Seeking advice on which Vintage Ports to open next

Here’s a short list of Vintage Ports. If my only criterion is which ones will benefit least from additional cellar time, rather than mixing in overall quality level or any other factors, which two should I open next while I let the others continue their slumber?

1977 Taylor
1985 Graham
1994 Quinta do Vesuvio
1997 Dow
1997 Fonseca
1997 Graham
1997 Niepoort
1997 Taylor
2000 Dow
2000 Fonseca

Thanks for any and all advice, especially from our resident Porto-heads, and [cheers.gif]

I’ve had bad luck with the '85 Graham. You might want to pop one of them if you have several to check in…

'77 Taylor was great last time I had it, which was many years ago.

Good luck…

My last 1977 Taylor was 2 years ago. It was mature and ready to go. I didn’t think it needed any more cellaring, though it was in no danger of fading.

I have only had really good 85 Graham

I’ve had a couple of 1994’s over the last two years and although they seemed ready to go and were very enjoyable, some on this board will claim that you are short-changing yourself if you open any VP that is younger than 40 years old.

I’ve had repeated great luck with the ‘85 Graham’s if I owned all of those that’s one I would continue to save. I’d go ‘77 & ‘97 Niepoort.

I’ve had these three withing the last 18 months:

1977 Taylor - rocking and resolved…no hurry, but no waiting needed
1985 Graham - I’ve had this over a dozen times in the past 13 years from 375 and 750 and have never been disappointed…glad I stocked up when Port was cheap…
1994 Quinta do Vesuvio - not as resolved as the other vintages, but still very approachable…

I may have gotten some bad bottles. Dave and I probably both bought them in STL – which is why I suggested he try one. I don’t doubt it’s a perfectly fine bottle of port.

Trick question! Obviously the two you open next will benefit the least from additional cellar time!

I think the '97s and '00s on your list are way too young and will develop further with additional cellar time.
I opened the '94 Vesuvio a few weeks ago. It was very good, but still primary. I would hold.
The '77 and '85 should be great, and I would open those.

I have had both the Graham wines lately. They are both great, and offer completely different experiences. I love Port a little younger then most so I would choose the 97. I think the 85 has peaked, but at a very high elevation and is holding. Picking from that list I may go with the 94 Vesuvio, as I love the way the 94s are drinking right now.

Both times I have had a 77 Taylor, it’s been corked so I can’t comment.

Only ones I would definitely wait on are the 2000s. 1997s are starting to get into a nice place. Not the most forbidding vintage of younger Port.

I’m going to give a contrary - and I know sacrilegious - opinion: You can drink most ports almost at any age. Some of my most interesting port experiences have been younger wines (like 10 years old). At that point some of the rougher tannins have smoothed a bit, but there is all the incredible fresh, youthful fruit still there. As much as I enjoy a completely resolved 40 or 50 year old wine, I’ve never gotten the pleasure from any old bottle that I have from a younger bottle. I enjoy having a bit more intensity and density, to a faded, completely resolved wine.

This 100%. I have had all of these except the 77 Taylor in the last couple of years. Not a bad one to open, not a bad one to cellar on your entire list.

I thought I was the only one who loved ‘fresh’ Port…

I enjoy it as well, but rarely drink young bottles.

The 97’s are just starting to enter their drinking window. Went to a tasting of 97’s last year and the majority were showing very well. 85 Graham is excellent. 77 Taylors depends on the bottle. There’s a huge amount of bottle variation. Some are nicely mature; others are fabulous, backward, and way too young. The 94 Vesuvio is a great wine and will benefit from a bit more age.

Nothing wrong with drinking youngish Port. Plenty to be said for that youthful exuberance once the tannins calm down a bit.

But the OP asked which ones would benefit least from additional cellar time. Said it was the only criterion. I think that implies a preference for mature, aged Port. In which case the 1977 Taylor is the best answer. I haven’t had Eric’s experience of any that tasted way too young in the last 10 years.

There’s nothing to open. Keep waiting.

These have all been good. I find Vesuvio resolves a bit earlier. The only caveat is that 2/3 of my 1977 Taylor have been corked. Folks have noted that issue here and elsewhere, so if you open it, have a back-up.