TNs: TWEC (TM) Le Notre Bistro Tasting with Hizzoner: Cali Sparklers and Reds, Local Wines and Port

The Toronto Wine Elitist Cabal™ gathered to welcome back the Honorable Bernard Schwartz back to the city of Toronto from sunny California for some more extravagant wine and food. For our first get together, a large group of us gathered at Le Notre Bistro for a great tasting course menu put together by general manager and owner Serguei and spearheaded by Chef Stephanie and Sous-chef Tim. The Canadian contingent was repped by yours truly, board members Jay Shampur and Mike Grammer, Michael Wright, Heather MacDougall, and our friend Liz; the American contingent was composed of Judge Schwartz who is a dual citizen and Tim Burnett. On to the food and wine:
20181108_210738.jpg
RAATS 2017 ORIGINAL CHENIN BLANC – Mr. Wright bought us off the list a South African Chenin from 35 year old vines, aged on lees in steel with no oak. Extremely creamy texture, lemon drop and green flavors, and a touch of phenolic bitterness. Lean, fresh and racy. A good wine to open with.
20181108_193602.jpg
LEEUWIN ESTATES 2013 ART SERIES CHARDONNAY – Mike G. contributed this Aussie Chardonnay which had been opened and slow-oxed a day before. Heather noted its power. Tense but gorgeous butter, green apple and lemon flavors with cream, lees and some waxy botrytis and some flint in there too noted by the others. Very high acidity, like German Riesling level acidity. I really enjoyed this. Only criticism is that the finish is quite a bit short for such a powerful wine. Great wine.
20181108_201516.jpg
NORMAN HARDIE 2014 CUVEE DIX UNFILTERED CHARDONNAY – Heather contributed this in Magnum. Gunpowder nose, lighter bodied than the Leeuwin, marked more by lemon peel and grapefruit pith flavors with a high acidity that gives this almost Sauvignon Blanc like qualities. Not as powerful as the Leeuwin but finish lasts a lot longer. A great food wine.
20181108_190237.jpg
This wine engendered a brief but important discussion at the table. For those unaware, Mr. Hardie --whom I have personally met a on a number of occasions and admired as one of the visionary winemakers who helped put Prince Edward County wines on the map in Canada and all around the world – was caught up in the #MeToo movement earlier this year and exposed as a longtime sexual harasser of both his own staff and others in the wine industry. It has been revealed that this was a long known open secret in the industry and young women interested in the wine industry have literally left that dream behind due to their encounters with him. Without the #MeToo movement, it is likely that this terrible situation would have continued unabated.

Do his inexcusable actions preclude us from enjoying his product if we are against this behavior and fully support those who have been victimized? Are we hypocrites or bad people if we do? Are we allowed to separate the product from the horrible man who created them? I personally have a very hard time reconciling the fond memories of the intelligent, passionate, visionary, hard-working, skilled and generous winemaker that I have met previously with the horrendous facts that have been reported. You can never really truly know anyone ever, especially having only met them a few times, but the very strong positive impressions he personally left me with are so incongruous with his reported, verified and admitted harassment that it’s mind-boggling to me that we are talking about the same person.

In the end, we all enjoyed the wine tonight while openly acknowledging and discussing the situation. We more or less came to the consensus that we couldn’t punish all the other innocent hard workers at the winery by snubbing the wine. They have dreams and ambitions that should be supported as well and they have a hard enough time making a living in this crazy industry whose end product we all love. Having met some of those hard working people at the winery itself, I can fully support that and I enjoyed the wine tonight without issue. That said, I should note that I currently have none of his wines in my personal collection and would be hesitant to acquire some more by purchase or trade at this time. I hope that may change in the future.

Many restaurants, the LCBO, and the SAQ dropped Norman Hardie’s wines as a result of the reports, but the winery itself continues to do very well and he is quite lucky that it is still doing well considering how seriously he endangered it. I sincerely hope that Mr. Hardie has learned something from all this and is being sincere in his stated attempt to reform now that his terrible secret behavior has been outed, because I really would like to continue supporting his winery if my conscience would allow me to. And if he shows that he hasn’t then I definitely won’t.

