducted unit would require around 1700 BTU’s and a split system would require much less for a 1000 cubic foot residential space without glass.

I’m probably going to heed your recommendation to not install a through the wall humidifier. I think I can manage with other approaches.

I’m with Chris on the BTUs. You’ll end up with an undersized unit working overtime if go with WG’s suggestions. Vinotemp suggests 2,500 for a 1,000 cubic foot room without any glass. It also depends on outside temperatur, etc, etc.

I went with a 5,700 BTU system from wine care concepts. It is not a branded product per se, but something they put together. They have good local service in my area.

Interesting. Seems odd that a company so reputable would be so inaccurate with such an important calculation.

Thanks for the brand name.

Chris can probably explain it better, as he did to me once, but most cellars are far from the theoretical minimum BTU needs, once lighting, leaks, etc. are taken into account.

Andrew, I appreciate your input. And I would certainly value Chris’ opinion. I’m just trying to make sense as to why an established company would have a calculator on their website which is arguably grossly inaccurate. I also spoke with a represnetative at Wine Guardian and walked him through the details of the cellar and he confirmed what the calculator had “said.” Addtionally, when I use Vinotemp’s online calculator I am getting similar numbers, and nothing close to 4000 BTU’s listed above for a cellar similarly sized to mine

In my case, my cellar will be 15’ x 13’ x 7.5’ with one 30" door, no glass, and mostly subterranean with no direct sunlight. Wine Guardian recommends less than 2000 BTU and Vinotemp recommends 2000 BTU, both for a split unit (which are more efficient and need less BTU than ducted versions).

Far be it for me to push anybody to spend more than absolutely necessary, when excess money can be spent on more wine, but Chris Kravitz’ point has been well documented on this site earlier. And from my own experience (in DC), most minimum requirement ACs tend to not be able to cool as much as I want - whether for wine or not.

Obviously, nobody here can legitimately answer a question about why companies do this or that, other than to say we think the suggested size is too small. I’d think of it this way: How much does it cost to upsize the unit? Is the risk & cost of over-paying that amount for something that is working, lower or higher than the risk & cost of paying for something that might not work and have to be changed (or more likely, you’ll just leave it in, potentially have the wines expire earlier, and irritate you every time you go to pull another)?

Either way, enjoy and take pictures!

Fair points, Thomas. But it should be mentioned that using a unit that is oversized is likely just as bad as using one that is undersized. The key is to choose one that is properly sized. And two of the more widely used companies out there, Wine Guardian and Vinotemp, are advising a significantly different BTU for a space than was sugested upthread and I’m trying to reconcile that apparent discrepancy and make the best decision. If it were simply an issue of spending a little bit more for a better result, I’d be all over that.

Bump. Still trying to make sense of this apparent discrepancy as I am about to pull the plug on selecting a unit for my next cellar.

A number of people here have expressed skepticism about WhisperKool – it is being recommended to me so I just wanted to get a better sense of the pros and cons. Thanks in advance.