This is interesting: Suckling puts his favorite 100 point wines in order of preference.

Life becomes difficult when you have given so many 100 point scores to wines, and I suppose you need to be able to make subsets of perfection. Not sure about copyright but 10 wines are listed on the Livex release and #1 and 2 are Canon 2015 and Belair Monange 2015.

This disproves the misconception that all 100-point wines are equal. I recall Parker writing years ago that there are 100-point wines, and then there is X (can’t recall which wine it was), the clear implication being that it bested them all. That was before he tried 2007 CduP in mags.

It may make as much sense to us consumers as string theory but to most critics, some 100-pointers are better than others. Trouble is, they can’t just extend the scale or they look even worse.

So now we have to add starz to rank 100-point wines???

Pointless.

100*****

These go to 11.

Suckling scores sort of remind me of maths exams at university where it was thoeritically possible to get 120%. Six questions would be set and five answers were required for 100%. But one could answer all six. It always seemed a. It perverse to for mathematics (especially as I had my work cut out to do five questions!).

Suckling called the 2015 Canon the “wine of a lifetime.” I have 2 bottles. Kinda makes me feel dirty.

Dirty filthy!!

I remember the excitement when Suckling rated a Mouton 1988(?) a 100 pointer. There were very few 100 pointers then maybe a couple of times a year; so this created its own mini rush.

Now you have at least 10 wines he has rated 100 in 2018, and if he has any acolytes left, they were going to have a hard time deciding what to buy if he hadn’t done this.

The thing that worries me is that despite trying to ignore his scores, I still ended up with his #1 and 2 wine. I am really filthy.

Neal,
Nothing like as bad as someone in New Hampshire snagging two cases for less than $100 a bottle last month.
You can read the full story on Bordeaux Wine Enthusiasts

I bought my bottles for $79. Early. Maybe I’ll trade them for DRC.

I´ve tasted Belair-Monange 2015 in May - imho nowhere near 100 points, even when letting style aside.

If Mouton 1988 is 100 points (it´s a very good Mouton …) - how much was 1986 ? 110?

It was WS not Suckling specifically on 88 Mouton. It was a 92 pointer for me a few years ago.

Agree, even 93-94 the best bottle, but nowhere near 100 p.

I look forward to the day when ALL wines will be rated 100 points, and I can stop worrying about high scores ruining availability and pricing of some of my favorites.

To paraphrase George Orwell, all 100 point wines are equal, but some 100 point wines are more equal than others.

Bruce

But not 93?

I look forward to the day when ALL wines will be rated 100 points, and I can stop worrying about high scores ruining availability and pricing of some of my favorites.

Wine making is so much better today than it was in the past so there’s no reason that can’t happen. neener

You guys should check in on the Lisa Perrotti Brown Napa thread…If it ain’t 100, you’ve been had!

Pffft. I don’t even look at a bottle if it’s under 94. 93 is the new 88.

But to answer your question, I don’t open threads where the wines will be scored 93 neener

Don’t drink them anytime soon.