Lousy tasting note for a Great wine

2008 Auteur Willamette Valley Pinot Noir

I pretty much stink at writing tasting notes, so please keep that in mind.

We opened this wine two nights ago and enjoyed it as a pop and pour. The color was a beautiful lighter red, while the nose screamed of red fruits. On the palate, again bright red fruit balanced by very nice acidity and minerality. Both my wife and I said, “Wow, this is a great wine.” We enjoyed the bottle over several hours before a late dinner.

As I said, my TN’s are not great, but this wine sure was.

David

Edited to correct poor spelling.

Nothing wrong with that…

Well, the “palet” thing, but other than that the note is fine!

+1! Nothing wrong with the note at all!

David, From your note, I learned what the wine looked, smelled and tasted like and that there are at least two people who really enjoyed drinking it. Good to know. Thanks. -Jim

I’ve had some delicious 2008’s over the past few years. Seems I should dig a few more out for sampling. It was a generous vintage and should be in the mature range for many of the wines. If you want to have fun with tasting notes, try to write the same note in several different styles. Take Richard Jennings as one “type”, Clive Coates as another, Robert Parker as a third, you get the idea. It is a great tongue in cheek exercise.

cheers,
fred

Sounds like you liked it! Sometimes that’s all we really need to know.

I’d say it is 80% of the job of a TN, especially once you become a “known quantity.” Convey something about the style of the wine and your enthusiasm (or lack thereof) and the note’s done its job. It is why I can’t get all worked up about scores; if you give a wine a 95 it’s pretty easy to conclude that you liked it.

FIFY!

[scratch.gif] (I’m more DENSA than MENSA)

I agree with all the above.

Well, except for the palete thing.

(Hint: two a’s, one e.) neener

Anyway, what’s the point of a tasting note? To remind yourself of what you thought and maybe to tell other people what you thought. That’s a lot better than saying something like a wine “exists in all dimensions”, which is vacuous and conveys nothing.

David - the TN was fine and it did it’s job efficiently. Plus I liked the humor in your title.

I’ll increase the pedant count in this thread with the following:

• Palate is what you taste with.

• Palette is what you paint with.

• Pallet is what you ship with. Also a part in a mechanical watch for the watch geeks, and another meaning or two.

If you’re dealing in pallets of wine and you’re not ITB, you’re a baller. Probably an excessibe baller.