WOTYs--2018 Edition -- TABULATIONS COMPLETE

Tasting notes, varietals, grapes - anything related to wine
Mike Grammer
GCC Member
GCC Member

WOTYs--2018 Edition -- TABULATIONS COMPLETE

#1 Post by Mike Grammer » November 6th, 2018, 11:36 am

Again, thanks to everyone who participated across a few different threads. From that collection of data, I was able to parse through 610 entries.

We sure do have a pretty broad diversity. Somewhere around 250 different wineries were mentioned. There was some fun in that a 3-year vertical of MacDonald, 2014, 2015 and 2016 got different people's vote for one of their wines of the year. The Pax, the 3 votes for that were the ONLY votes for any Pax by anyone, also fun. I think the oldest wine was from the 1860s and the youngest from 2017.

Soooo..... [winner.gif]

Well, 2 winners actually. My early line prediction held. With four votes each, the 2010 Coche-Dury Corton Charlemagne and the 2002 Krug carry the day. The 02 Krug was one of a number of wines in the show position back in 2016. This is Coche's first time to crack the top 3 in any year since I've been keeping track (2013)

Two wines also shared the "show" position this year. I well remember some people's comments when I talked about my first taste of the only wine in the 16,500 or so that I've tried which has yet merited a perfect score from me. The statements were something like "this is the one wine that doesn't seem to have any but the highest praise from everyone". So it has been through these WOTY compilations, with the 2001 D'Yquem getting 3 votes this year after finishing top of table last year and in 2014 and in the 2nd place position in 2016.

The other show wine was a big surprise for me! The 2016 Pax Sonoma Hillsides Syrah picked up 3 votes. There were at least 8 wines with 2 votes each, but I won't list all those here.

In terms of house numbers, D'Yquem is best with 15 mentions, then Krug with 13 and DRC with 12. Coche had 9 votes and Ramonet showed very strongly this year with 9 as well. Same with Latour, 9 votes. The other houses getting over 5 votes, many of them the usual suspects on this tour:

Allemand: 5
Arcadian: 6
Rousseau: 8
Giacosa: 6
Haut-Brion: 5
Rayas: 6
Chave: 8
Dom: 6
Domaine Leflaive: 6, a nice comeback for them
Giuseppe Rinaldi: 6, also very nice to see!
Huet: 5
Mugneret-Gibourg: 5
Rhys: 5
Trimbach: 6

Cults? Well, Scarecrow, Abreu, Colgin each got one vote. Screaming Eagle and Harlan? NA-DA. Schrader? one vote.

Biggest surprise for me was SQN checking in with only 3 votes. That is very low for them. Bevan has been up a little in the past, but only one mention this year. Just one Rouget, two Roumiers, one Dagueneau and one Clos Rougeard. No Prager--none at all. In Bordeaux, a li'l surprised that Ausone did not make anyone's list. And there was no---ZERO--Roulot. Super-surprised at that.

OK, c'est tout. My OP is below. Until next year everyone.

Mike

As always, if anyone knows of any "halfway through the year" threads that I have missed, please post the links and I will be happy to incorporate those threads/wines into the final tabulations.

Let's get to work. No surprise there was huge difficulty paring the list down to 22. Some really fine stuff did not make it on.

DISCOVERY OF THE YEAR: I continue to think back on how much fun I had drinking the Rucksack Barbera Rose from El Dorado county. Boy that stuff was good. A 2011 Donnhoff Niederhauser Hermannsholle Ries Spat basically completed my conversion to German Ries as a good thing. Am I allowed to nominate a non-wine? If so, Cava de Oro Gran Anejo Tequila absolutely knocked my socks off. It is unlike anything I've ever had before.

WOTY LIST (scores beside the wines where the description moved me to score)

The 01 D'Yquem had the highest score but I disqualify any previous winners from coming first again. My note on the current leader, the Meo CC

"Sniffadeedoodah aromatics which are part pear, part ginger, part almond extract and mostly mystery. A sensational delight dans la bouche, so sleek yet subtle power here too, with requisite freshness and already very sublimely expressive. All you can want in a white burg and in the WOTY discussion for me. Pure magic."

