Please enlighten me on the Levet Cuvées

Tasting notes, varietals, grapes - anything related to wine
Message
Author
User avatar
G. Shields
Posts: 141
Joined: September 2nd, 2015, 12:17 am
Location: Lyon, France

Re: Please enlighten me on the Levet Cuvées

#51 Post by G. Shields » December 7th, 2018, 2:09 am

Jeff Leve wrote:
December 6th, 2018, 11:10 am
The wine cannot be sold as La Landonne, because 100% of the grapes are not from La Landonne. The grapes come from other vineyards as well.
That would be in line with Agnes comment that they don't want the administrative burden of using an AOC/INAO vineyard name. Also means they have the flexibility to adapt or adjust what grapes go into the cuvee based on their own judgement of what fits, needs for volume or whatever...
Gawain

Jeff Leve
Posts: 1594
Joined: August 2nd, 2009, 4:17 pm

Re: Please enlighten me on the Levet Cuvées

#52 Post by Jeff Leve » December 7th, 2018, 8:31 am

G. Shields wrote:
December 7th, 2018, 2:09 am
Jeff Leve wrote:
December 6th, 2018, 11:10 am
The wine cannot be sold as La Landonne, because 100% of the grapes are not from La Landonne. The grapes come from other vineyards as well.
That would be in line with Agnes comment that they don't want the administrative burden of using an AOC/INAO vineyard name. Also means they have the flexibility to adapt or adjust what grapes go into the cuvee based on their own judgement of what fits, needs for volume or whatever...
This is not unique to Levet. This is the same rule every producer in the AOC system complies with.

User avatar
Claus Jeppesen
Posts: 1523
Joined: April 27th, 2010, 2:42 am

Re: Please enlighten me on the Levet Cuvées

#53 Post by Claus Jeppesen » March 27th, 2019, 1:05 am

I received my 2016 Levet stash yesterday and the Piroline look like that now (the 2015 was the standard label)
IMG_20190326_201817.jpg
I tried the 2015 Maestria last moth and it was unyielding, also after 2 days. The most closed 2015 Cote Rotie of all I have tried
Claus

Riesling and Slate

User avatar
David Glasser
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 5928
Joined: August 16th, 2009, 6:03 pm
Location: Maryland

Re: Please enlighten me on the Levet Cuvées

#54 Post by David Glasser » April 1st, 2019, 6:00 pm

Is the appropriate time frame to start opening these (thinking of the Maestria/Journaries) a minimum of 15 years from vintage?
Will opening a 2016 now reduce my life expectancy significantly?

User avatar
Robert.A.Jr.
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 19650
Joined: January 28th, 2010, 5:03 am
Location: Orlando, Florida

Re: Please enlighten me on the Levet Cuvées

#55 Post by Robert.A.Jr. » April 1st, 2019, 6:24 pm

David Glasser wrote:
April 1st, 2019, 6:00 pm
Is the appropriate time frame to start opening these (thinking of the Maestria/Journaries) a minimum of 15 years from vintage?
Will opening a 2016 now reduce my life expectancy significantly?
Actually, no. The acids could scald and cleanse the wood vestiges from that 2015 Siran. Your palate will return to normal in 7 days. Chinon, Saumur and Bourgiel shall become your love affair.

[wow.gif] [wow.gif]

"@lf3rt was clearly raised in an outhouse in the Loire. . . ."

Kenny H (circa 2015)

User avatar
David Glasser
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 5928
Joined: August 16th, 2009, 6:03 pm
Location: Maryland

Re: Please enlighten me on the Levet Cuvées

#56 Post by David Glasser » April 1st, 2019, 6:51 pm

HaHa. Picking some up next week at MacArthurs. Will be my first Levet so I'll have to try one.
Pop 'n pour or decant all day?

User avatar
Robert.A.Jr.
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 19650
Joined: January 28th, 2010, 5:03 am
Location: Orlando, Florida

Re: Please enlighten me on the Levet Cuvées

#57 Post by Robert.A.Jr. » April 1st, 2019, 7:13 pm

David Glasser wrote:
April 1st, 2019, 6:51 pm
HaHa. Picking some up next week at MacArthurs. Will be my first Levet so I'll have to try one.
Pop 'n pour or decant all day?
Honestly, don't know what to tell you. Pop it. Treat it as a science experiment. Pour it into Petri dishes or test tubes. Sample sporadically over three days. Report back.

Levet is a mercurial wine. They need time, but once in a while, they will show you glimpses on release. Thay can also be hard as nails, and shrill. I still laugh about blowing a 2013 maggie of Les Jesournaires a couple years ago. Years like 2010 and 2013, just forget about them for a solid 15. The 2011 vintage has always been fun, 2012 was a little open as well. Have not popped a 2016 or 2014.

"@lf3rt was clearly raised in an outhouse in the Loire. . . ."

Kenny H (circa 2015)

Anders G
Posts: 11
Joined: May 23rd, 2010, 2:07 pm

Re: Please enlighten me on the Levet Cuvées

#58 Post by Anders G » April 2nd, 2019, 1:53 pm

2016 and 2014 are drinking quite well, actually. While 2014 is more lighter and juicier, 2016 is quite a profound wine but as several Côte Rôties from 2016 drinking well on the fruit. Maestria, that is, I have Péroline in the pipeline to be tasted before it will close down, most probably.
I wouldn't touch any 2015 for a very, very long time.

Greg K
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 542
Joined: December 21st, 2013, 3:16 pm
Location: New York

Re: Please enlighten me on the Levet Cuvées

#59 Post by Greg K » April 2nd, 2019, 3:09 pm

A few of us had the 15 Chavaroche last year and I don't think anyone thought it was in a great place. YMMV.
Greg Kahn

User avatar
David Glasser
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 5928
Joined: August 16th, 2009, 6:03 pm
Location: Maryland

Re: Please enlighten me on the Levet Cuvées

#60 Post by David Glasser » April 2nd, 2019, 4:43 pm

I’ll pop a bottle of the '16 Maestria soon after pickup, and save a few for my dotage. Alfert can have them if I go OTH before they’re ready.

Post Reply

Return to “Wine Talk”