I hate big bottles - I cannot lie

No, not magnums et al, but over sized 750s. I now this has been discussed ad nauseam but I just do not get why a producer that does not need to bling up their packaging does this. What got my ire was a couple of cases of 2014/2015 PYCM P-M and St. Aubin that arrived last week. These bottles are weirdly thick, very wide with a punt that runs a third of the way inside. They are way too big for any of my racking (in which all my other burgundy bottles fit fine), requiring me to take up valuable floor space or stack free form on their sides. I hope this is not a trend.
[swearing.gif] deadhorse

Then do not buy them. Easy.

I heard some guys like big bottles.

I’m sure a lot of ppl will take that pycm off your hands.

This other brotha can’t deny

If it was any of but a small number of producers that would be the easy and acceptable solution. Even then still irritating.

As much as I like the wine, I am over the Turley bottles. Both the weight and the shape are pains.

You need some bespoke shelving player.

Drives me nuts - particularly PYCM and Caroline Morey. I also dislike odd-shaped Champagne bottles.

Don’t you dare hate on Krug sir champagne.gif

Would that everything be put in Bordeaux bottles.

Agree the PYCM bottles are big, but they still fit in my racks. I actually like the 6 bottle flat pack cardboard shipping box that PYCM uses. Easy to handle and stores well in my offsite shelves. It’s a clever design with integrated cardboard tabs to separate the bottles. Compact and easy to recycle.

Hate can be overcome. In any event, it’s Comtes de Champagne bottles that really annoy me.

#metoo

The bottle shape is why I gave up on them

+1

Ohh, the crosses we all must bear.

Agreed. I gave up on PYCM for just that reason but cant give up Comtes

Big bottles, small feet.

PYCM wants extra long necks so he can use extra long corks and have them as a seal for their full length. He does that to minimise premox risk. He used to have a bottle supplier who could do that with regular-ish formats but that supplier went bust so he had to use an off-the-rack alternative for a couple of vintages: those are the extra big bottles we all hate. He’s designed a new bottle that will allow him to keep on using the long corks while fitting in normal racks. I think this is going to be used starting with the 2017 vintage.

flirtysmile champagne.gif [cheers.gif]