The Monfortino gave it very strong competition

1961 Marchesi di Barolo Barolo
2001 Chateau Suduiraut
2001 Nicholas Joly Coulee de Serrant (94-95)
2008 Chave Hermitage Blanc (94)
1998 Arcadian Sleepy Hollow PN
1998 Elio Altare Barolo Brunate
2012 Hospice Meursault Genevrieres Cuvee Philip le Bon (Drouhin Elevage)
2001 Chateau D'Yquem (98+)
1996 Huet Clos du Bourg Moelleux 1er Trie
2005 Jacques Prieur Musigny
1995 Chateau Ducru-Beaucaillou
2010 Pichler M Gruner Veltliner
2009 Copain James Berry Roussanne
2015 Meo Camuzet Corton Charlemagne
1993 Chateau Pazjos Tokaji Eszencia
2016 Rhys Alpine Chard
2016 Limerick Lane Rocky Knoll Zin (94)
2012 Coche Dury Bourgogne Rouge (96)
1995 Giacomo Conterno Barolo Monfortino (96+)
2007 Chateau Rieussec
2005 Drouhin Griottes Chambertin
2015 Damien Laureau Les Genets Savennieres (93)

Looking forward to everyone's submissions. As in past years, I will tabulate everything once New Year's is past.

Sante,

Mike
Last edited by Mike Grammer on January 8th, 2019, 11:45 am, edited 4 times in total.
Lived Life. With Love. Full Cup

Sean Malloy
GCC Member
GCC Member

Re: WOTYs--2018 Edition and your Discovery of the Year

#2 Post by Sean Malloy » November 6th, 2018, 12:18 pm

Discovery of the Year: 2006 Renato Keber Friulano Collio. Just wow, amazing complexity, full bodied with good acid, spicy and stony while still showing nice "stone fruitiness."

Wine of the Year (so far): 1999 Gaja Langhe Nebbiolo Sorì Tildìn. Nose for days...smelled so good I didn't want to drink the last glass.

Mich@el Ch@ng
GCC Member
GCC Member

#3 Post by Mich@el Ch@ng » November 6th, 2018, 12:18 pm

You can probably copy/paste the responses from my post if you want

My woty:
2005 Nicholas Rossignol Volnay 1er Chevrets
2007 Tor Kenward Cabernet Sauvignon Cimarossa Mast Vineyard
2013 Ramonet Chassagne Montrachet 1er Clos de La Boudriette
2010 Pierre Yves Colin Morey Corton Charlemagne
1990 Krug
1990 Margaux
2001 Rieussec

Discovery of the year was the Ramonet.

Dennis Atick

#4 Post by Dennis Atick » November 6th, 2018, 12:30 pm

Not a discovery, per se, but my overarching mantra again this year was to continue with a quality over quantity mindset in both purchasing and consumption.
@decaturwinedude

Mike Grammer
GCC Member
GCC Member

#5 Post by Mike Grammer » November 6th, 2018, 12:30 pm

Much thanks, Michael, and apologies for missing your OP. I've cross-posted there. Anyone who responded there need not repost here (unless you want to, of course!).

Good to have some people out of the starting blocks on this.

I don't know if anyone handles the Boudriotte plot better than Ramonet.

Mike

LMD Ermitaño

#6 Post by LMD Ermitaño » November 6th, 2018, 3:38 pm

Discovery of the year: 2012 Biondi-Santi BdM Rosato (never had Biondi-Santi’s rosato before - the only rosé I’ve had so far that threatens to dislodge Tempier’s from being my favourite rosé).

Runner-up discovery: 1985 Champagne Delamotte Blanc de Blancs (from a friend; my first time to have Delamotte’s BdB this old, which I preferred to the ‘96 Krug he served along side it).

