TN: 2014 Heresztyn Mazzini Gevrey Chambertin Clos Village

Even better than the 14 and completely open. A bit larger in scale with dark fruits and nice spice. This is just wonderful.

Just popped a 375 from Envoyer and thrilled with this wine, wish I had more. It’s on the gulpable side, almost Cru-Boo’ish in that sense, but the floral/cherry notes with a touch of earthy funk are just fantastic.

14 and a half?

I have these too and am amazed the were so cheap; best qpr maybe ever. Wish I bought more.

What? The 14 better than the 14?

That’s a really good description - also why I didn’t like it. pileon

Same same.

Either of you got some I can take off your hands!? : )

this pinot tastes like GAMAY? Ugh.

I had the 13 of this wine last night and for the price point, a steal and a decent weeknight wine.

2014 Domaine Heresztyn/Heresztyn-Mazzini Gevrey-Chambertin Clos Village - France, Burgundy, CĂ´te de Nuits, Gevrey-Chambertin (1/29/2020)
– decanted 35 min. before initial taste –
– tasted non-blind over a few hours –

NOSE: ripe; red-fruited; bit of caramel; a touch green/leafy; slight woodsy spice note in the background; hint of molasses.

BODY: little bit of superfine particulate matter present; ruby core, lightening to orange-ruby at the edges; color is of medium-shallow depth; light to medium-light bodied.

TASTE: woodsy spice; light to medium-light concentration of fruit; touch of pine; a bit lighter/thinner than I prefer; surprised this is “supposed to be” a $75 wine — I wouldn’t be a repeat buyer above $25.

50, 5, 11, 14, 6 = (86 pts.)

Bummed to have two more bottles. Maybe more age will help things? We’ll see …

I really enjoyed the 2013 clos village and The 2013 bourgogne

1914 instead of 2014?

Fourth bottle of this - and it’s making me question whether it’s an off bottle or just an outlier expressing age. My first bottle a year and a half ago was my favorite, and I’ve been just a little bit less impressed with each successive bottle, maybe it’s on a gradual decline? This bottle was clearly “off” to start - I thought possibly corked, definitely muted, something not quite right on the nose, not nearly as expressive as prior bottles, generally unpleasant in a vague way. But I didn’t dump the bottle, and now on day three it’s actually pretty good - the perfume has come back on the nose, dark cherry floral, frankly a bit more “profound” and typically Gevrey than my first bottle which I loved for its Bojo-ish exuberance. My main takeaway is don’t give up on a bottle too soon - and as I look back on some of the CT tasting notes, definitely see how this producer may have some significant bottle variation.

(by the way, did Michael ever explain how the '14 was even better than '14!?!) ; )

This domaine started to use the same plastic corks as Ponsot - but I don´t know since which vintage …
(I´m less than excited)
A 2011 Gevrey-Ch. Goulots was very good (with natural cork) - but nothing tasted since.

1 Like

Sixth and last bottle of my stash from Envoyer and this one was the best of the bunch, most Gevrey of the bunch, great earth meets floral dark cherry character, leather notes in the background.

3 Likes

I think i have nine bottles still, so that is good to hear.

Glad to finally have this wine out of my cellar entirely. I just never got along with it as well as others have.

2014 Domaine Heresztyn/Heresztyn-Mazzini Gevrey-Chambertin Clos Village - France, Burgundy, CĂ´te de Nuits, Gevrey-Chambertin (5/16/2022)
– decanted 1.25 hours before initial taste –
– tasted non-blind over 2 to 3 hours –

NOSE: underripe to moderately ripe red berries; no brett; savory aspect that comes across as rhubarb, perhaps.

BODY: no sediment; medium-light bodied.

TASTE: light concentration of fruit – very light; red-fruited; no tannin; light cherry; light, thin, and boring — waste of money.

50, 5, 11, 13, 5 = (84 pts.)

This picture is from a 2016 Clos Village. First off, I am unsettled by the cork on this thing; it is an absolute monstrosity. The wine is strange too, like it was completely de-acidified. I really wanted to like this producer, but this cloying and grapey version makes me want to look elsewhere.

I included the dogs to offset that hideous cork.

1 Like