TN: 2013 Altesino Brunello di Montalcino

• 2013 Altesino Brunello di Montalcino - Italy, Tuscany, Montalcino, Brunello di Montalcino (11/3/2018)
    Nose: The nose is nuanced and perfumed with violets, sour red cherries, strawberries, licorice, leather, savory notes, roasted herbs, and a touch of tobacco. There is good depth with a fresh elegance to it.

Taste: Medium bodied with medium+ acidity and medium+ tannins. The structure is youthful, but the fruit is fresh and tart with sour red cherries, strawberries, roses, roasted herbs, savory notes, and some licorice.

Overall: This is extremely pretty as it’s been open for 6 hours. It needed the better part of that much air right now as it struggled to open at first. The tannins are silky, yet youthful and provide a backbone for this to easily age another 7+ years before it hits its peak. (91 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

I just popped one of these two weeks ago, loved the style. Not a blockbuster, life changing Brunello, just super-solid, fresh and elegant.

You know… Altesino makes an inexpensive Rosso Toscana that is just great.

this is exactly what I love about this bottling. Wines don’t always have to be blockbusters for me as elegance is what I really want in a wine

Karl,

funny enough, I was eyeing up the 2015 rosso before grabbing this [cheers.gif]

Keith
It’s really nice.

Really enjoyed this one as well once it had a few hours of air.

How does it compare with the 2010s?

Hi John,

I’m finding this to be slightly more fresh and red fruited whereas I found the 10s to have a savory and floral side. It’s been a little bit since I’ve opened a 10, but I recall them to be more giving immeasurably than the 13s have been. That said, they’re both wonderful Brunello vintages IMO and will provide a nice comparison to each other in a few years

Thank you Keith. Good idea, would be nice to do a vertical in future.

First bottle open from our trip to Italy. Purchased these in town in Montalcino. In great shape but will give the rest some more time to see where it goes. So good now though.

10/15/2021 rated 92 points: Decanted at dinner and followed over 90 minutes. Ruby red in the glass the wine is super expressive on the nose. Floral and juicy berry notes are inviting on the nose and follow on the palate. Medium body with red berry fruit with dusty tannins and some herbal notes following the fruit. It has a bit of structure but very drinkable now. Paired with 36 hour sous vide tri tip it was very good on it’s own and great with the beef.

1 Like

Thanks. I have an unopened six pack so may cue up a bottle this fall.

The 13 Altesino Riserva is still available at an attractive price. I just picked up a few from here https://www.shopritewines.com/sku28398.html