Wines of the year:

1999 Mascarello Monprivato (from a friend);

1995 Biondi-Santi BdM Annata (my first time to try Biondi-Santi’s regular bottling of BdM; purchased from Enoteca Vanni in Lucca, Italy in June);

1989 Château Palmer (a particularly good bottle thereof purchased in February at K&L, SF);

1985 Col d’Orcia BdM Riserva Poggio al Vento (from the wine list of Osticcio in Montalcino this June);

1990 Château Angelus (hadn’t had it in a while; a friend’s bottle served blind at a dinner);

1989 Champagne Alain Robert Le Mesnil Blanc de Blancs (Magnum, from a friend); and,

1990 Chapoutier Côte Rôtie La Mordorée (from a friend).

Like most everyone else, it is almost impossible to single out a definitive “WOTY”; but, if I had to, at this point, my choice would be the young and unassuming 2014 Fontodi Flaccianello della Pieve for its sheer balance, purity, clean lines and food-friendly lift (from the wine list of Ristorante Cibreo, Florence, heavily recommended by the sommelier - I liked it so much that I made sure to buy more to bring back to Manila).
Luis Manuel Debuque Monreal Ermitaño

Kirk.Grant
GCC Member
GCC Member

#7 Post by Kirk.Grant » November 6th, 2018, 7:06 pm

My discovery this year was that not all Champagnes will age well, even top producers in good vintages...

Liking well aged Dom does not mean that I'll like other well aged Champagnes...
Cellartracker:Kirk Grant

Jeremy Holmes

#8 Post by Jeremy Holmes » November 6th, 2018, 7:18 pm

My discovery of the year: Australia is making some brilliant Chardonnay wines. The 2016 Penfolds Chardonnay Reserve Bin 16A is a beauty.

Shortlist for WOTY is:

1959 Jadot Musigny
1937 Armand Naulot Clos Vougeot
1983 Ramonet Montrachet
2014 Pierre-Yves Colin-Morey Chevalier-Montrachet
1985 and 1986 Bonneau du Martray Corton-Charlemagne
2008, 2010 and 2012 Coche-Dury Corton-Charlemagne
1990 Faiveley Musigny
2009 Hubert Lignier Clos de la Roche
2016 Comte Liger-Belair La Romanee
2002 Domaine de la Romanee-Conti Romanee-Conti
1999 Domainede la Romanee-Conti Romanee St.Vivant
1934 Giacomo Conterno Barolo
1955 Wynns Michael
1928 Chateau Latour
1988 Krug Clos du Mesnil Magnum
1985 Charles Heidsieck Champagne Charlie
1967 Quinta do Noval Nacional
1861 Chateau Vigneau, Sauternes

The 1861 Chateau Vigneau, Sauternes is my WOTY thus far.
ITB

Alan Eden
GCC Member
GCC Member

#9 Post by Alan Eden » November 6th, 2018, 9:45 pm

Jeremy

Never really thought of Aussie Chard's, what would you compare them to style wise are they Chablis like, Cali oak/butter bombs, rounded but no oak/butter ?
There are 10 kinds of people in the world, those that understand binary and those that don't

Sean_S
GCC Member
GCC Member

#10 Post by Sean_S » November 7th, 2018, 12:14 am

I'll go a different direction. I've had so many great wines at offlines and various local tasting groups it would be even hard to start. So many unicorns out there I've encountered lately. Life is good...

WOTY : Berserkers Offlines and more. Amazing California, Bordeaux and Burgs. The Silicon Valley Offline Crew Rocks!!!!!!! Twist my arm for a wine. Wes popped an 1970 Grand Cru burg on labor day that redefined my whole universe as to what was possible with ~50 year old wine. And, I thought the '86 Montebello custom unicorn from George couldn't be beat.

Discovery of the Year: Easy, http://www.birichino.com from Santa Cruz. We've killed close to a few cases of their Malvasia Bianca Pet Nat, its yum! Everything John and Alex make works for my palate. These guys deal with unique terroir and vines, take risks, and make unique restrained wines. The results and the QPR speak for themselves. Thanks George!
CT: Seanwsmithm3
Summit Rd, Redwood Estates, CA

Scott Brunson
GCC Member
GCC Member

#11 Post by Scott Brunson » November 7th, 2018, 2:44 am

Ws otY (top of my head)
75 Yquem
88 Yquem
86 Salon
02 Krug several times (even too young)
08 Rayas
15 MACDONALD

Ds otY
We were really impressed by WBer Kurt Beitler's wines at Bohème
A friend imports a delightful cheap Rosé from Portugal--Quinta de Arcossó Bastardo Rosé
Tous les chemins mènent à la Bourgogne!
On CT, I'm S1

