2016 Mugneret Gibourg village wine > $200!

Just checked my local neighborhood retailer this weekend, saw 2016 MG vosne romanee listed well over $200!

A top notch producer (perhaps top tier), but thats quite a steep increase in last few years.

Less than half that for me.

there is certainly a nyc f.y. tax added to any ‘hyped’ wines ‘sommeliers’ like to post on instagram. it does not necessarily reflect an increase in the actual cost of the wine but rather the perceived social value.

How many cases did you buy, Subu?

Karl,

Zero bottles. Way above my price point sadly, since I love the producer.

I hear you, I detest the instagram culture, just vanity. Party for now continues, but all it takes is one recession. Sigh!

Definitely a retailer issue …
[shrug.gif]

That’s insane.

My cost is up 29% since the 2013 vintage and 11% over 2015. That price you quote includes a heavy mark-up but why wouldn’t someone price rare, sought-after wines to market? Do you know how much business you have to do with a wholesaler to get allocations of wines like this? Not to mention, you better buy whatever you are offered in vintages like 2011 and 2013 that aren’t as desirable to collectors to get a shot at vintages like 2015 and 2016. Otherwise you have to purchase on the grey market where the prices are much higher than regular channels for sought after Burgundy, IME.

This is the flip side of the efficiency gains provided by online shopping and more access to information. Making things more efficient isn’t just about pushing prices down, efficiency is about the standard deviation around the true price.

It’s just another name to add to the list of wines that used to be just wine and I now have to really consider before I open. It will be interesting to see which price escalations survive the next recession or whether this is the new normal.

Obviously each retailer needs to decide how to handle their business, and whether to mark up particularly sought after wines to what the market will bear vs. selling the wines at their standard mark up. Although I buy wines online from a number of retailers, it is mainly because there are many many Burgundies that never hit our marketplace…we are at the mercy of what distributors in WA state decide to bring in. I do not buy online to get lower prices, as I am extremely loyal to my local retailer who sells me and others I know the extremely sought after wines he does get at his normal mark up, and he offers us our favorite producers as we have bought them over the years, and bought them in lesser and greater vintages. He is allocated those wines because of the business he does with those distributors over the years across their portfolios. Because our Burgundy distribution here is so limited, there are not cases upon cases of village wine or Bourgogne from sought after producers even available that have to be purchased for him to obtain those precious few bottles of Grand crus…he may get a mixed case of wines from Dujac or Rousseau, from village to GC, and that is that. He does not even conceal from us what his wholesale cost is, which of course continues to rise. If he started to charge what the market will bear on those wines, I would not have any loyalty to him and to his shop, and I would simply look online for the lowest prices. But I understand that there is a huge difference between a local wine shop with loyal local customers and a shop with mainly internet customers from around the country.

I am the first one to praise a great producer’s wines, but the spike in prices in insane.

have to grudgingly agree, though I love the sisters and their work with their wines. But my 2009 Chambolle Feusselottes which I bought in 2011 was, IIRC, USD $60 or so.

Mike, Im not evening going that far. The 14s and 15s village wines were around $100. Price doubled for the 16 vintage?

Wait until the closeout sale?

No. The price did not double. The price from your retailer did.

I paid the same for 2015 and 2016. Both were spitting distance from the 2014 price.

It would be interesting to know what many of these sought-after wines are priced at the domaine, and what the wholesale prices are in the U.S. (depending on whether it is a direct import vs. going through a 3 tier system like we have here in WA state)…just out of curiosity as to how much is due to price escalation at the domaine, how much is gouging along the distribution route, how much is gouging by the retailer, etc.
For example, I know for a fact that 2015 Rousseau Chambertin Clos de Beze has a wholesale price in WA state of $595. Not sure how much in U.S. dollars it sells for at the domaine (to those lucky enough to be on their list), what the wholesale cost is in states where the retailer can also import, as opposed to the $595 we are seeing in states such as WA.

Wholesale frontline for 2016 MG vosne romanee is $80 where I am at.

More pricing info:

I paid $99 per bottle for Vosne Romanee, retail in the US.

Same price for me, though I wrapped my six into a case and grabbed a mixed case discount.

Any grand crus David?

I sadly missed out on Clos Vougeot. I received some Ech and Ruchottes.