A case of NV Champagne Brut

I’d like to put together a case of NV Champagne Brut as we head into the holidays. My favorite wine retailer has these on sale - they’re all priced within a few bucks of each other.

Any board favorites / must tries? TIA.

NV Drappier Carte d’Or Brut
NV Louis Roederer Brut Premier
NV Perrier Jouet Grand Brut
NV Laurent-Perrier Brut
NV Taittinger Brut Reserve
NV Pol Roger Brut
NV Delamotte Brut
NV Henriot Brut Souverain
champagne.gif

Scott,

All of these can be good, but some are very base vintage dependent (Perrier-Jouet, Delamotte) and some need more time to settle down (Drappier). The Roederer and Pol Roger are the most consistent and would be my top two picks. If the Laurent Perrier is the newer ‘La Cuvee’ NV with the oval label then it is right up there too, but if it is the older Laurent Perrier NV Brut with the rectangular label, it can be hit or miss. Taittinger and Henriot are also nice, but they are step behind the Roederer, Pol Roger, and newer Laurent-Perrier.

Also, I am assuming this is the mixed grape Delamotte NV and not the BdB. If it is the BdB, then I would put it up there with Roederer, Pol Roger, and newer Laurent-Perrier though it often needs a bit of bottle age.

I agree with Brad on his top 2 picks, although I did enjoy Taittinger the other night off a pretty average list at a local bistro

Brad and Marcus - thank you both for the input.

Pol Roger.

If it’s good enough for the Queen of England, it’s good enough for me!

Delamotte, Roederer and Pol for me. In that order.

my wife and I both enjoyed the Perrier and bought a few bottles @36, very fresh tasting, not too dry

cheers

I know you are asking which to choose from those listed but I would spend the extra and go vintaged options.

Yes, and I’ll get to those at some point, but these are for family and friends over the holiday season - my in-laws don’t drink high-end champagne!

If you don’t put Charles Heidsieck and Bollinger in there you may regret it.

yea, yea we sell both so take with grain of salt.

I do not care that much for most grande marque NV (all the vinous, acidic grower stuff has ruined my palate) but out of these Pol Roger is my pick. Just had Roederer a week ago and it was solid but a bit soft with a sort of “playing it safe” vibe. Then again I guess the point of a big brand NV is to cater to as wide an audience as possible instead of wine geeks.

Without reading Brad’s picks (just not to cheat!), I’d go:

4X
Roederer
Pol Roger

and 2X
Laurent-Perrier

and 1X
Taittinger
Drappier

Good mix of consistency from the top two and variety elsewhere. L-P and Taittinger throws a little Chardonnay into your NV blends.

I don’t drink much champagne but started to get the bug on this. I know this is contrary to what most will like since this is mass produced mass marketed bubbles but I really like the NV Veuve Clicquot (yellow label). It has a lot of bubbles (mousse?) which really like. I typically buy this when it’s on sale at 25% off (about $37 all in including tax).

Would any of the mentioned wines from the OP thread for this profile?

I think the Roederer Brut Premier is a top value pick

Scott, of those I tend to go with the Roederer, as I find it to be both the most consistent and also the highest base quality of all of those wines. It’s one of my go to NVs now that Bollinger has bumped a hair in price. Like Brad, Pol Roger is probably next on that list, with most others at least a notch below. I like Delamotte BdB, but the base NV is not, in my opinion, a particularly exciting wine.

My vote between that lot is the Pol Roger. I would for sure SKIP Perrier Jouet.

Throwing in another vote for the Roederer – just had a bottle recently and thought it was delicious.

My vote would defeat be Pol Roger their NC champagne is always on point amd the price @32 is always a great buy
Ps at least where I live (Italy)

For your stated purpose, I’d get one of each, and extras of the Pol Roger, L-P, Henriot and/or Roederer. I’d also let my extras be swayed by the owner’s opinion, if you trust it (and I hope you do, since this is your favorite wine shop).

All of them are fine for family and holiday guests, and you’ll get to try eight different options. You can think about them in light of all of the good input upthread.

That’s what I would do.

When you have lots of “extra” bubbles around, you’ll be cracking second (and third?) bottles when you maybe hadn’t planned on it, so you may be making a return trip sooner than you think.

I might prefer Roederer over the Belle Epoque, at least the 2011.