Dennis Atick

#12 Post by Dennis Atick » November 7th, 2018, 3:14 am

Sean_S wrote:
November 7th, 2018, 12:14 am

Discovery of the Year: Easy, http://www.birichino.com from Santa Cruz. We've killed close to a few cases of their Malvasia Bianca Pet Nat, its yum! Everything John and Alex make works for my palate. These guys deal with unique terroir and vines, take risks, and make unique restrained wines. The results and the QPR speak for themselves. Thanks George!
Sean- Jim Cowan has been touting Birichino for a couple years now. I trust his palate and I have been meaning to try them. Thanks for more inspiration. Cheers.
@decaturwinedude

Eric Egan

#13 Post by Eric Egan » November 7th, 2018, 4:00 am

WOTY was a 1961 Gruaud Larose - a good head above the rest of the field. Easily up there with the best BDX of my life - drunk at home with my family (and parents/siblings visiting).

Discovery was probably Bouchard's Montrachet 2014. One of the best Montrachet's I've had and a revelation to drink it this young - it was superb. I've only ever had significantly older bottles (or occasionally tasted immediately on release, without the few years this has had in the bottle). If I had bought a bottle, rather than a glass at a bar in an airport, I would have kept it for at least 20 years before opening it. What this will be like in 20 years is of course another matter...
Composer and Lecturer | UK

Alan Eden
GCC Member
GCC Member

#14 Post by Alan Eden » November 7th, 2018, 4:44 am

Got to ask which airport serves Montrachet ? NE UK, certainly not Tyneside airport !!
There are 10 kinds of people in the world, those that understand binary and those that don't

Mich@el Ch@ng
GCC Member
GCC Member

#15 Post by Mich@el Ch@ng » November 7th, 2018, 4:51 am

I’ve only tried a few times but weren’t good chards being made at Margaret River? I tried a leewin art series that was pretty good.
Jeremy Holmes wrote:
November 6th, 2018, 7:18 pm
My discovery of the year: Australia is making some brilliant Chardonnay wines. The 2016 Penfolds Chardonnay Reserve Bin 16A is a beauty.

Shortlist for WOTY is:

1959 Jadot Musigny
1983 Ramonet Montrachet
1990 Faiveley Musigny
1955 Wynns Michael
1928 Chateau Latour

Martin Petersen
GCC Member
GCC Member

#16 Post by Martin Petersen » November 7th, 2018, 5:40 am

Alan Eden wrote:
November 7th, 2018, 4:44 am
Got to ask which airport serves Montrachet ? NE UK, certainly not Tyneside airport !!
My guess is Schiphol, NL, at the seafood bar.

Best regards

///Martin

G. Bienstock
GCC Member
GCC Member

#17 Post by G. Bienstock » November 7th, 2018, 6:57 am

Too early for WOTY but my discovery is Rucksack Chenin Blanc.
Glenn

Positive Rastaman Vibration

ITB 1999-2005

Jim F
GCC Member
GCC Member

#18 Post by Jim F » November 7th, 2018, 7:36 am

Discoveries of the year. I posted back in April about Patria, Tony Biagi’s own label of cabernet/ blends. Really terrific juice. Another discovery that comes to mind is Seavey cabernet- I do not like the way they age. I was buyer starting 1990, and I love the power in their youth, and some, not all, are really nice with a few years bottle age, e.g., 2007. But other than that, not my wheelhouse (anymore).
Jim Freeman

Mike Grammer
GCC Member
GCC Member

#19 Post by Mike Grammer » November 7th, 2018, 9:56 am

Two votes for Rucksack as discovery--awesome! Paul would be very pleased. My notes on the Chenin and Rose from my visit in the summer

"2017 Rucksack Chenin Blanc

4 year vines, which we can see from the outside tasting area sloping down. Clay/loam soil, picked at 19.5 Brix. Quite aromatic with a bit of sea air playing in. nice and light, has appley freshness

2017 Rucksack Barbera Rose

Done Provencal style. Here, there’s some strawberry and pomegranate bits to scent. And this is *fun*. It has all the flash of barbera but without the searing acidity and it has all the fruit. Why haven’t more people done this? I grabbed a bottle."

