Week 1 - Virtual Tasting for Charity - Empty My Wallet, Help Me Support Laura's House

Tasting notes, varietals, grapes - anything related to wine
T. Altmayer
GCC Member
GCC Member

Re: Week 1 - Virtual Tasting for Charity - Empty My Wallet, Help Me Support Laura's House

#51 Post by T. Altmayer » November 18th, 2018, 5:49 pm

2015 Rhys Alesia Pinot Noir San Mateo

A very nice wine, but could benefit from a year or two in bottle. Red fruited with a bit of a xmas spice kick (not overly though). Restrained, but definitely from California. May not be as complex as the Rhys single vineyard wines, but a good QPR for California Pinot.
Tom

Dan Kravitz
GCC Member
GCC Member

Re: Week 1 - Virtual Tasting for Charity - Empty My Wallet, Help Me Support Laura's House

#52 Post by Dan Kravitz » November 18th, 2018, 6:06 pm

This is 2012 Alesia Pinot Noir, Alder Springs Vineyard, trust me on this.

This is the first time I've ever tried to take a picture of myself (Sally is watching something on TV, did not want to bother her).

The indignities we endure to help others! [snort.gif]

Dan Kravitz
Attachments
2012 Alesia Pinot Noir, Alder Springs Vineyard.jpg
swillmaster - ITB

Paul Hiyake
GCC Member
GCC Member

#53 Post by Paul Hiyake » November 18th, 2018, 6:11 pm

2011 Fogline Vineyards Pinot Noir, Sun Chase Vineyard - on first taste, this was all about bright red fruit, with a slight tea note on the finish. Lighter bodied but with lots of flavor, this just glides down the palate. With a little air, the fruit turns a little dark (maybe a little more black cherry than red cherry), and the tea note turns into a little funkier, mushroomy note.

J a y H a c k
GCC Member
GCC Member

#54 Post by J a y H a c k » November 18th, 2018, 6:14 pm

I need a second ruling. We will be having this as a starter tomorrow. Does it qualify?

2013 Marguet Père et Fils Champagne Grand Cru Shaman 13
5/15/2018 - FRANK MURRAY III WROTE:
Disgorged 10/2017, with no dosage. 76% PN and 24% Chard. The PN is evident here, giving a cool black cherry quality along with lime, light honey, a creamy presence and the same delicious chalk that I enjoy in these wines. What I find fascinating about Benoit's wines is that you have to leave any bias aside, as to think these are zero dosage and they will be lean and piercing is very far from the truth. This wines, many of his wines, show a purity of fruit and ripe presence that would seem counter-intuitive. These just drink with such a great purity and texture.
Yes, that's a DM of 1978 Mouton!

You can read my Financial Institutions Law Blog at https://www.gdblaw.com/blog?practiceID=4985.

Jud Reis
GCC Member
GCC Member

#55 Post by Jud Reis » November 18th, 2018, 6:20 pm

2014 Inman Family Pinot Noir Olivet Grange Vineyard - lovely nose of spicy cranberry, cinnamon and oregano. Still pretty tightly coiled and a little tart on the palate with dark cherry and ample acidity. I think some more bottle time will benefit this wine. Thanks again for your generosity Frank!

David Rudd
GCC Member
GCC Member

#56 Post by David Rudd » November 18th, 2018, 6:30 pm

2012 Rhys San Mateo Pinot Noir from a 500ML (hat tip Kevin Harvey for a perfect size bottle for me). This wine is in a beautiful place. beautiful old world balance with new world depth of fruit. Roses, berries and a vibrancy that keeps it fresh. 92 points

brigcampbell
GCC Member
GCC Member

#57 Post by brigcampbell » November 18th, 2018, 7:13 pm

Tasting note to follow LOL
Attachments
IMG_7286.jpg

PaulMills
GCC Member
GCC Member

#58 Post by PaulMills » November 18th, 2018, 7:39 pm

We had a wonderful evening at Posana in Asheville with Mr. Brunson, his lovely HRH, my sweet Dr C, and another couple. The OR pinots paired very well with the duck breast and pork shoulder. Both were very good, but different due to winemaker styles but also the cool vs warm vintage. We also had a Goodfellow chard with the apps.

Blake Brown
GCC Member
GCC Member

#59 Post by Blake Brown » November 19th, 2018, 8:53 am

OK Frank. I'm back in the country and willing to help out. Here's the first of a few choice Pinots over the next few days:

2016 Gypsy Dancer Estates Bayliss-Bower Vineyard Willamette Valley Pinot Noir- made from a single clone, Wadenswil, and fermented with 100% whole cluster, this single vineyard wine gave many treasures in its infancy; decanted an hour before pouring, it still took some time for it to open up as it progressed through stages until it really shined; in the nose was cinnamon, spice and clove along with dark fruit, but on the palate, the fruit profile changed into sweet red cherry with a touch of talc and later on a hint of coffee; it had mild but noticeable traces of its underlying tannic background which should ensure longevity; very good now and expected to be stellar.

