I'm no Champagne expert, but...

this was delicious!
image.jpg
First experience with this house and bottle, but found it to be wonderful. Fine bubbles, nose of yeast, green apple and some gingersnap, leads to Granny Smith tartness and toasted brioche and almond… The just had nothing out of place, everything flowed together.

Howard

It’s great. My first experiences with them were from the early 90s and they were wonderful.

I like that brand, as well.

Yup, Bolly is one of my favorite houses.

I’ve always liked Bollinger, and their 2002 is very nice indeed. I’ve recently opened the ‘02 RD version, and much preferred it over the accompanying 2000 Krug served during the same dinner.
794CE676-9873-4B61-AD1B-2A13DA4A1A08.jpeg

Question,how does the RD compare after a couple decades to the Grand Annee? I have never tried a single vintage side by side after say 20 or so years.

I haven’t had the Bollinger regular ‘02 and RD ‘02 side by side; but, from memory of past bottles thereof, the RD seemed comparatively fresher, marginally purer, more floral & lighter footed - which are pretty much the same differences I noted when I had the regular ‘96 Dom & the ‘96 Dom Oenotheque side by side.

Best,

N

Older Bollinger RD’s from the 70’s and 80’s haven’t aged as well as the original release versions; most likely due to the lower dosage.
I assume the same will hold true for younger vintages as well.

Ray should be banned from this thread based on the title, but since you’re here…

Have you had the 75 Bollinger RD recently?

It’s probably been 12-15 years and it was a jero. Was in a good place at that time, but I would drink a 750ml sooner rather than later.

I’ve had the RD and GA 2002. Likewise for a number of other RD vintages going back to 85. My experiences are a bit unlike LMD Ermitano. In my experiences, the RD is far leesier, spicier, slightly oxidative, and nuttier, while the GA is lighter, fresher, more light fruited, citric, and crisp. I’ve been lucky enough to have the 88, 95, and 2002 RD this year, and tend to drink some GA in almost every vintage. I’ve found those takes consistent. The RDs show their extended aging on lees. The GA is markedly fresh (though I’ve not had long-aged bottles of the GA) so I’m comparing the wines when the vintages overlap on the market. The RD’s low dosage does not, in my opinion, lend to any additional freshness, as the time on lees seems to impart more character than the low dosage.

I had a bottle of the regular 75 a few years ago and it was great.

Not surprised.

Much like Ray, I’m not a huge fan of Bollinger, but for those that do love it, the 2002 Grand Annee in magnum I find to be a good deal better than the 750s.

In the last few years, I’ve had 90,95,96 and 99 RD (several times, with varying disgorgement dates), and not a single one of them was to my liking. Strangely, a good number of the bottles showed a lot of brett. I have typically only gotten that from far older Champagnes.