Cooling Unit Replacement

Been using Breezeaire for the last ~13 years. Unit #1 lasted 10+, Unit #2 (a WKE4000) didn’t make it 3. Looking for suggestions on alternatives. A first glance, I like the looks of the CellarPro 4200VSi based on size (almost identical to existing through the wall unit), controls, built in option for front or rear power and the ability to control on a networked thermostat. Anybody have experience with that unit? Others for 1,000 cu ft cellar in a through the wall installation back into a large basement storage room?

Honestly, I would look into a Coolbot. Only 300 bucks + a normal window AC unit. Much, much cheaper, and you can set the temp colder than 55. I’ve had it for about 8 months now after my breezaire died. I have mine set at 52 deg and with the Coolbot, a 8,000BTU AC unit keeps a 900 cubic foot cellar nice and chilly.

Any idea what went wrong with the Breezeaire? Currently refurbishing a 10 year old winemate and I’m curious as to the kind of things that go wrong with these devices.

??? I already have almost $300 into the service calls and assessments. The unit is at a major, local commercial refrigeration service company that i have used at my business regularly. I just received the following from them: " We have taken the unit apart and installed ports to pressurize the unit. We have put the unit under pressure twice and both times and it dropped from 100psi to 25± in a couple of days . We have not investigated the location of the leak as we want to get approval before proceeding. Our experience with these types of units is that the leaks are a majority of the time in the evaporator or condenser and are not repairable. In addition to that due to the cost in labor to replace these parts we would recommend replacement of the unit instead of repair. If you wish to repair our labor rates would be about $86 per hour and would not include parts or materials. Currently your bill for the work done is $271.74. Please let us know how you wish to proceed." I wish to proceed by moving on from Breezeaire. It has a parts warranty still in effect but NO SERVICE (they estiamte $300-$400) and my shipping costs, both ways wouldbe ~$200. Not happy with them!

+1. I wrote my review/experience here if you want more info:

No experience with that particular CellarPro unit but that’s the route I’d go.

Your unit probably has a leaky coil so you could ask the local guys what that would cost and then decide if it’s worth rolling the dice. The alternative is to ship it out to CA to the shop that fixes these (I’ll look them up if you wish). A new coil is probably a few hundred dollars but by the time you add shipping you’re better off with a new CellarPro.

This what I have . Bought a couple of years ago. Does great job in hot Miami.
Whisperkool Extreme 8000ti

The Extreme Platinum Series is WhisperKOOL’s most advanced and powerful self-contained cooling unit. The Extreme is designed to fit between standard wall studs for simple “through-the-wall” installation with minimum modification to existing wall structures. Extremes are acceptable for mounting through an exterior wall and can operate in a 110°F exhaust environment. The Platinum Series includes our most advanced LED liquid temperature controller and upgraded electronic components. The systems are designed to maintain 55°F and 50-70% relative humidity in cellars up to 2,000 cubic feet. Made in the USA.

Operates in extreme environments
Simple installation – between wall studs
Advanced electronic control system
Liquid bottle probe
Humidity control
Energy saving mode
Fully ductable
55°F temperature differential
External grille available for exterior venting
2 Years Part & Labor, 5 Year Parts on the compressor

How to Build a Wine Cellar

Size: 22-1/2"H x 14-1/4"W x 27-1/2"D

Installation Notes:
Mounts easily through your wine cellar wall and vents to an adjacent room or outside. Venting space must be as big or larger than you wine cellar. Your cellar must be properly insulated and vapor sealed for the unit to cool properly.

The CellarPro is the best thru the wall unit on the market backed up by great customer service.

I have a CellarPro 1800 and am very happy with it. I convinced a friend to go with a 4200 and he is very happy with it. The only regrets either of us have is not getting the remote display/control unit. I think we could still do it but neither of us want to spend the money now.

If my 1800 dies I will likely replace it with the same thing.

I potentially have some insurance coverage on my policy for equipment breakdown. Waiting to see how far I can get them to go but pretty much decided on the 4200. Considered the wifi interface (for a Nest or Ecobee thermostat) but then decided that I could only monitor remotely and turn the temp up/down. I don’t turn my temp up or down once its set and I already have a remote monitor with both temp and humidity alarms. That option would also negate the on board control panel and all of its functionality. Best of my knowledge, both that option and the remote display options must be purchased and configured at the factory prior to shipping. Leaning towards the stock 4200 possibly with the extended warranty.

CellarPro.
Best, Jim

So, my second Breezaire (a WKE4000) in 15 years is on its last legs. Rather than try to fix it, I just ordered a Cellarpro 4200VSI (similar to the OP inquiry). Should work well with my set-up which vents to a garage (that sometimes gets hot). The question is, I ordered it with the optional wiring for a wifi thermostat. I can mount inside the cellar, or if I buy the Nest, I can use a remote sensor and mount outside the cellar like my current controller is mounted. What would you do? Also, for those who have installed these, the instruction manual says the package weights something like 150 lbs. I am told that includes packaging and maybe even the pallet it ships on. Can two people actually lift the thing six feet off the floor to install it, while maneuvering it through a hole with a small gap?