Pairing Burgundy with Rib Eye

Hosting a big steak dinner (think Rib eye more than Filet) and have the opportunity to bring in Burgundy for the event ($125/bottle price, although I could do a pour of $50/bottles and a pour of $200 bottles). Curious for any recommendations of nice burgundy to pair with a fatty steak & potatoes meal. Going with Bordeaux or Nebbiolo is not an option. I had a good Bourgogne at Le Relaise last week, for $30 at the restaurant… this should be a pretty good dinner.

Question #1: Are there particular villages that pair better?
Question #2: Are there particular producers that pair better / should be avoided?
Question #3: Any particular bottles in the $50-200 range you would recommend?

I assume I’ll be looking for 2015 - 16s, but perhaps can find 11s or 14s.

Thanks!

For steak and potatoes, a robust Gevrey-Chambertin is a good bet in my book.

Pommards and Cortons work well too, but since you are seeking young wines be sure to get examples that are likely to show well young. Parent’s 2015 Corton-Renardes is showing very nicely now (much development in store- but drinking well in primary stage) and worth seeking for your price range. Jadot is a good example to avoid unless someone can give a specific rec based on recent tasting because their wines tend to be more austere young generally speaking.

Nuits St. Georges would be another good option. I have not delved much into 15 or 16 yet, but hopefully others can suggest producers whose wines are at least approachable now.

How would you define “robust” – any producers that come to mind? E.G., poking around a retail store, I see: 2011 Faiveley Mazi (Maybe too young?), 2016 Duroche Lavaut St. Jacques, 2012 Bart Clos Beze, 2012 Drouhin-Laroze Latricieres, 2015 Hubert Lignier Riotte (although this is MSD)?

I had an 08 Serafin Gevrey 1er Fonteny with Hanger Steak tonight that was pretty lovely, so I’m inclined to agree with Tom about Gevrey and steak (though other villages will work fine, but Gevrey often has a subtle meaty note).

Of the producers you mention, I’d be most inclined to gamble on the Bart for vintage quality/accessibility, price and style. The Lignier Riotte should be brilliant, but I want to age Lignier.

Hi SH@N,

I actually don’t reckon red Burg is great with steak, you need Bordeaux or Barolo. But if you have to go with red Burg look for a chewy Pommard or muscular Gevrey.

Cheers
Jeremy

I have not had many Faiveley since the big change (I liked them well enough before.) In old school days, I would say these are too young- but now, perhaps they would be approachable. Drouhin should work. And Serafin- as someone else suggested. I love Serafin- sadly they do not come to Texas anymore. Drouhin-Laroze or Lignier could work too, that particular bottling should be fine. The MSD grand crus would be a miss here, but MSD has its share of good rugged village and 1er cru bottlings.

For ribeye I’d probably go Northern Rhone, Bandol, Bordeaux or Brunello. Barolo from a tannic vintage is a good call too.

However, the question is about matching burgundy villages. I’d probably steer away from the more feminine wine producing villages of Chambolle and Morey (obviously many exceptions) and think more in terms of Gevrey especially if you want to spend $150/bottle. For more reasonably priced wines, I’d go NSG, Volnay or Pommard, Vougeot, Savigny. I’d avoid any peppery sauce…

Enjoy and report back. [cheers.gif]

I had burg with prime strip earlier this year and the pairing was great. The wine was 2005 Rossignol Chevret.

Rossignol wines tend to be pretty big and the obvious one to pair with steak would be 2015 Nicholas Rossignol Pommard Epenots. This is drinking great atm.

Benchmark has 2 Jadot wines for you both 2006
Pommard Rugiens $50 and the CSJ. for $125

Just about any red 2003 Jadot should work from $50 and up.

Hard to disagree Doug. Don’t forget the Chianti and Steak Fiorentina pairing.

A village Burg might struggle to pair well, but I like the Jadot 1er suggestions that Mark made: Rugiens (Pommard) and CStJ (Gevrey). Somewhat youthful and fairly dense/chewy. A darker Corton or Ech could work.

Hope you, Michele, the family and vines are all doing great.

RT

Thanks for the suggestions. I expected a stronger Burgundy response, although didn’t know what it would be. Had a steak frites with a Bourgogne Rouge for $25 at Le Relaise Entracote in NY… enjoyed it… and was curious how folks would go upmarket with it. Hoping to purchase from a local NY store to throw some business to folks, so no easily accessed old Jadot, but that was a pretty great idea at Benchmark worth consideration - thanks.

I’ve never understood this idea that young Bordeaux/CalCab pairs with steak and Burgundy doesn’t. Beef is the most delicately flavored red meat there is. Best match with Burgundy which is the most delicate red wine. There’s a reason why the dish is beef burgundy and not beef bordeaux.

I’d visit one of your favorite NY merchants, and ask them for something drinking well today. Don’t worry about the village, they all produce steak-worthy wines. Perhaps they’ll have some older village wines or lesser 1er in your price range. If not, young is fine. We’ve had a good streak of decent vintages recently. Run away if they push 2004 or 2011.

Are your fellow diners Burgundy experts? If not, then definitely avoid challenging, chewy burgs. They won’t find joy there.

Ok, I’ll name one widely available maker with the highest probability of success young, Fourrier. These are wines of joy, not too challenging. I suspect all their 2014’s should still be open. I haven’t his 15’s or 16’s yet.

Good luck!

FWIW, I too, don’t understand the anti-burg and steak opinions.

[rofl.gif] so funny and so true!

Jeremy, I always enjoy your posts and can’t recall disagreeing with you-but I’ll take the other side of the coin here. I love burgundy with a great ribeye. I’d reach for burgundy far more often than Bordeaux, but that may say more about what I enjoy vs “right” or “wrong”.

-paul

1 Like

A slow cooked braise, such as beef Bourguignon is a totally different proposition. The texture of the dish will match with many Burgundy wine. I agree that the flavour of beef is suited to Burgundy. I’m assuming SH@N is having a Rib Eye cooked rare to medium rare, not done as a slow braise, and when I have such an animal I’ll usually reach for Cab, Sangiovese or Nebbiolo, as I want a bit more tannin to cut through the meat.

One reason to potentially lean Barolo over Burgundy with Ribeye would be because of the relative fattiness of the steak and the higher tannin content. But it will be fine either way.

To Jim’s point if I was having ribeye, ue to the fat, I’d be looking for something with more acid to cut the fat…Volnay or Corton or a Beaune Red.

Granted it was hanger and not ribeye, but one of things that made the 08 Serafin I mentioned above work well was the acidity of the vintage.