Never ending wine releases

Ugh

Picked up Myriad yesterday, email for next years date arrives today.

I love the wines and im not complaining about Myriad but sometimes the constant attention to wine lists can be relentless

Any idea what the difference between A List and Tier One/Previous Supporters for Myriad is? I bought last year (2016) and would hope I get the A List?

I hear ya, it can get ridiculous quick. I started the thread a month or so ago about taking a vintage off, and I’m happy to announce that my newfound discipline started today… With me deleting my first offer for 2017. Hey, gotta start somewhere right?

A list is a very select group of long time buyers

Tier one is the release for previous buyers and gets full access to wine

Take a few slow, deep breaths.
Highlight the offers.
One more deep breath.
Press the delete key.
You can do it.
One small motion.
There you go.
Another deep breath.
In through the nose.
Hold it.
Out through the mouth.
Now take your hand off the mouse.
Step away from the keyboard.
Turn around.
Breathe.
Go outside.
Take a walk.
Keep breathing.
You’re free!

(I accept Visa, Madtercard, and bottles of mailing list wine.)

This. So very much this. Awesome post.

Agreed!!

Please PM me so I can send you my MACDONALD bottles. :grinning:

Three clubs cancelled. Four offers deleted in the last two weeks.

Getting the shakes! :wink:

It’s the cycle of wine buying. There’s really never an off season. I totally forgot about the Bedrock winter release as well as Lewelling. Then before you know it, January comes and it all starts again.

The big question for me is - how will the 17 Napa cabs be? Everyone is gushing about the 18 vintage being so pristine so not much mention. Might make passing, or placing a very small order, much easier next year.

Moving away from US and more towards European wines was a huge shift and allowed me to drop most of my lists.

Bdx has replaced Napa cabs, Riesling and Chenin Blanc have replaced many US whites. Sprinkling in champagne, Italian wines, and others has also helped. The only wines I tend to buy off lists now are zins (much less than previously as I’m loaded up), Oregon chardonnay, and a very select list of cabs, e.g. MacDonald.

What a relief as I find availability of the wines I buy now much greater, and the constant pressure to purchase a wine by a certain date is gone. I’m also diversifying my cellar much more, as I was in a rut of stockpiling certain producers due to repeated purchases to maintain my allocations.

Scott, if one had told me ten years ago that I’d feel as you do, I would have laughed them out of the room.
Now, I feel exactly as you do. Funny how things evolve/change, eh?

Yep. I followed the standard “wine path” of many on this board. Started with the heavy Cali wines and then slowly moved east to another continent! My goal is to permanently rebalance my cellar to 70% European, 30% US. Still have a ways to go.

I guess what everyone really needs to figure out is how much wine they plan on consuming over the next XXX years, how much they currently have in their cellars, and how much, if any, they plan on selling.

I totally get the ‘I need to get that one’ mentality - but at some point, you may amass more than you simply need or want and don’t realize it . . .

Good luck, all!

Cheers

The hardest thing is always the fomo effect, 16s are great, 17s are suspect at best, now it seems 18’s are great again so now you have three more years of buying !! it really is an addiction wether we admit to it or not. i am buying a lot of very good wine yet as with a lot of others of you told me to buy three cases of Krug and six cases of a good NV house and told me that was my yearly drinking thats two bottles of champagne a week on average i would be ecstatic and my spend would probably go down 30-50%. But when that Saxum, Alban, Tynan, Carter, Myriad, Andremilly etc email comes out im all over it regardless !!!

The good news is, Alan – since so many of those wines are best in their youth – you don’t need to have a big cellar!

Sending out release emails and allocations is how wineries conduct their business. This is not a hobby for wineries - it is a necessity to stay in business. If you don’t want the wine, delete the offer. The “Oh no, another offer” sounds like it is some kind of conspiracy to torment you. Business is business. Don’t you receive multiple advertisements in your US Mail offering all kinds of goods at all kinds of prices for certain periods of time? Not really so much different from that, in my opinion.

And speaking as a grower/producer, my 2017 is awesome in barrel. It will be there until June. I harvested it on Labor Day, a full month before the fires. I really dislike when people paint with an insanely wide brush. One size does not fit all.

Huh? Kindly point me to the area in this thread that suggests it’s a ‘conspiracy’ to torment us? And also let me/us know the area in this thread that ‘paints with an insanely wide brush’?

Asking for a friend… :ok_hand:

This. 100%. We signed up for the lists, we know they are going to come two to three times a year. We asked for it and we love it most of the time.

I have been deleting more and more offers lately so I can buy more old world wines and simply spend less. There are some offers I feel it ‘necessary’ to buy some lists, but a lot I can pass some releases and manage to make it through life.

Yep, the truth.

I don’t think any reasonable person would disagree with the first half of her comment (second half being a plug for her wine, but all good). Just curious as to the insertion of ‘conspiracies’ and the accusation of people making blanket statements… No biggie in the grand scheme of things