There are a number of fine Aussie chards out there for my palate. Leeuwin Art Series (I'm opening a 2013 tomorrow) and (when someone else is paying ;) ) Prelude, Penfolds Yattarna, Petaluma, Giaconda if you like a bigger style, and for super QPR in most years, Moss Wood. Voyager and Vasse Felix can be good too.

Sean, lovely thoughts there.

Joe Raymond
GCC Member
GCC Member

#20 Post by Joe Raymond » November 7th, 2018, 10:53 am

Discovery of the year? Easy....German Riesling...
Wine of the year?? 2013 Abreu Madrona Ranch
"That's what i do. I drink and I know things."

Jeremy Holmes

#21 Post by Jeremy Holmes » November 7th, 2018, 3:03 pm

Alan Eden wrote:
November 6th, 2018, 9:45 pm
Jeremy

Never really thought of Aussie Chard's, what would you compare them to style wise are they Chablis like, Cali oak/butter bombs, rounded but no oak/butter ?
Hi Alan,

Stylistically they have shifted to more elegant, paired-back wines. You can still get large-scaled, powerful wines but gone are the buttery, buxom things of yesteryear. There are many producers striving for the struck match, flinty character that a lot of people admire.

Regions to seek out include Margaret River, Adelaide Hills, Yarra Valley, Mornington Peninsula, Tamar Valley, Coal River Valley, Beechworth. Producers that are making exciting Chardonnay include Holyman, Stargazer, Tolpuddle, Penfolds, Leeuwin Estate, Vasse Felix, A.Rodda, Giaconda, Oakridge and Kooyong.

Cheers
Jeremy
ITB

Vince T
GCC Member
GCC Member

#22 Post by Vince T » November 7th, 2018, 4:30 pm

Woty is probably a tie between ‘01 Climens and ‘81 LdH tondonia gran reserva blanco.

Discovery Of the year are wineries from central Spain - Bodegas Ponce from east of Madrid in Castillo La Mancha and Bernabeleva from the west. Wines of finesse and energy. Especially the Bernabeleva wines that taught me that Grenache can be a wine of grace when made well.
T s 3 n g

Mike Grammer
GCC Member
GCC Member

#23 Post by Mike Grammer » November 8th, 2018, 8:12 am

You intrigue me with your pillow talk of elegant Grenache, Vince! That 81 Tondonia must have been in a great drinking window. Happy to hear the 01 Climens may be opening up the kimono at last.

Jeremy, thanks, lots of producers I have not heard of. Is anyone on Tazzie making any worthwhile Chard? Sorry for the slight thread drift...

Further drift, I've had a number of tries at various Kumeu River bottlings and have had one great one and about 5 ordinary bottles.

Mike

M.Kaplan
GCC Member
GCC Member

#24 Post by M.Kaplan » November 10th, 2018, 7:16 pm

My wine of the year: 2013 Szent Tamás Szőlőbirtok és Pincészet Nyulászó 1-es hordó Tokaji Édes Szamorodni at Tigris Restaurant in Budapest. I drank two glasses with our dinner there, then returned twice to drink it again over the next few days. The restaurant closes in the afternoon after lunch service, so they kindly set up a table on the sidewalk outside the restaurant for me to sit and enjoy drinking this wine.

A 2015 Tokaji Wine Auction wine: https://tokajiborlovagrend.hu/en/auctio ... odni-2013/
---Mark

Vikrant Rachakonda

#25 Post by Vikrant Rachakonda » November 15th, 2018, 5:45 pm

WOTY: 1990 Pichon Baron
Discovery: Sigalas Vin Santo 2008

dcornutt
GCC Member
GCC Member

#26 Post by dcornutt » November 15th, 2018, 6:01 pm

2002 Krug
2001 Ramonet Montrachet
2001 Leflaive Chevalier Montrachet
2010 Coche Dury Corton Charlemagne
1959 Faiveley Corton Clos des Cortons
1985 Pousse d'Or Volnay Clos de la Bousse d'Or
1980 Pousse d'Or Volnay Clos de la 60 Ouvrees
2000 JF Mugnier Musigny
2007 Rousseau Chambertin Clos de Beze
2007 Rousseau Chambertin
1989 Lynch Bages
DON Cornutt

