06 Comtes, 14 Bouzereau Perrieres, 89 Montrose & Lynch, 98 Palmer

Five members of the DC contingent of Bordeaux Wine Enthusiasts gathered at Dino’s Grotto to catch up over some great food and wine.

The burrata, duck bolognese lasagna, cinghiale pasta, and lamb chop were among the many hits on the menu that we sampled. Dino’s pastas are killer.

I had to leave early and missed the dessert wines, 1998 Muller Catoir Musbacher Eselshaut Riesling Eiswein and a JJ Prum of some repute. The dinner wines did not suck. The reds were all decanted on site and drunk over 3 hours.

2006 Taittinger Champagne Brut Blanc de Blancs Comtes de Champagne - France, Champagne (11/5/2018)
Nose has a great mix of lemony citrus and peach plus fresh baked bread. Ripe yellow fruits, bracing fresh acidity, sense of minerality, very concentrated and focused on the palate. Medium finish. Still young but showing more depth than last year. Will drink well for many years. Outstanding.

2014 Michel Bouzereau Meursault 1er Cru Les Perrières - France, Burgundy, Côte de Beaune, Meursault 1er Cru (11/5/2018)
Pale yellow. Lemony citrus and minerals on the nose. Medium body, palate follows the nose, crisp acidity, medium finish. Excellent.

1989 Château Lynch-Bages - France, Bordeaux, Médoc, Pauillac (11/5/2018)
Perfect cork and fill. Decanted and drunk over 3 hours. Dark red core, lightening at rim. Excellent nose of dark fruits, cedar, iron, just beginning earthy complexity. Full body, great palate feel and balance, medium-long finish. Outstanding but a half step behind the 89 Montrose, which was more mature and complex. Well-stored bottles of Lynch have still not peaked. This one was still on the upswing. Would expect more in another 5 years.

1989 Château Montrose - France, Bordeaux, Médoc, St. Estèphe (11/5/2018)
Cellared since release, cork stained 80% of the way up but no signs of leakage, perfect fill. Decanted and drunk over 3 hours. Red core, lightening and a bit of bricking at rim. Wonderful complex nose of black fruits, leather, earth, cedar, with hints of olive and greens to add more complexity. Soft on the palate yet full-bodied, dark fruits and complexity follow the nose, beautiful balance, medium-long finish. Fully open and ready but I wouldn’t rule out potential for added complexity over time, this should continue to drink well for many years. Outstanding.

It was given a stiff challenge by a well-stored 1989 Lynch Bages with a perfect cork, great depth, balance and palate feel, and emerging complexity. The Lynch was a half step behind but still on the upswing. Would expect more in another 5 years.

1998 Château Palmer - France, Bordeaux, Médoc, Margaux (11/5/2018)
Dinner at Dino’s Grotto DC. Decanted and drunk over 3 hours. Dark red core, minimal lightening. Mix of dark and red fruits on nose with hints of leather and spice. Not as effusive as the 1989 Lynch or Montrose. Medium body, firm structure, good fruit on palate, well balanced, medium finish. No real complexity yet but the fruit and structure are there. Should improve with further cellaring. Very good-excellent now with an upside.

David,
Nice wines. The '89 Bdx are not my wheelhouse, but sound great. Thanks for another data point on the '06 Comtes. This sounds like the last one I opened in June. Holding the rest for a bit. And Bouzereau is not a name I follow, thanks for the heads up on that one.
Cheers.

Thanks for the notes, especially the 89 Lynch. I have a box plus two testers with exceptional provenance, so I am hoping they have years.

Dennis, a friend brought the Bouzereau, I’d never had it before.

Steve, I’ve had more developed bottles of 89 Lynch, but they had been purchased long after release. The most ready bottle I’ve experienced was a 375 someone had bought at auction around 2010. Every bottle I’ve opened from my cellar has needed time. I think this wine will last decades.

Thanks David. The dessert wines went home with CB for next time.