I`ve reviewed wines from this producer previously as they got my attention during a visit to the region in 2005. The owner/ winemaker at that time was Gary Andrus formerly founder of Archery Summit {1993} and Pine Ridge {1978} and olympic downhill skiing fame. Gary passed away at a way too early age of 63 in 2010. HIs wife, Christine, has resurrected the label and with help from many who Gary mentored, has produced some fine Pinots in the last few years.

Gary considered his 2006 Bayliss Vineyard Pinot to be the best wine he ever made and I had the good fortune to have drunk many a bottle with fond memories.

Cheers,
Blake

fullsizeoutput_2091.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_208f.jpeg
Rock Chalk! Go Jayhawks!
Last edited by Blake Brown on November 19th, 2018, 9:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
"In victory you deserve Champagne. In defeat, you need it".
Napolean Bonaparte

“Remember gentlemen, it’s not just France we are fighting for, it’s Champagne!” – Winston Churchill

Mike Grammer
GCC Member
GCC Member

#60 Post by Mike Grammer » November 19th, 2018, 8:57 am

2014 Le Grappin Savigny Les Beaune

the fruit is from the Aux Fourneaux vineyard. I met Andrew Nielsen way back in 2011 and was delighted this found its way to the LCBO shelves. Fantastic minty, herby raspberry and lingonberry nose gives way to a super-crisp mouth of tart red berry and whisks of earth and mineral. Everything I'd think about Savigny in terms of terroir is here. Splendid wine.

2013 Kutch McDougall Pinot Noir

half of the bottle was left after 4 days on a re-try. Wow is all I can say. This is like pinot liqueur, in terms of how pure and concentrated it is. Truly evocative wild strawberry and cherry notes and still with the nip of citrus that I love to see in Jamie's McDougall. I need to backfill more of these, just a humming bottle of wine. Licklicious for sure.
Lived Life. With Love. Full Cup

Neal.Mollen
GCC Member
GCC Member

#61 Post by Neal.Mollen » November 19th, 2018, 9:51 am

2011 D’Angerville Volnay Champans.

I wasn’t really sure what to expect from this wine. It seems way too early for a wine of it’s pedigree but given the vintage I thought it was time to have a look.

The good news is that the wine was devoid of the greenies and was a pleasure to drink. The bad news is that it drank more like a village wine from an undistinguished house than a 1er Cru from D’Angerville. Pleasant, enjoyable, but not terribly complex, and I am not sure I see a ton of upside in letting it age. There was little discernible tannin, and no detectable room for growth.

Oh well, a pleasant surprise is right around the corner I bet.

BED0BC28-4A4B-4168-B4D5-F51C9E496451.jpeg
I don't have to speak; she defends me

A drunkard's dream if I ever did see one

larry schaffer
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#62 Post by larry schaffer » November 19th, 2018, 9:53 am

Jud Reis wrote:
November 18th, 2018, 6:20 pm
2014 Inman Family Pinot Noir Olivet Grange Vineyard - lovely nose of spicy cranberry, cinnamon and oregano. Still pretty tightly coiled and a little tart on the palate with dark cherry and ample acidity. I think some more bottle time will benefit this wine. Thanks again for your generosity Frank!
Had an 06 of this not too long ago - under screw cap - and it was drop dead gorgeous . . .

Cheers!
larry schaffer
tercero wines

Mike Grammer
GCC Member
GCC Member

#63 Post by Mike Grammer » November 19th, 2018, 10:54 am

Great pic, Neal! And a Burgundy, no less :)

Sorry to hear it was a bit underwhelming. I had a very good bottle of this, tasted a few months ago, it just missed getting into my WOTY list:

"2011 Marquis D’Angerville Volnay Champans

Jeff brought this and it was a fantastic chance to taste different plots and vintages along with my 05 Taillepieds. I can’t say I got a ton of Volnay typicity, missing mid-dark fruit and earthy bits and the velvet glove feel, but wow---can any 2011 red be better than this? Such gorgeous clarity of fruit and it doesn’t go away the whole night. Purest sweet raspberry and crabapple, it slides *effortlessly* down the throat. This is luminous, has real star power and has to be a candidate for my wine of the vintage. Blind? I would surely have guessed an 02 or 10 Vosne or Echezeaux. WOTN and perhaps reaches a 92 score for me."

Neal.Mollen
GCC Member
GCC Member

#64 Post by Neal.Mollen » November 19th, 2018, 11:05 am

Mike Grammer wrote:
November 19th, 2018, 10:54 am
Great pic, Neal! And a Burgundy, no less :)

Sorry to hear it was a bit underwhelming. I had a very good bottle of this, tasted a few months ago, it just missed getting into my WOTY list:

"2011 Marquis D’Angerville Volnay Champans

Jeff brought this and it was a fantastic chance to taste different plots and vintages along with my 05 Taillepieds. I can’t say I got a ton of Volnay typicity, missing mid-dark fruit and earthy bits and the velvet glove feel, but wow---can any 2011 red be better than this? Such gorgeous clarity of fruit and it doesn’t go away the whole night. Purest sweet raspberry and crabapple, it slides *effortlessly* down the throat. This is luminous, has real star power and has to be a candidate for my wine of the vintage. Blind? I would surely have guessed an 02 or 10 Vosne or Echezeaux. WOTN and perhaps reaches a 92 score for me."
LOL, actually I think we were tasting pretty much the same wine. I too was "missing [the] mid-dark fruit and earthy bits" but got the effortlessness and the raspberry. I think I was two clicks down on the luminosity though. It was very nice. I was not as impressed with it as you were. Maybe bottle 2!