"Before you eat or drink anything, carefully consider with whom you eat or drink rather than what you
eat or drink,because eating without a friend is the life of the lion or the wolf." Epicurius

Mich@el Ch@ng
GCC Member
GCC Member

#27 Post by Mich@el Ch@ng » November 15th, 2018, 6:51 pm

Ooh other discovery of the year, British Columbia reds. Okanagan valley Grenache and Syrah we’re both fantastic

R. Smith

#28 Post by R. Smith » November 15th, 2018, 7:02 pm

dcornutt wrote:
November 15th, 2018, 6:01 pm
2002 Krug
2001 Ramonet Montrachet
2001 Leflaive Chevalier Montrachet
2010 Coche Dury Corton Charlemagne
1959 Faiveley Corton Clos des Cortons
1985 Pousse d'Or Volnay Clos de la Bousse d'Or
1980 Pousse d'Or Volnay Clos de la 60 Ouvrees
2000 JF Mugnier Musigny
2007 Rousseau Chambertin Clos de Beze
2007 Rousseau Chambertin
1989 Lynch Bages
How do you think the 1989 Lynch Bages compares to the 1990? I just opened the latter and was extremely impressed.
R y @ n

Sean Malloy
GCC Member
GCC Member

#29 Post by Sean Malloy » November 18th, 2018, 7:56 am

M.Kaplan wrote:
November 10th, 2018, 7:16 pm
My wine of the year: 2013 Szent Tamás Szőlőbirtok és Pincészet Nyulászó 1-es hordó Tokaji Édes Szamorodni at Tigris Restaurant in Budapest. I drank two glasses with our dinner there, then returned twice to drink it again over the next few days. The restaurant closes in the afternoon after lunch service, so they kindly set up a table on the sidewalk outside the restaurant for me to sit and enjoy drinking this wine.

A 2015 Tokaji Wine Auction wine: https://tokajiborlovagrend.hu/en/auctio ... odni-2013/
Just saw this. I don't know about wine of the year, you have to be nominated as honorable mention in post of the year just for typing that wine name.

MitchTallan
GCC Member
GCC Member

#30 Post by MitchTallan » November 19th, 2018, 4:04 pm

Dennis Atick wrote:
November 7th, 2018, 3:14 am
Sean_S wrote:
November 7th, 2018, 12:14 am

Sean- Jim Cowan has been touting Birichino for a couple years now. I trust his palate and I have been meaning to try them. Thanks for more inspiration. Cheers.
I've been drinking a fair amount of Birichino lately. They now ship to Ohio. Fantastic wine and fantastic people and very modest pricing. They've replaced two wineries I will not mention for my go-to wine.

paul hanna

#31 Post by paul hanna » November 19th, 2018, 4:39 pm

Jeremy Holmes wrote:
November 6th, 2018, 7:18 pm

Shortlist for WOTY is:

1959 Jadot Musigny
1983 Ramonet Montrachet
1990 Faiveley Musigny
1955 Wynns Michael
1928 Chateau Latour

You forgot one!

1929 R.Roger Musigny....probably my wine of then year, along with that 2016 La Romanee.

dcornutt
GCC Member
GCC Member

#32 Post by dcornutt » November 19th, 2018, 4:46 pm

R. Smith wrote:
November 15th, 2018, 7:02 pm

How do you think the 1989 Lynch Bages compares to the 1990? I just opened the latter and was extremely impressed.
I absolutely adore the 1989. I have only had the 1990 a few times and not in recent months. The 1989 is more focused to me. It reminds me of Chateau Latour in many ways.
DON Cornutt

"Before you eat or drink anything, carefully consider with whom you eat or drink rather than what you
eat or drink,because eating without a friend is the life of the lion or the wolf." Epicurius

dcornutt
GCC Member
GCC Member

#33 Post by dcornutt » November 19th, 2018, 4:47 pm

M.Kaplan wrote:
November 10th, 2018, 7:16 pm

Tigris restaurant is SO good!
DON Cornutt

Mike Grammer
GCC Member
GCC Member

#34 Post by Mike Grammer » November 27th, 2018, 10:00 am

How a champagne and a Bordeaux snuck onto your list, Don, I'll never know [grin.gif]

