Did you buy into 2017 Bordeaux En Primeur?

The '15 and '16 were great vintages and reports state '18 will be great as well. Did anyone buy '17s? If so, which and why? I was thinking of maybe skipping the '17 unless I could be persuaded.

I brought into it, as I felt there was some value. Some compared it to a 2014+, where wines could be drunk slightly earlier than the '15s and '16s.

However, given that '10, '15, '16 and now '18 are considered vintages of the century, I dislike how EP has become a marketing machine. Additionally, I feel that you could get aged wines for the same price from great vintage years.

Nope. I bought alot (for me) of '15 and '16, so I was gonna wait for the in-bottle impressions.

2017 is a perfect auction vintage - overpriced at EP, so it’s bound to fall in two or three years from now. Some of the wines sound quite good and when they drop to 2014 prices, which they will, it’ll be worth looking at, with a better idea of which ones are good.

Went deep in 2014 and 15 and (somewhat) 2016 in wines I knew I liked that seemed to have some upside in pricing when buying early. Skipped 17 as the opportunity didn’t seem to be there. And I’m seeing some good 2014s/2015s returning to their release price (or below). I think we’re in for a glut. If recent history is a guide, 2018s will also come out too high except for a handful of producers who will use low first-tranche pricing to tempt consumers. But buying those will be like threading a needle.

No.
Big on '16 & few '14’s-yes

After 14, some 15 and 16. I’m staying on the side!

Backfilled on ‘15.

Is ‘18 supposed to be good? Haven’t heard anything about it

2017 is a vintage to be ignored unless you have a specific need for halves or mags of a particular wine. One could almost argue this for all EP, actually.

The price pressure is/was insane and it just didn’t make sense. I still maintain that some of these wines are going to be pretty bad given that there were Chateaux co-fermenting varietals, which is highly unusual in Bordeaux. This is definitely not a vintage to buy second wines.

2014 still a very good buy as many have mentioned.

Unless you want to secure small production wines, what’s the point? “Good” vintages are the new normal, I see no reason to pay a significant premium on 2014 or 2015. Inevitably this cycle of inflated prices will swing back the other way and I’ll buy then. I expect 2018 to be similarly overpriced

Not a bottle. I think I bought less than a case of 15s and 16s. I’m done buying en primeur, and done buying recent vintage bdx entirely (except, as I have said before, where an exceptional value appears in 375 format).

And yes, repeating myself on this subject is a form of therapy

nope… Bought big (for me) in 14/15 (birthyears for 2 kids), and some in 16…
skipping 17 all together most likely… maybe cherry pick a few later.

Say you are starting from scratch, is 2014 still the best value because those wines can be purchased for about release price but have more bottle age on them? The 15 and 16’s I’m seeing at retail are priced way higher than the 17’s, which is the only reason I would consider the 17’s at this point.

No.

No, too much better 14, 15, and 16 out there.

Not buying. EP is no longer attractive and hasn’t been a good buy for quite some time. These are large production wines that tend to decline in price for their first 5-10 years. And remain highly available. This is how Bordeaux is so different from other wine producing regions (Burgundy, N. Rhone, Piedmont). Bdx are much higher production and remain available for decades.

I’ll buy 2014/2015/2016 in a decade. Maybe. ‘17? We’ll see how my favorites are tasting in 5+ years before I buy anything. The smart/ultra patient buyer would wait for recessions and find deals then :slight_smile:. Not that I am doing that.

Hi, new to Beserker as a poster.

I guess like others I did not buy ‘17 and did buy ‘15 and (more) ‘16.

I’m interested in lookimg for back vintages at this point (‘03, ‘05, and especially ‘10).

I have been working for a wine shop in Piedmont Italy for a couple of years and even though predominantly we sell local wines we always invest in Burgundy and Bordeaux in my opinion the ‘17 is a great investment just because the price are down about 15/45% depending on the Château the wines.

Honestly, there are some very good Cabernet based wines from the Left Bank in 2017. The need to buy them as futures, unless you want special formats is low. In fact, as a guess, as the 2018 should be quite strong, and as 2016 and 2015 are all better, my guess is, 2017 will be less money sooner than later. That being said, if you wait a bit, there are wines worth having in your cellar.

Franklin, welcome to the board! I was just scanning an online retailer a few minutes ago…lots of high-quality available Bdx in the 3 years you mentioned at good prices.