What's Your Opinion of Lewelling?

Just curious of your opinions on the wines-Napa Cabs for those not familiar with Lewelling .

I stated buying the 2010 vintage . Seemed like good QPR Napa cab. I didn’t let them cellar long enough (according to winery) before opening (so never got a good feel for them), and the 2011 were awful (they know/knew it too). Just started with the 12s, and they are good , but not great . Then again, they don’t command premium Napa pricing, and I don’t buy high end Napa Cab anyway . The 13s and 14s are cellaring, and I skipped the 15 (had other non-wine priorities for our $). Got the email for the 16 and just not sure which way I’m going to go.

What say you folks about Lewelling ?

in every year
Plus, GREAT people

+1

Disregard the ‘07 haters who will be here soon, imo Lewelling is the best deal in SVD Napa Cab and has been ever since Larkmead jacked up their prices.

I’m bringing a '12 Wight to a dinner in Philadelphia this weekend. For about $60 a bottle, you can’t beat it. Heck, even the regular bottling is good (at around $40). My first purchase was back in 2010, after visiting/tasting with David in Napa.

Thanks all. What’s your general feelings/experiences about cellaring time and decanting time/pop and pour ?

I’ve been buying since about 05 or 07. A few vintages are probably not my favorite, but it tends to be that what I score lower my wife scores higher.

In looking at their website, Haley Wight has taken over winemaking duties from David. It will be interesting to see if this changes anything. I just ordered some of Haley’s Hayfork but have not yet tasted.

I bought a few (maybe it was six?) of their 2001’s and a Wight on release and they drank very well young. Probably finished them up in their first decade. Like everything they were much lower priced back then. I might have a 2007 in the cellar, but not sure. I seem to remember they were good, but not distinctive.

Are these something one has to buy via mailing list now? not available at retail?

It is available at retail,but nit necessarily at mailing list prices.

smart buy

I had a 2004 Wight recently that was outstanding.
Great QPR and people.
They have held their price while the rest of Napa has gotten insane.

Hmm I signed up with Lewelling a year ago but haven’t received a single email. I just checked and verified my account online. So perhaps there is a waiting list for this one? Is it notoriously long? Not that I need another winery to buy from…

I’ll be getting my first offer next week. Thinking I shouldn’t pass it up. Reviews look stout

Mailing list is where it’s at for Lewelling, they’ve only had one price increase since the 2005 vintage ($10 to $110 per 2-pack) and you still get a case discount for buying 6 2-packs.

What’s the case discount look like?

10%

It is pretty notoriously long.

Ah, okay. Thanks for setting realistic expectations :slight_smile:

Well hot damn. Might have to hit a case then.

Wow. Despite being near the area, I’m not really in touch with what is going in that market.

I think got mine from some defunct NJ retailer.

Anyone ?