Updated mine to include the dazzling 2015 Damien Laureau Les Genets Savennieres

Laurent Gibet

#35 Post by Laurent Gibet » November 27th, 2018, 10:11 am

Discovery : Banyuls Vial-Magnères and more precisely cuvée Al Tragou

Domaine Vial-Magnères : AOC Banyuls ’’Al Tragou’’ 1990 : 19/20
Domaine Vial-Magnères : AOC Banyuls ’’Al Tragou’’ 1985 : 19/20
Domaine de la Romanée-Conti Romanée St-Vivant 2007 : 19/20

Jaboulet Hermitage La Chapelle 1991 : 18,5/19
Frédéric Emile 1990 : 18,5/19
Clos Ste-Hune 2015 : 18,5/20+

18,5/20
Stella di Campalto Rosso di Montalcino 2012
Maury Mas Amiel 1970
Sauternes Haut-Bergeron 2005 (50 cl)
Vouvray Foreau moelleux réserve 1989
Châteauneuf Rayas rouge 2001
Vouvray Foreau Goutte d'or 1990
Raveneau Chablis Butteaux 2010
Corton-Charlemagne Bonneau du Martray 2014
Barolo Bartolo Mascarello 2006
Châteauneuf-du-Pape Rayas rouge 2000
Bertani Recioto della Valpolicella Amarone 1962
Alves de Sousa Gaivosa Porto Tawny 20 ans
Clos Ste-Hune 1967
Clos Ste-Hune 1975
Clos Ste-Hune 1990
Clos Ste-Hune 2001
St-Julien Gruaud-Larose 1990
Dow's Vintage Port 1994
Champagne Laurent Perrier brut rosé
Champagne Dom Pérignon Plénitude 2 1998
Châteauneuf-du-Pape Pignan 1999
Rayas red 2008
Domaine Vial-Magnères : AOC Banyuls ’’Al Tragou’’ 1990
www.invinoveritastoulouse.fr

Subu Ramachandran

#36 Post by Subu Ramachandran » November 27th, 2018, 10:51 am

WOTY: 1976 LDH Bosconia

Discoveries: This is the fun part for me.

1. Canary Islands: Ignios by Borja Perez - up there with Envinate.
2. Ribeiro: Luis Rodriguez whites. Match up for any white burgs.
3. 100% Munier based champagnes: specifically Michel Loriot and Prevost.

Loren Sonkin

#37 Post by Loren Sonkin » November 27th, 2018, 2:10 pm

I always enjoy this exercise, but as always, at least a few and probably more are still to be opened in 2018 (hopefully). I will check back later on. Thanks Mike!
With regards,

Loren Sonkin
Columnist at www.Intowine.com

JohnP

#38 Post by JohnP » November 27th, 2018, 2:18 pm

Best**
2002 Krug - Best champagne I've ever had. What an eye-opener to great vintage champs. Beautiful color and richness.
1955 Francesco Rinaldi Barolo - Purchased for $55 Euro and it was singing!

Worst
1974 Ridge Monte Bello - Purchased two through Aucwine and both were duds

**Note, our Christmas lineup should be stellar. Might have to update after New Years.
John Pollard

Mike Grammer
GCC Member
GCC Member

#39 Post by Mike Grammer » November 27th, 2018, 2:40 pm

Thanks all. John, I usually leave the thread open for about a week before doing final tabulations ;)

Jeremy Holmes

#40 Post by Jeremy Holmes » November 27th, 2018, 3:03 pm

Paul, that 1929 R.Roger Musigny was indeed stunning and probably in my top 3 for the year.
ITB

Jayson Cohen

#41 Post by Jayson Cohen » November 27th, 2018, 5:25 pm

Subu Ramachandran wrote:
November 27th, 2018, 10:51 am
Great wine. Now sadly beyond my price range.

B. Buzzini
GCC Member
GCC Member

#42 Post by B. Buzzini » November 27th, 2018, 5:30 pm

WOTY - 2010 Coche-Dury Corton-Charlemagne

DOTY - Emidio Pepe
Meursault-head!

