TN: 2014 Sean Thackrey Petite Sirah Sirius Eaglepoint Ranch

2014 Sean Thackrey Petite Sirah Sirius Eaglepoint Ranch - USA, California, North Coast, Mendocino County (11/8/2018)
Bought a bottle to sample, as I had not tasted the Sirius in a long time. It’s a blockbuster, but handles its nearly 16% alcohol better than any other wine at that level in my experience. I did not even notice the alcohol until I took a photo of the label two hours after my first glass was finished. Overall it really reminds me of being a dry Port. It has the richness of dark red fruit, and a sense of breadth that I get from Port. It’s quite an intriguing wine. I could not drink it every day, but on a cold, rainy fall evening it pretty much hit the spot.

Posted from CellarTracker

Great note David. I have extensive experience with these wines. I was assistant winemaker to Sean in Bolinas for over 10 years from 2003-2013. I just so happened to open a 2004 Sirius 2 nights ago to check in on it. Very similar to your notes, however not quite as porty as you described. The abv on this vintage is 15.3%I found it to have very animal like and petrol aromas,slightly bretty. This wine after a few hours became plush and laser focused. Should have a good 10 years left on it.

I lived in Point Reyes for a few years, right when Sean was starting to use Marin Sun Farms as his sorta semi tasting room. It was such a great experience to have dinner there and more or less any Thackrey you wanted by the glass (until they wised up about the Orion). The Sirius is outstanding.

Also being assistant winemaker to Mr. Thackrey must have been an amazing experience. I love reading his writing – really intriguing guy.

Yes. I did have a wonderful apprenticeship with Sean. I learned a great deal about things that I never would have learned in enology classes,a very intuitive and visceral style of winemaking indeed. I am now making wines in a very different style under my own brand West of Temperance.

FWIW, after attending a tasting with Sean late last year, it’s my understanding that the 2014 is the last vintage of the “Sirius” Eaglepoint Ranch Petite Sirah.

That is correct Ken.

Is Sean giving up on Petite Sirah, or was he just forced to locate a new source for grapes?

David,sorry I do not have information regarding that.

FWIW 2011 was.my last last year at Eaglepoint.

Thanks for the note. Thanks thanks for your input, Brian and Casey.

I’ve loved his wines for too long now. I have a “Doomed Vines” Marston Vineyard Sirius
Petite (1992) standing up for consumption sometimes before the end of the year. Life goes on, I suppose