Neal.Mollen
GCC Member
GCC Member

#65 Post by Neal.Mollen » November 19th, 2018, 11:19 am

BTW, I am thinking we should pool our money to make a donation to Laura's House, conditioned on FMIII accepting the justly deserved BOY award and sticking with the avatar. The dude is the classiest act we've got; it would behoove us to put him out there as out beacon to the world

Mike Grammer
GCC Member
GCC Member

#66 Post by Mike Grammer » November 19th, 2018, 11:24 am

It would behoove us, but as classy an act as he is, any recognition like this makes him very, very uncomfortable, I think. Here's what to do, Neal---get yer tushie on a flight in mid-February and come out and join us for FallTacular and thank him in person. *that* will mean the world.

Mike

bob poirier
GCC Member
GCC Member

#67 Post by bob poirier » November 19th, 2018, 11:29 am

Pinot 2.jpg
Rhys 2014 Horseshoe Pinot. Strong forest floor notes with a nice balance of red and black fruits and some spice. Relatively light body with plenty acidity.
Pinot 1.jpg
Rivers Marie 2013 SC Pinot. Bigger than the Rhys, showing more fruit and floral notes. Plenty of acid and a spicy finish.

ky1em!ttskus

#68 Post by ky1em!ttskus » November 19th, 2018, 11:56 am

Neal.Mollen wrote:
November 19th, 2018, 11:19 am
BTW, I am thinking we should pool our money to make a donation to Laura's House, conditioned on FMIII accepting the justly deserved BOY award and sticking with the avatar. The dude is the classiest act we've got; it would behoove us to put him out there as out beacon to the world
Seconded.

Frank Murray III
GCC Member
GCC Member

#69 Post by Frank Murray III » November 19th, 2018, 12:14 pm

ky1em!ttskus wrote:
November 19th, 2018, 11:56 am
Neal.Mollen wrote:
November 19th, 2018, 11:19 am
Seconded.
Guys, thank you for the kind references but that ship has sailed. I want the focus on the charity, please. With that said, whatever additional support you want to generate for Laura's House is fantastic. Post more TNs this week, make an additional donation, even as Mr Grammer says, come out to Falltacular. The event is a gas and really the culmination of the wine community giving back, and really having a helluva day and night together. Whatever you all choose to do, thank you.

I need to get some Pinot open tonight, as you can see in the photo above, Ramon Del Rosario virtually polished off that 5L of En Bas entirely himself. [rofl.gif]

PS--and a picture of Neal Mollen has surfaced............AWESOME! [dance-clap.gif]
My WOTY candidates for 2019:
2014 Marie Courtin Eloquence BdB Extra Brut
2017 Rivers-Marie PN Platt SC
2017 Kutch Pinot Noir SC PN
2009 Roederer Cristal Brut
2017 Carlisle Zin Mancini Ranch RRV

My best wines of 2018:
2017 Kutch Falstaff Sonoma Coast PN
2012 Marguet La Grande Ruelle Ambonnay

Kindness matters.

Blake Brown
GCC Member
GCC Member

#70 Post by Blake Brown » November 19th, 2018, 12:19 pm

Mike Grammer wrote:
November 19th, 2018, 11:24 am
It would behoove us, but as classy an act as he is, any recognition like this makes him very, very uncomfortable, I think. Here's what to do, Neal---get yer tushie on a flight in mid-February and come out and join us for FallTacular and thank him in person. *that* will mean the world.

Mike
+1 or however many there are in agreement. I'm going for the first time. It'd be great to meet you Neal.
Napolean Bonaparte

“Remember gentlemen, it’s not just France we are fighting for, it’s Champagne!” – Winston Churchill

GregP

#71 Post by GregP » November 19th, 2018, 12:42 pm

J a y H a c k wrote:
November 18th, 2018, 5:33 pm
I need a ruling. Searching Cellartracker, I note that I have one bottle of 2004 Alcina Pinot Noir Sangiacomo. The closures on these wines failed long ago and the last bottle I had of this (in 2014) generated this note:
  • 2004 Alcina Cellars Pinot Noir Sangiacomo Vineyard - USA, California, Sonoma County, Sonoma Coast (8/23/2014)
    Completely brown and oxidized. This appears to be an endemic problem due to the synthetic corks. BE WARNED. These may all be undrinkable. NR (flawed)
Posted from CellarTracker

Every note in CT says the wine is flawed. If I open a bottle, legitimately taste it to verify that it is undrinkable, and post a note, does it qualify?
Jay,

Neocork was a huge mistake at the time, waste of your palate/time/stem opening/drinking at this time.
G r e g P i a t i g o r s k i
I T B - i s k a r a n u w i n e

D@vid Bu3ker
GCC Member
GCC Member

#72 Post by D@vid Bu3ker » November 19th, 2018, 12:53 pm

Day drinking for charity!