B. = Brian

Jayson Cohen

#43 Post by Jayson Cohen » November 27th, 2018, 6:03 pm

WOTY - updated from the other thread - can’t pick one so might as well pick 24.

1914 Larose-Faure
1955 Lafite Rothschild
1959 Domaine de Chevalier
1970 Vega Sicilia
1978 Dom Perignon
1979 Haut Bailly
1981 La Tache
1988 Yquem
1993 Chevillon NSG Cailles
1993 Henri Jayer NSG
1995 Chave Hermitage
1996 Von Schubert Maximin Grunhaus Abtsberg Spatlese
1996 Huet Le Mont Moelleux 1er Trie
1998 Trapet Latricieres Chambertin
1998 Müller-Catoir Haardter Burgergarten Riesling Spatlese
1999 Allemand Cornas Sans Soufre
1999 Bize Latricieres Chambertin
2001 R. Haart Piersporter Goldtropfchen Spatlese
2004 Roulot Meursault Charmes
2008 DRC Montrachet
2008 Huet Le Mont Demi-Sec
2008 Roederer Cristal
2009 Larmandier-Bernier Les Chemins d'Avize
2010 Juge Cornas

DOTY: Dirty & Rowdy, particularly the Mourvedres - better late than never
Last edited by Jayson Cohen on December 26th, 2018, 1:23 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Sh@n A
GCC Member
GCC Member

#44 Post by Sh@n A » November 27th, 2018, 6:26 pm

WOTY: My first Yquem. Starting out with my cellar, I said "NFW would I pick up a half bottle of dessert wine at that price... not matter how good it was". One tasting later and my Visa card is the proud owner of more than a couple...

DOTY: I'm gonna need to age my newly purchased burgs a decade more than I planned for.... :(
/ @ g r @ \

Chris T.
GCC Member
GCC Member

#45 Post by Chris T. » November 27th, 2018, 7:54 pm

WOTY - 1978 Sassacaia, which I believe is one of the first if not the first year of production

Discovery of the Year - Commando G which is some fantastic garnacha being made out of Greda in Spain.
T r a p p

Subu Ramachandran

#46 Post by Subu Ramachandran » November 28th, 2018, 5:19 am

Jayson Cohen wrote:
November 27th, 2018, 5:25 pm
Subu Ramachandran wrote:
November 27th, 2018, 10:51 am
Great wine. Now sadly beyond my price range.
Jayson, I hear you. Sadly I'm in the same state...not chasing these absurd prices.

When I saw a bottle still available at PJ for over $300. I felt I should have sold it!

Subu Ramachandran

#47 Post by Subu Ramachandran » November 28th, 2018, 5:20 am

Chris T. wrote:
November 27th, 2018, 7:54 pm
WOTY - 1978 Sassacaia, which I believe is one of the first if not the first year of production

Discovery of the Year - Commando G which is some fantastic garnacha being made out of Greda in Spain.
[thumbs-up.gif]

Was one of my discoveries last year. Even their entry level wines are fabulous!

H Wallace Jr
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#48 Post by H Wallace Jr » November 28th, 2018, 9:34 am

Jayson Cohen wrote:
November 27th, 2018, 6:03 pm
DOTY: Dirty & Rowdy, particularly the Mourvedres - better late than never
That is very kind. [worship.gif] Thank you!
Hardy Wallace itb
Dirty and Rowdy Family Winery: Mourvèdre and Semillon Together at Last

Russ Williams
GCC Member
GCC Member

#49 Post by Russ Williams » November 28th, 2018, 9:49 am

2000 Musar was a revelation of how good these wines can be with age.
Listen to more Jerry, it will heal your soul.
9/1/74 - Keystone Berkeley

Chris T.
GCC Member
GCC Member

#50 Post by Chris T. » November 28th, 2018, 6:27 pm

Subu Ramachandran wrote:
November 28th, 2018, 5:20 am
Chris T. wrote:
November 27th, 2018, 7:54 pm

[thumbs-up.gif]

Was one of my discoveries last year. Even their entry level wines are fabulous!
Agreed picked up a case of the entry level stuff. Didn’t last me 6 months before the next one was ordered!

So tasty
T r a p p

Return to “Wine Talk”