Magic Wine Box? (Wine light theory)

Has anyone heard of this? It’s copyrighted, and I can see photos on Instagram of folks using it…but I can’t find out where to get one. It looks interesting, and if it’s under $75 I’d be curious to buy one and try it…I just thought I’d see if anyone here has one, had used it, or knows about it. Even more valuable if it work on Pre-moxed whites?

Someone named Noppakit Sangsurane posts about it frequently on the Burgundy Geeks FB group. He didn’t respond to a question about cost and availablity.

“Magic wine box”? Is this where you drop a bottle in and acid comes out??

LMK when it can turn plonk into Haut Brion.

The only one that I have seen adjusts the maturation of the wine and accelerates it to its optimum drinking window. It comes with both forward and reverse settings.

I wouldn’t buy a time machine that worked only in one direction.

He also posts about it frequently on instagram. The idea behind it seems to be that based on how clear and bright the light shines through the bottle of wine, and based on the color, it indicates how “ready” or “open” the wine is for drinking.

Unfortunately, apart from that, the posts seem pretty vague and I haven’t found him posting any sort of explanations on how this is an effective and reliable method, if it actually is.

It’s an interesting idea and if it does work that’d be great. Just seems a bit too good to be true. I’d be interested to hear if anyone has experience with this.

To me, if it’s just a bright light…then I don’t see how that does the wine service? Does it work for wines like Alicante Bouschet the same as it does Burgundy? I would expect it to be totally different. Yet, it would be a useful tool if it did work well.

His whole idea is that if the wine is clear it’s ready to drink. The box just shines a bright light behind the bottle so you can see if it’s clear or not. That’s literally the only use.

He also doesn’t believe in premox so take his ideas with a grain of salt.

Um, if the wine is clear? Seriously? That doesn’t make a lick of sense.
50F1FF68-8E40-48EE-84D7-D512D21E146A.jpeg
Sort of like that? That’s about the same technology. Please, this is snake oil.

I don’t know about looking for clarity with a light shining through a red (or white) wine to judge whether the wine is “ready to drink”, but it may indeed be useful in judging whether a white Burg is premox’d. See the post #12 by Stephen Williams in the “Safe White Burgs” thread and the comparison of the colors of the 12 bottles of the same 99 WB lit from behind, and I think it will be pretty obvious which bottles you would prefer to open.

His post doesn’t discuss whether tasting the bottles so examined showed a consistent correlation with the presence of premox, but I know a friend and WB fanatic who, as described here some time ago by Chuck Miller, was batting a thousand examining the bottles with a bright light and predicting which bottles were advanced/premoxed.

Of course, that would not help much if you already own the wine, unless you wanted to unload the possibly questionable bottles…ethics aside…but it might be entertaining. And you could take your portable light box when shopping for older bottles of WB, though I would assume that there are not many stores with older WB’s on the shelves…though there may be a few.

This is just a box with a light in it?!!

Not just a ‘light’ - a Magic light! flirtysmile

BTW - I was just trying to answer OP’s question - definitely not endorsing the quackery

Based on “wine theory” apparently.

Guys, this seems legit. Let’s pool some cash together and get in early!

Gosh… magic wine box

Here you go, for people who haven’t seen it in “action”:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BopwKkYBbGb/

Is there a non-pay-walled version?

Sorry, I don’t think so. It’s an article by Jancis Robinson on the FT about VeriVin (www.verivin.com). The company is trying to develop a way to analyse wine by shining a light through it.

According to the article, VeriVin’s work has attracted the attention of several major wine companies and “the widely admired Australian Wine Research Institute”.