2012 Kutch Pinot Noir Falstaff Vineyard - USA, California, Sonoma County, Sonoma Coast (11/19/2018)
I had a bottle of this over the summer, and decided it was in the window, so might as well keep opening them. Second bottle, same as the first - dancing across the palate like it did in August, full of red fruit, licorice spice accented earth tones and a fleeting floral component. It's quite lovely and engaging. There's one more in the cellar, and I want to get to it soon. This is too good to miss.

David Bueker - Rieslingfan

Frank Murray III
GCC Member
GCC Member

#73 Post by Frank Murray III » November 19th, 2018, 1:05 pm

J a y H a c k wrote:
November 18th, 2018, 6:14 pm
I need a second ruling. We will be having this as a starter tomorrow. Does it qualify?

5/15/2018 - FRANK MURRAY III WROTE:
Disgorged 10/2017, with no dosage. 76% PN and 24% Chard. The PN is evident here, giving a cool black cherry quality along with lime, light honey, a creamy presence and the same delicious chalk that I enjoy in these wines. What I find fascinating about Benoit's wines is that you have to leave any bias aside, as to think these are zero dosage and they will be lean and piercing is very far from the truth. This wines, many of his wines, show a purity of fruit and ripe presence that would seem counter-intuitive. These just drink with such a great purity and texture.
Yes, go for it. As for the Alcina, sure, do that one, too. If it fails, then log it as failed and I will count it, Jay.

My best wines of 2018:

Kindness matters.

Steve Doi
GCC Member
GCC Member

#74 Post by Steve Doi » November 19th, 2018, 2:42 pm

Sorry, no picture, but 2002 Arnoux RSV last night was a very pleasant surprise (I typically prefer Arnoux's Suchots and have found the RSV a bit disappointing in comparison). Last night's bottle was a beauty though, with great depth and texture, red fruit with hints of maturity, but still room to evolve.

Mattstolz

#75 Post by Mattstolz » November 19th, 2018, 5:26 pm

where does everyone upload their pictures to link?

D@vid Bu3ker
GCC Member
GCC Member

#76 Post by D@vid Bu3ker » November 19th, 2018, 6:12 pm

I just upload photos here, rather than link. Use the attachments tab in the main post editor.
9C583186-D02B-478A-97A5-847A2CCADD10.jpeg
David Bueker - Rieslingfan

Frank Murray III
GCC Member
GCC Member

#77 Post by Frank Murray III » November 19th, 2018, 6:23 pm

• 2016 Rivers-Marie Pinot Noir Bearwallow Vineyard - USA, California, North Coast, Anderson Valley (11/19/2018)
    Last had this wine during Falltacular back in February. Figured tonight would be a good time to revisit and track it across a few days. My final pour of the night starts this note, with the bottle opened about 3 hrs ago. Poured to a burg stem, ideal temp. Getting some cola in this bottle, a kind of root beer note, which I didn't find in the bottle earlier this year. The other flavors line up to what I'd expect from the Deep End, the raspberry and dark apple. Inside of the fruit core is a savory thing, an herbal note akin to a dried green herb. In total, this drinks a little more fleshy and rich than I recall so we'll see how an overnight resting in the fridge may change it....

My best wines of 2018:

Kindness matters.

Mattstolz

#78 Post by Mattstolz » November 19th, 2018, 6:26 pm

Hopefully this isn't huge. Sophie was pretty excited about this bottle Paul left with us last we had dinner! You can tell she's thinking long and hard about the beautiful nose on this wine. Lightweight red fruits, crisp acidity, just enough earthy notes to let you know it's an Oregon Pinot with burgundy in mind. Very enjoyable place right now
IMG_3511.JPG

T. Melloni
GCC Member
GCC Member

#79 Post by T. Melloni » November 19th, 2018, 6:43 pm

Happy to add another wine to the thread.
I decided to pull a bottle from the deep, hidden part of the cellar, all to add to the benefit of Laura's House.

IMG_2139.JPG
2008 St. Innocent Shea
2008 St. Innocent Pinot Noir Shea Vineyard - USA, Oregon, Willamette Valley, Yamhill-Carlton (11/19/2018)
Pop and pour. Cork broke in half. Tasted with food (chicken salad, in case you were wondering) and then on its own. Followed for several hours.
Medium ruby color. Clear.
Nose offers blackberries, black currant (kirsch) and hint of white peppercorns, and pine needles.
This is a big wine, packed with blackberries, red raspberries and dried rose petals, with a touch of cloves. Tannins offer a wet stone note as well. Plenty of acidity to balance the robust and ripe fruits. Slight showng of some heat on the finish, but that has started to fade with exposure to air.
Delicious.
This is labelled as a "Special Selection" and identified as selected from the four best barrels of Shea vineyard pinot that they made in 2008.

Not bad for a Monday.
Tho m@s (sometimes); You can call me T.

