Anyone drinking Oregon riesling?

I was just listening to Levi Dalton’s most recent podcast on IDTT, where he and Ehren Jordan discuss the future of Oregon wine production, particularly riesling. I’ve only ever had a bottle of 2015 Paetra “K”, which I liked but was a little austere, and wanted to see what other producers are making riesling in Oregon. I figure it does not have as long a track record as pinot noir, but anyone have experience with aging these?

Only if it’s over $100!

Matello was my favorite. It was always vintage specific and really good 5-7 years in.

I will spell this wrong, but Trisateum, focuses on Riesling. Those would only be 7 or so years in.

I believe Belle Pente has made it well also.

The two vintages of Cameron Riesling were both in the dessert form. Those would both be 20+ years.

I think it would be awesome if Tyson at Crowley made Riesling, I love his acid driven wines.

Muscat, baby! And skin contact Muscat as well.

Riesling can be made very well here. Not by me. Others do well at it. Selling it has always been the hiccup in the whole thing. Making a living selling sub-$20 Riesling that largely goes FOB is basically impossible in Oregon. Finding an audience that buys direct has proved tricky and selling higher price point Riesling equally so. Paetra definitely seems to have the commitment and quality. I hope they figure out the sales angle.

I really like Trisaetum and did buy some Paetra but haven’t consumed much of it to evaluate it. I’ve had really nice bottles from Ovum and Teutonic as well. When Marcus bothers to make Riesling I’m always interested.

Pleasantly surprised by the Chehalem Riesling, a lucky find on Last Bottle.

I’ve tried a few and in general they aren’t bad. But the issue is Austria / Germany makes such amazingly high quality Rieslings, in a variety of styles, and at such low prices. Hard to compete?

In addition to the others previously mentioned above, I’ll recommend Brooks and Elk Cove as long time producers of Oregon Riesling. Jess Pierce who assists at Walter Scott has a new label focused on Riesling that I haven’t tried yet. Full disclosure that I’m a club/mailing list member, but I’ve enjoyed Oregon Rieslings from Paetra, Trisaetum, Elk Cove, Matello, Chehalem, Belle Pente, and Big Table Farm over the years. I’m sure that there are others that I’m forgetting after a long day.

Paetra!! BerserkerDay must buy

Yup…drinking the Failla right now. Totally underwhelming. But it may develop into something quite good. Don’t know.
Tom

I’ve been pretty stoked on the Ross & Bee Maloof Riesling. Just a little bit of bubbles, well balanced with a really great texture. Definitely on the unconventional end of things but its been a really versatile food wine and a killer porch pounder. So far I haven’t found a ‘classic’ styled riesling from the region that’s spoken to me as much as say the Finger Lakes. It doesn’t mean there isn’t delicious examples being made though.

Now that Patricia Green SB on the other hand… my go-to Oregon white that I have served to hipsters and squares with the same positive results.

To answer your question: Nope, far too many excellent ones from New York State, Germany and Austria for me to be interested.

And I totally missed the last question from the OP regarding ageability of Oregon Riesling. Hopefully, Bill H. from Paetra will add to this thread, but I think that they will do well with some years. Bill makes fantastic wines and I need to order more before the end of fall shipping season. Trisaetum was one of our first visits to Oregon wine country in 2012. At that time, James Frey was not providing a long drinking window for his Rieslings. His opinion may have changed in the following years. I tend to favor the Wichmann Dundee Estate Riesling in the Trisaetum lineup. I have local friends in the wine business who have attended the Riesling revival as part of Pinot Camp and it’s my understanding that some of the winery participants share some older vintages with positive impressions. I’ve heard good things about older Elk Cove Rieslings.

James

Bill/Paetra has a lot to prove to be put in the same category as Brooks, for example. His passion and story are great but ultimately he’s got to follow through with age worthy memorable wines.

The Failla:
https://www.wineberserkers.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=2604732#p2604732
Tom

So, I’m not sure if anyone is categorizing any of the producers. No fault of the OP, but I think that the thread title has elicited responses as to noteworthy Oregon Riesling producers from some folks. Heck, I even missed the ageability question from the OP’s original post in my first response. Yes, Brooks and Elk Cove have been making Oregon Rieslings for a long time and have a proven track record as per my first response and recommendation. Time will tell, but I’m confident that Bill/Paetra and some of the other newer producers that you mentioned will be just fine.

James

This.

I’m in the same boat, having tried quite a few. I also don’t think I’ve had anything that would really improve with age, but of course, that’s a wild guess on my part.

Paetra here - need to get more next round of purchases.

Yes, I concur, but the OP asked about Oregon Riesling.