JAY’S MYSTERY RED – Jay brought a Magnum of a mystery red for us to try. Lovely red stewed fruit flavors, it has a nose like a Cabernet to me. The others noted settled tannins, high alcohol, a mintiness normally associated with Cali Cab, and old sweet red fruit. This really came off as an aged Bordeaux to me. Turns out I was right but completely wrong. Revealed as the CHATEAU DES CHARMES 2005 EQUULEUS from Niagara, Ontario. This is their flagship red wine composed of 50% Cab Sauv, 25% Cab Franc, and 25% Merlot all from the Paul Bosc vineyards in Niagara on the Lake. An achievement for Ontario wine.
u.jpg
UNDER THE WIRE 2012 BROSSEAU VINEYARD SPARKLING CHARDONNAY – This is the sparkling wine project headed by Chris Cottrell and Morgan Twain-Peterson. A total green apple smoothie with autolytic lees accents and lemon verbena flavors noted by Heather. A successful emulation of a Blanc des Blancs.
20181108_210035.jpg
RHYS 2008 SYRAH – A mild saline nose leads to deliciously balanced sour cherry and pomengranate fruit flavors with slight black pepper and tannin accents. Someone at the table described this as pomengranate molasses without any sweetness. Very enjoyable. I did note, however, that on this night it was living in the shadow of the other reds because it wasn’t the surprise that the Equuleus was or the bombast that was the –
20181108_205505.jpg
TOR 2009 NAPA VALLEY CABERNET SAUVIGNON – His Honor brought this very Bordeaux like wine, this had a sweet nose with high heat. Smooth texture, settled tannins and delicious red fruit. Classic Cali Cab, it was very big but also very balanced. Great with the food.
20181108_191853.jpg
GRAHAM’S 1991 VINTAGE PORTO – My contrib, natch. Flowers, notably lavender and hibiscus, and heat on the nose. Trademark Graham’s floralness for you Port fanatics out there. Never lets you down. Sweet ripe purple plum flavors mix seamlessly with heat and black pepper spice. Tannins all settled out, not a whit of grit. Took the leftovers home to follow up and see how and if it develops. Tim ripped into me for not having decanted this properly beforehand. I defended myself by stating that very early on during the organization of the dinner I mentioned well ahead in the email thread what I was bringing and nobody said anything about it needing decanting. This, of course, caused Tim to rip into me even more by stating that he assumed my basic competence in dealing with such matters. Hmph. Typically loud brash know it all American. neener Before I could take his nose off with a pair of heated Port tongs, Serguei, Mike and Heather assured me with their collective vast wine experience that the wine would show just fine without the need of a decanting. I think I’ll go with their word instead.
20181108_184906.jpg

20181108_194029.jpg
Our tasting course menu began with a fresh Trout Carpaccio served with pea stew, pickled radish, preserved lemon, garlic crème fraiche, and blanched asparagus. This was fantastic with the Chenin Blanc as it really toned down the phenolic bitterness.
20181108_205752.jpg
The second dish was a King Oyster Mushroom Escargot. Large chunks of fresh mushroom were cooked and served like escargot in a parsley garlic butter sauce. Perfect with our Aussie Chardonnay.
20181108_201924.jpg
Third course was a Braised Grilled Octopus that was braised first and then finished on the grill and served with gremolata and grilled Ontario peach. This went beautifully with the Equuleus.
20181108_204528.jpg
Our first co-main was a Coq au Vin Two Ways. A chicken breast was cooked in red wine sous vide for an hour and served with a chicken roulade that was pan seared and red wine braised for 45 minutes. This was subtly seasoned and very moist and tender and really brought a lot of salinity out of the TOR Cab.
20181108_213127.jpg
Our second co-main was composed of a pan seared scallop served alongside sous vide monkfish with butternut squash and wilted kale and spinach.
20181108_221554.jpg
Dessert was a Le Notre Bistro specialty: Their Flourless Chocolate Cake served with chili orange marmalade and Chantilly cream.
20181108_225530.jpg
TWEC ™ would like to thank Serguei, Stephanie and Tim for the fantastic tasting menu and the splendid service and experience tonight. We look forward, as always, to returning.

Awesome! Amazing notes/pictures/commentary as always- thanks for posting!

One quick note that Under The Wire actually has nothing to do with Ravenswood - it’s all Morgan and Chris (except for the fact that Joel is Morgan’s dad I guess).

Thanks for that info, Rich. I will correct above.

“living in the shadow of…”. Hmmm. OK, Crazy Man :slight_smile:

I’ll now bring things back to reality.

We did have an awesome time—this was the only one of 3 dinners planned while Bernie (who FallTacular attendees will recognize) is in for his visit that I was able to attend.

