TN: 1948 Bodegas Vega-Sicilia Ribera del Duero Único

• 1948 Bodegas Vega-Sicilia Ribera del Duero Único - Spain, Castilla y León, Ribera del Duero (9/8/2018)
    Amazing wine. Surprised at the full body. Leather, vanilla, caramel and orange, with a wonderful nose of old leather, earth and a little lavender. Bottle in immaculate condition obtained from a private collection. Almost no sediment and low neck fill. One of the best old wines I’ve had. (97 pts.)

Wow! What an exceptional wine, shared with a couple good friends, while we were cooking paella for dinner. It was my only bottle of '48, but I’m hoping the two bottles of '58 are as good! I love the journey of experiencing old wines. It’s unpredictable, and doesn’t always pan out as hoped, but when it does, it’s mighty good fun! And it’s very informative to understand how these wines develop over time.

Very cool, nice to hear, congrats.
Low neck fill after 70 years is unusual, great storage and cork!

Always love old Vega. Had a '57 that was delicious while in Spain at least 10 yrs ago. Never had the 58 and all the 62’s/68’s have been disappointing. Love the 70, but it’s much more primary, than wines 20-30 yrs older. I’ll have to find a good 48 to try.Thanks for the note.

We had a dinner with nine vintages of Unico last week, including 1965, 1968, 1970. These wines are amazing, all the fills were near perfect, and no wine was less than immensely pleasurable. Nice to hear even older vintages are singing.

I always look for Unicos at auction, but there are no more bargains.

No bargains, except relative to Burgundy! That sounds like a wonderful evening.

Double post - deleted.

Yes, it was extremely well preserved. The capsule was old and properly embossed, and the cork had a layer of stuff on it you can’t fake, otherwise I might have been suspicious!

Here’s a bottle of ‘58 of the same provenance.
972972C6-E2D7-4DE7-8DE9-E705195F0595.jpeg

I have drunk three times 1948 VSU. It is considered as one of the greatest VSU. Two times it was legendary and the third time, more difficult to approach but became fantastic.

Generally I am very excited to drink all the VSU of the decade 60ies, either with vintage or Reserva Especial of this decade.