Mattstolz

#80 Post by Mattstolz » November 20th, 2018, 3:19 am

T. Melloni wrote:
November 19th, 2018, 6:43 pm
Happy to add another wine to the thread.
I decided to pull a bottle from the deep, hidden part of the cellar, all to add to the benefit of Laura's House.

IMG_2139.JPG2008 St. Innocent Pinot Noir Shea Vineyard - USA, Oregon, Willamette Valley, Yamhill-Carlton (11/19/2018)[/ i]
Pop and pour. Cork broke in half. Tasted with food (chicken salad, in case you were wondering) and then on its own. Followed for several hours.
Medium ruby color. Clear.
Nose offers blackberries, black currant (kirsch) and hint of white peppercorns, and pine needles.
This is a big wine, packed with blackberries, red raspberries and dried rose petals, with a touch of cloves. Tannins offer a wet stone note as well. Plenty of acidity to balance the robust and ripe fruits. Slight showng of some heat on the finish, but that has started to fade with exposure to air.
Delicious.
This is labelled as a "Special Selection" and identified as selected from the four best barrels of Shea vineyard pinot that they made in 2008.

Not bad for a Monday.

the last bottle of St Innocent Shea 08 I had was meh on night one, a little better night two, I opened something else for night three, and revisited it about night 5, and it was SO GOOD. I dont know what happened but it was one of my favorite domestic pinots of the year at that point.

J a y H a c k
GCC Member
GCC Member

#81 Post by J a y H a c k » November 20th, 2018, 4:39 am

Brought by "The Good Jay Miller" a/k/a "The No Oak Jay Miller" (pictured below) to the Northern Rhone offline last night as a starter. According to FMIII's note on CT, this is mostly pinot noir, so I guess it qualifies. It is a no dosage champagne, which normally means it is not my style, but last night, before I murdered my palate with 10 French syrahs, this had the sweetness of a white-fruit wine that was completely dry but played tricks on your mind to perceive just a tad of sugar. Nice acidity with a citrus melange. Is that a touch of Brioche that I taste? I love brioche and I think it's there too. This is a very nice bubbly.

Sorry about the crappy photo but I decided it would be imprudent to bring my new Nikon toy to an offline and instead went with the cell phone.

revised champagne at OL.jpg
Yes, that's a DM of 1978 Mouton!

You can read my Financial Institutions Law Blog at https://www.gdblaw.com/blog?practiceID=4985.

Neal.Mollen
GCC Member
GCC Member

#82 Post by Neal.Mollen » November 20th, 2018, 5:22 am

I agree with FMIII, it is nice to see pics of the other berserkers. Thanks for showing up

Viet Ly
GCC Member
GCC Member

#83 Post by Viet Ly » November 20th, 2018, 10:22 am

Having fun reading through this thread, thanks Frank.

On Saturday my buddy and our wives drank the 2008 Cobb Rice Spivak and 2010 Cobb Coastlands PN, pop and pour. Paired with some grilled Cornish game hens. It was interesting to see the color on the 2008 looked younger than the 2010, but the 2010 tasted younger. Both wines with nice aromatics popping out of the glass. Both wines with the lighter red spectrum of fruit that I associate with cooler climate PN: tart cherry and pomegranate. The 2008 Rice Spivak is tastes more savory and complex with vibrant acidity. I tasted flavors that I associate with light oak and some stem inclusion. The 2010 Coastlands was fruitier with balanced acidity, the crowd pleaser. Both wines without overt alcohol notes and a nice enjoyable finish. Although my wife did not like the RS (due to savory notes/stems/acid) she conceded that she felt both were well made/high quality wines (high praise from her, who usually gives a thumbs up or down).

We also had a bottle of 2017 Dönnhoff Niederhäuser Hermannshöhle Riesling Spätlese: very effusive aroma and flavors. Rich on the palate, generally would be too sweet on it's own (for me) but worked with the cheese plate we had. Maybe just in my head, but I thought a perceived a touch of petrol, which I thought only came with age (newbie to German Riesling). The wives were in love with it and it was gone pretty quickly. I prefer the 2014 bottle that we had last year... but maybe with age this vintage would win.
Attachments
cobb.jpg

Blake Brown
GCC Member
GCC Member

#84 Post by Blake Brown » November 20th, 2018, 10:29 am

Looking good Viet.
Napolean Bonaparte

Frank Murray III
GCC Member
GCC Member

#85 Post by Frank Murray III » November 20th, 2018, 12:49 pm

Viet, you're blowing up. And Jay, see, no dosage made by someone of talent like Benoit Marguet can result in a pretty cool glass of bubbly, eh.

Keep hammering up the notes and photos, gang. You're all doing great work.

My best wines of 2018:

Kindness matters.

Charlie Carnes
GCC Member
GCC Member

#86 Post by Charlie Carnes » November 20th, 2018, 2:51 pm

CAE684E4-534A-4B1C-82EE-03C65CCB15A0.jpeg

2008 Rhys Alpine PN

The nose was very pretty... The wine came across backward, austere. We still finished the bottle, was just expecting a little more.
So shines a good deed in a weary world!