2017 Raats Chenin Blanc

Acacia maybe? Certainly tending to the sweet herb side of bouquet. This is easily delicious with honeyed and honey tones on top of marzipan, yellow fruit and a fine pine needle afterbreathe

2013 Leeuwin Estates Art Series Chard

I debated and brought this because I wasn’t sure how much white we’d have and I was relatively sure very few people had had this—I was right in that only Heather from the group last night had tried it before besides me…and it’s been quite a while since I had a Leeuwin. I did slow-ox this the night before and it was quite unremarkable when opened. The slow-ox did it a world of good. Tonight, real perfume aromatics with hints of peach and golden delicious apple. To taste, there’s a phenolic element but it’s long and delivers plenty of verve with coiled apple flavor. With the escargots, it teases out a little buttercream and butterscotch. Still, this is not the stern, super-structured statuesque chard I remember. Thinking about recent Moss Wood bottles, I wondered aloud whether there’s been some climactic change down there.

Jay did bring a mystery mag. Nose does have some Bordeaux-like qualities, but it’s not Bordeaux. My thinking is to a blend though. Light cinnamon aspect to the nose. Palate is spicy-tart with somewhat evolved flavours of dried red and black fruit. I guessed Languedoc from 2012 or so, but this was an Ontario product, the 2005 Chateau du Charmes Equuleus

2012 Under the Wire Brosseau Sparkling Chard

Glad to see this again after first having it at Berto’s a couple years ago. I think the extra 2 years has been to the good, as I was very taken with the lemon-tinged ginger beer scents, with maybe a lightest touch of turpentine. Rich and smooth and “seasoned” now, for me a small slice of banana to go with dominant crisp apple. Good stuff here.

2009 Tor Cimarosa Cab

First thing that wafts up the glass is chestnut puree. Plenty of nut butter and then the plum rolls in. This does have power, but it is nice—for me, there is Howell mountain earth and rock in there, and it’s definitely on the beam right now, yet fills out with a couple hours in the glass too. An interesting bitter thread near the back that lengthens and balances out the black fruit. Yum, if somewhat big.

2008 Rhys Horseshoe Syrah

I first had this in 2012 when it didn’t thrill me, but I knew then it needed time. I think I tried it again a couple years ago and it was wonderful. The aromatics here have transitioned into very pure fresh cherry and berry tones with light cocoa. Marvelous grip and acidity, this is still super-lively with currant and a nice beef outline–and a saline and mineral taste the second time through. A great wine to keep sipping and probably my WOTN. Big thanks to Tim for this bring, along with the Under the Wire

2014 Norman Hardie Cuvee Dixieme Chard

Tran has put some good detail to the storyline above. I only met Norm once and found him to be an engaging person, but also about the marketing and profile side of things–he liked being the pioneer out there in P.E. County. I’ll leave things at that and say that this, from mag, has a still-quiet nose and on the tongue is quite fruity and plush, but front-ended and one-note for me. To be fair, I’m a contrarian to many in Ontario, a person who hasn’t really taken to many of the Hardie wines—other than his splendid Melon de Bourgogne.

1991 Graham’s VP

I didn’t think this needed more than a pop and a little air, but maybe it should have been decanted after all. It is still very lively when it’s presented to the mouth, on the spicy-but-shallow side, and I can’t help thinking whether some real air would have helped the wine. My bad for not suggesting it, very nice of Tran to bring this nevertheless.

It was great to see Bernie again, especially as we could not be together on my Cali trip in July where I missed him very much on my day in Paso. We shared stories of the winemakers we both now know there, and I will hope to see him again in a few months at FallTacular

Mike

An interesting and oft-debated point about buying wines from an individual with a less than stellar reputation.

To use an extreme example, I would like to think that if Adolf Hitler had owned a vineyard and made great Riesling during WW2, there is no one on the Board here who would excuse his other actions and post laudatory notes about his wines, right? So at some level the actions of a person become so reprehensible that none of us would be willing to overlook them.

I guess given that, it becomes an individual decision in terms of what kind of behavior one is willing to “forgive”. For example, while I own a few bottles of Le Pergole Torte, I purchased them before I knew the owner was a racist asshole, and now that I do, I no longer support him, although I also don’t feel obligated to dispose of the bottles I already own, which I realize is a decision in and of itself that one might question/criticize.

At any rate, sorry for the lengthy digression, but Tran did raise a point that I find interesting.