TN: 2007 Virage

I had coravin’ed a couple of glasses a couple of weeks ago, and at that time, I was a bit surprised that it was still a bit tight and restrained. Tonight I cracked open the bottle to drink up, a little worried that my experience with Coravin is that wines tend to start to fall apart a bit after a couple of weeks - however, my fears were misplaced, as this bottle showed beautifully tonight! Black cherry, a little graphite, leather, all perfectly integrated - this was absolutely singing tonight! Congrats Emily - I may need to hit you up to see if you have any left to restock!

Another Aaron Pott wine!

Man, I just love these Virage wines and Emily is awesome to boot – please another BerserkerDay special!!

She’s been a BD Rockstar

Aw, you guys are so sweet, your comments are holiday blessings. Paul Hiyake I would love to restock you. Isn’t it incredible how delicious the 2007’s are tasting. Still unfolding over the course of an evening.

Initially my mission was to produce a wine built to age, and early signs were good (took four freaking days on the counter to unwind and full flavor complex to bloom), but now we know… Indeed, there are ~21 cases left.

For anyone considering a case, I can have ZEPHYR deliver full cases within CA overnight. For anyone wanting a few bottles, or a mixed order, I’m doing plenty trips to FedEx before (and after) Xmas; if there are any 2007’s left, they will be part of the 2019 BerserkerDay offering, but don’t wait, life is short. Just use code BD25 now, and enjoy. I think it’s a 4bottle minimum (mostly because I have a lot of 4-paks). If you like lush, the 2010 is fab. If you like s m o o t h and earthy there’s maybe 7 cases left of 2008. And the 11 and 12 are good too. 2012 is most like the 2007, with that graphite layer and the black cherry. 2011 is pomegranate and gravel…

Cheers. And BTW, Aaron Pott does not make the Virage wines; I do. Without Aaron’s early advice and encouragement, however, I would never have done this. We worked together way back when at Quintessa and he was an early supporter and consultant to this project.

Actually, Paul, what am I thinking… I will be in Pasadena staying with a friend New Years’ Eve. I can deliver myself!

Haha, we’re going to the IceHouse New Years Eve for a good laugh to say G’Bye to 2018.

Just drank the 12 over several days, got better each day, a young wine, delicious!

Emily - I am glad to hear you sounding positive - we and others went through a haul of emotions following the October 2017 fires. I have just started to feel - in the last 4-6 months - an optimism I had not felt for sometime. I feel like you are, too. I had your 2007 years ago and it was rocking good…can’t imagine how smoothed out it must be with even a few more years on it. Well done.

Mr. Ormond’s comment on Pott’s involvement surprised me- thanks for clearing that up!

Great wine for sure. I do believe that Ray was being vintage specific though, the 2007 mentioned in thread title, but I could be wrong as it’s only 5:33 am and I have already been wrong twice today… :slight_smile:
Cheerios!

1 Like

Yes, Mike, I meant the 2007 only. So you are not wrong 3 times in one day. Regardless of who is responsible for what, it is a terrific wine.

I will be opening the 2007&2008 in an upcoming tasting. Any suggestions for how early to open them? Do you suggest a decant as well?
Thanks!

These are also great 375’s, great for week nights

Thinking of drinking a 2008 tomorrow. Any thoughts on opening/decanting?

I would open early am and taste. Make my decision based on that. Most likely at least a 2hr decant if not more. They definitely need air.

Thanks, Matt! Actually, we may have a bit tonight and leave the bottle open for tomorrow. We like them smooth and developed, and I get the sense that could do the trick.

Oops! Just opened it, and, magically, it became a 2007! (my cheesy CellarTracker skills blush …).

Anyway, hints on how long to keep open, decant, or whatever for drinking most of it tmw night?

BTW, first taste was very nice, but it needs some air to open and soften I think.

Gosh, where was I at Christmas when you sweet people were drinking my wines. Oh, yeah, new boyfriend!! We were awash in goo-goo eyes for four days at Christmas. Pretty nice! But back to the point.

In MY humble opinion, the 2007 is good to go in a few minutes, then continues to deepen up and be amazing over the course of dinner… I think the 2008 can take 30 minutes or an hour, but honestly pretty darn good right at opening as well.

These have some nice age on them. They’re tasting really nice. Especially the 2007, honestly. My personal fave, but Hey, who am I to argue to with Matty… he loves the 2008