Frank Murray III
GCC Member
GCC Member

#87 Post by Frank Murray III » November 20th, 2018, 4:44 pm

Charlie Carnes wrote:
November 20th, 2018, 2:51 pm
CAE684E4-534A-4B1C-82EE-03C65CCB15A0.jpeg

2008 Rhys Alpine PN

The nose was very pretty... The wine came across backward, austere. We still finished the bottle, was just expecting a little more.
Atta boy. So, you still running out of space, tripping over s##t in your cellar?
[rofl.gif]. PS--Go Clemson!

My best wines of 2018:

Kindness matters.

Charlie Carnes
GCC Member
GCC Member

#88 Post by Charlie Carnes » November 20th, 2018, 5:04 pm

Worse than ever!!! Got three more TN’s coming tonight!!! Making room....

Charlie Carnes
GCC Member
GCC Member

#89 Post by Charlie Carnes » November 20th, 2018, 6:29 pm

88AF626E-89C6-4783-A288-34B90307795E.jpeg
Julie on left, friend Stacey on right

2012 Big Basin Coastview Berserkerday Special: Hint of VA.
2016 Bachelet Bourgogne: Funky for a second. 30 minutes later sublime. Dark red and black cherry, sublime purity to the fruit. Gorgeous soil perceptions intermixed with hints of cocoa with cinnamon dancing on the edges. I can only imagine the upperclassmen for Bachelet in 2016. Outstanding wine!!!
NV Gruet 100% PN New Mexico Sparkler: Do it to it like Pruitt Gruet. Fun, easy, red fruit and strawberry, plush, quenching, quite delicious.
Last edited by Charlie Carnes on November 20th, 2018, 7:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Paul Miller
GCC Member
GCC Member

#90 Post by Paul Miller » November 20th, 2018, 6:50 pm

2011 Kosta-Browne Sonoma Coast
Hate to say, but I think it’s past it’s prime. Lots of acid. Some cranberry. I’ll try harder next time.

Randy Bowman
GCC Member
GCC Member

#91 Post by Randy Bowman » November 20th, 2018, 7:26 pm

2016 Jack Russian River Valley Pinot Noir: From the winery of Chris Ianetta, (CO Rockies, formerly with the Angels) and Vernon Welles, (Ret. from Angels, et al.) This is their first vintage of Pinot Noir to go along with their SB , Red blend and Cab. 14 % ABV. Dark fruits flash with spice on the first sip but tight. Starting to open up after 15 minutes with black raspberries and a trace of kitchen spice. Acidity and tannins not showing much but the finish is gaining some length. At 30 minutes it is still black raspberry, kitchen spice and now the tannins are making an appearance. The fruit is perfect. Not too sweet. Not too heavy. Clean and sharp, followed by the kitchen spiced tannins and at 25 seconds, some acidity as the finale. Should age very well. Suggest a 15 to 30 minute decant or at least an hour open before serving. It goes very well with my Smoky Cheddar cheese and crackers right now but I can think of a lot of real food this wine can accompany.
IN THE BUSINESS SHILL: An associate of a person selling goods, who pretends no association to the seller and assumes the air of an enthusiastic customer.

A. So
GCC Member
GCC Member

#92 Post by A. So » November 20th, 2018, 7:30 pm

Well, coincidentally, just finished a big Clos Vougeot tasting...
  • 1981 Domaine Daniel Rion et Fils Clos Vougeot - France, Burgundy, Côte de Nuits, Clos Vougeot Grand Cru
    Served double blind. Moderate bricking. Fairly earthy nose, with a mild dose of muddier fruit; tends towards the red side of things as well. Cool on the palate, fairly structural with more acidity and still a little bit of tannin. Shows a bit of age, I’m thinking something along the lines of 1996? My 4th, group's 10th.
  • 1983 Moillard Clos Vougeot - France, Burgundy, Côte de Nuits, Clos Vougeot Grand Cru
    Served double blind. Nice earthy tones on the nose, as well as some brown spice and a hint of fruit. The palate is fairly rounded, but not too concentrated. Medium-bodied, but still some structure yet to be resolved. Tannins come across as a little bit ornery. Clearly one with some age, given the colour. Maybe 1996? My 3rd, group's 5th.
  • 1988 Mongeard-Mugneret Clos Vougeot - France, Burgundy, Côte de Nuits, Clos Vougeot Grand Cru
    Served double blind. Lots of damp earth and mushroom on the nose of this one, with some of the same showing up on the palate as well. Not the cleanest wine, there is something fairly funky about this on the palate. Shows really lean, with some harsher tannins. Not too much fruit here anymore. Seems a bit dessicated, and if anything, on a bit of a down slope? 1988? My 8th, group's 11th.
  • 1996 Louis Jadot Clos Vougeot - France, Burgundy, Côte de Nuits, Clos Vougeot Grand Cru
    Served double blind. Very deep and intense fruit here, a little more liqueur-like, and some candied fruit flavours. Nice mix of red and black fruit, but here the tannic structure is definitely showing a little more raw. Probably a bit on the younger side, and coupled with the tannins and flashy fruit. My 6th, group's 7th. (Labelled Domaine Louis Jadot.)
  • 1998 Domaine Jean Grivot Clos Vougeot - France, Burgundy, Côte de Nuits, Clos Vougeot Grand Cru
    Served double blind. Lovely perfume here with a slight kirsch/cough syrup note, but a really nice earth/mushroom thing going on in the back end as well. Tannins here are again quite potent, and there’s a slight touch of heat here. My guess is another riper vintage, perhaps 2005 given the tannin? My 7th, group's 8th.
  • 1999 Domaine Château De La Tour Clos Vougeot - France, Burgundy, Côte de Nuits, Clos Vougeot Grand Cru
    Served double blind. Lovely nose, that balances the earthy mushrooms and red fruit in a nice way. The palate shows a soft fleshiness, and there is a slight bit of astringency on the palate, perhaps from some stem inclusion? A little autumnal, with some dried leaves. The palate doesn’t quite live up to the promise of the nose. My 9th, group's 8th.
  • 2002 Gros Frère et Sœur Clos Vougeot Musigni - France, Burgundy, Côte de Nuits, Clos Vougeot Grand Cru
    Served double blind. Potent coffee tones on the nose that seem to indicate a bit of oak use. Some brown spice as well. Underneath it all is some sappy fruit and a mild mushroom note. I actually quite like the palate, showing in a slightly more opulent style, but there is a slight astringency and hotness here on the finish. On the other hand, this is rich and shows a fair bit of layered complexity. My 1st, group's 2nd.
  • 2003 Domaine Leroy Clos Vougeot - France, Burgundy, Côte de Nuits, Clos Vougeot Grand Cru
    Served double blind. Slight bit of prune or Port on the nose here, as well as a touch of roastedness. The earth is definitely missing, and there’s a sweet jamminess here that I’m not fond of. Potentially a 2003? All in all, this is a fairly tame wine, but any earthy nuance seems to be missing. My 11th, group's 1st.
  • 2006 Domaine Jacques Prieur Clos Vougeot - France, Burgundy, Côte de Nuits, Clos Vougeot Grand Cru
    Served double blind. There seems to be a thickness to this wine here on the nose. Lots of density and black fruit here, and missing some of the earthy nuances. The earthiness seems to pop up more on the palate, but the complexity isn’t quite there. If anything, there’s a slight sense that this is a little watery on the palate, despite the big structure. Feels a bit clumsy and alcoholic. Oak pokes through a bit, too. My 10th, group's 6th.
  • 2009 Domaine Méo-Camuzet Clos Vougeot Près le Cellier - France, Burgundy, Côte de Nuits, Clos Vougeot Grand Cru
    Served double blind. Very bright, with some cranberries and strawberries on the nose, along with a mild hint of confection. Lighter in style, with some nice juiciness here, and the strawberries being quite prominent. Juicy, and while not the most complex, certainly quite yummy. No sense of green, this could be 2008. My 2nd, group's 3rd.
  • 2013 Alain Hudelot-Noellat Clos Vougeot - France, Burgundy, Côte de Nuits, Clos Vougeot Grand Cru
    Served double blind. Fairly complex nose, with lovely red fruit, earth, and just a hint of spice. Clearly on the younger side as well. Slightly confectionary on the palate, with some tart strawberries and candied tart cherries. Quite pleasant but not too complex, perhaps owing to the very young age. My 5th, group's 4th.
エaイdドrリiアaンn (93 pts.)

A. So
GCC Member
GCC Member

#93 Post by A. So » November 20th, 2018, 7:32 pm

And a few more from dinner last night:
  • 2005 Lucie & Auguste Lignier Clos de la Roche - France, Burgundy, Côte de Nuits, Clos de la Roche Grand Cru (11/19/2018)
    Initially, this was a fairly dense wine, but you could already tell then that there was a lot of really high-quality material here. As more of the bottle was drained, this started to really open up, and also developed a very slight hint of brett that actually added interest to the wine. Sweet fruit, with a tannic structure that is surprisingly accessible, although there is obviously no rush to consume these now. Personally, I like where this is at, and will probably drink down my small parcel of these over the next few years. (It was remarked that this wine was "grand cru AF". I can't disagree.)
  • 2014 Méo-Camuzet Frère et Sœurs Bourgogne - France, Burgundy, Bourgogne (11/19/2018)
    Very juicy. I'd have expected something a little more black, but it's comfortably sitting on the red side of the spectrum. Sweet and light, but plenty to enjoy still. Tannins are surprisingly prominent for the level, and there's a slightly bitter finish.
  • 2014 Daniel-Etienne Defaix Bourgogne - France, Burgundy, Bourgogne (11/19/2018)
    The nose here has a lot of raspberry and strawberry notes. It's really light, and pretty much exactly what you would expect with pinot noir grown in Chablis. Juicy, primary, and light, this is a wine meant for immediate consumption. There's a bit of green here, but it's not a particularly unpleasant quality.
エaイdドrリiアaンn (93 pts.)

T. Melloni
GCC Member
GCC Member

#94 Post by T. Melloni » November 20th, 2018, 8:02 pm

As DJ Khalid would say... another one:

2014 Patricia Green Cellars Pinot Noir Balcombe Vineyard Dundee Hills - USA, Oregon, Willamette Valley, Dundee Hills (11/20/2018)
Pop and pour.
Tasted on its own and then with food (pho ga, with spongy chicken meatballs, in case you were wondering).
Then continued to enjoy without food.
Deep ruby color. Clear.
Nose offers some forest floor, wet earth and raspberries. Slight hint of licorice and tobacco leaves as well.
Flavors of black and red rapsberries, some wet earth, and herbal and floral notes. Bright acidity to match the flavors. Showing a little heat on the entry, even though this is registered as only 13.8% abv.

Another one for Laura's House.
We the best ....

IMG_2167.JPG
PG Balcombe 2014
Tho m@s (sometimes); You can call me T.

Paul Hiyake
GCC Member
GCC Member

#95 Post by Paul Hiyake » November 20th, 2018, 9:54 pm

2008 Grochau Cellars Pinot Noir Cuvee des Amis - earthy cherries on the nose, same flavors follows through on the palate with a little bit of funk, little bitter streak on the finish detracts a bit when tasting the wine on its own, but worked nicely with a grilled pork loin for dinner.

Jeff Vaughan
GCC Member
GCC Member

#96 Post by Jeff Vaughan » November 21st, 2018, 7:54 am

A FEW PINOTS FOR LAURA'S HOUSE - (11/21/2018)
  • 2017 Gérard Boulay Sancerre Rosé - France, Loire Valley, Upper Loire, Sancerre
    Crisp and refreshing rose. There is a little rain on hot pavement aroma along with light melon and an orange or citrus note. Solid acidity. I like it.
  • 2014 Domaine / Maison Vincent Girardin Bourgogne Cuvée Saint-Vincent - France, Burgundy, Bourgogne
    This followed a Foillard Cote du Py and initially it suffered for that. Subdued nose at first that, with air, took on spice and earthy notes. On the palate this is fairly light bodied with dark cherry and again some light spice and earthly notes. This is a nice Bourgogne.
  • 2011 Williams Selyem Pinot Noir Russian River Valley - USA, California, Sonoma County, Russian River Valley
    Similar to my note from 4 years ago. The vintage shows in this is on the lighter side for CA pinot, but that is one of the things I like about it. There is a slight root beer or sassafras note. Moderate acidity. Ann thought it was too big and a little sweet. I liked it more than her, but this style of wine is something I only want to drink every once in a while.
Attachments
IMG_3992 (2).JPG
IMG_3990 (2).JPG
IMG_3989 (2).JPG
CT: outplaying

dave kammerer
GCC Member
GCC Member

#97 Post by dave kammerer » November 21st, 2018, 8:55 am

2016 Loring Cargasacchi Vineyard pinot noir Good fruit went down way too fast.
Attachments
IMG_1656new2.jpg
IMG_1656new2.jpg (9.41 KiB) Viewed 765 times

Blake Brown
GCC Member
GCC Member

#98 Post by Blake Brown » November 21st, 2018, 10:57 am

Twist my arm again and again Frank:

2000 Brogan Cellars Russian River Valley Reserve Pinot Noir- 13.9% abv; this was absolutely stellar hitting all of the right spots from the nose through the tail; it had a still youthful red burgundy color; the aromatics were redolent of cinnamon and spice mindful of my mother’s homemade applesauce; red raspberry was the first dominate fruit profile to show up with red cherry backing it up by mid palate; it had an elegance that was also represented in the mouthfeel with its soft and smooth texture; I`ve had many a bottle of this and the regular 2000 and they continuously give the ultimate treasures of a great Pinot Noir.

As mentioned most every time I review BC wines, they are made by dear friend Margi Williams, daughter of Burt of the initial Williams Selyem fame. Margi established her own identity and has crafted some great wines over the years. Due to health issues, she just retired but her wines live on in optimal health and well being.

Cheers,
Blake

fullsizeoutput_2097.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_2098.jpeg
Roelanda and me in Pinot bliss
Napolean Bonaparte

Frank Murray III
GCC Member
GCC Member

#99 Post by Frank Murray III » November 21st, 2018, 2:17 pm

Wow. You cats have really cranked in the posts. A So really got down with a # of notes--thank you. And Mr Vaughan, thanks for bringing the challenge to your table this week. Charlie, your wife is now joining the effort, as is Blake's. Love it. Mr Melloni, too--always got my back.

Whether you put the photos up or not, keep banging out the TNs and let's run this up a few more pages and chew some of Frenchie's server space.

My best wines of 2018:

Kindness matters.

Charlie Carnes
GCC Member
GCC Member

#100 Post by Charlie Carnes » November 21st, 2018, 3:08 pm

Allright, we're goint to get Todd to engage backup server!

Goodfellow 2015 Heritage No. 6: Amazing Vosne spice on the nose, dark Cherry fruit, and wow dark soil tones. These are initial impressions after 30 minutes. I'll refine after we finish, and add a pic.

Return to “Wine Talk”