Please enlighten me on the Levet Cuvées

I have seen Maestro, Chavaroche, La Piroline, Amethyste, Journaries
I think Chavaroche is a specific vineyard, but the others?
All 100% Syrah?

From the American importers website:

Cote Rotie La Chavaroche: The cuvee that we have imported from the outset (1983 vintage) is from the “Chavaroche” vineyard. As explained above, this wine is aged for thirty to thirty-six months prior to bottling. It is, quite simply, a ferocious wine, unique in its uninhibited expression of the smells and flavors of the appellation. No compromise is brooked here. The result is a wine that is controversial, too “wild” for many but, for us, one of the most elite wines in our personal pantheon. We import annually approximately 2400 bottles (a mix of 750mls and magnums).

Cote Rotie Les Journaries: Since the 2004 vintage, we have expanded our work with the Levet family to include a second bottling of Cote Rotie known as “Les Journaries”, a cuvée drawn from grapes harvested from old vines in the “La Landonne” lieu-dit. This wine is more subtle, more elegant and “quieter” if you will than the “Chavaroche”. At the same time, it is very much a Levet wine with a bouquet of violets, wild berries, a touch of animal and resinous-like tannins that speak of the inclusion of stems (a hallmark of the Levet tradition). The “Journaries” is approachable at an earlier stage than its companion “La Chavaroche” but, that being said, it is a wine that not only ages gracefully but almost requires a touch of patience. We now import approximately 1500 bottles plus magnums of this cuvée each vintage.

Côte-Rôtie “Cuvée Amethyste”: The “house cuvée” is a selected blend from all the parcels that the Levet family owns. Produced in the same manner as “La Chavaroche” and “Les Journaries,” this bottling tends to be the most open and immediately seductive of the three versions of Levet Côte-Rôtie. This easiness is relative, of course, for this bottling still impresses. Levet’s typical smoky and savage character is here counterpointed by an elegant, floral, and wild-berry fruit. 2015 marks the first vintage that we have imported this cuvée. Alas, we have now sourced all that is available of this storied domaine.

And here is the technical data:

100% syrah, La Chav is 100% whole cluster while Le Journaries is 60%. Aged in older barrels, 660L.

As I had just posted in a thread started by Adrian, I think any lover of Levet should buy the La Chav and the Les Journaries in every vintage. Levet expresses the vintages so transparently, each vintage has its signature. The two wines are distinct, each stands on its own. While La Chav is generally held out to be the flagship, I think Les Journaries is equally as good in some vintages, and actually better in some vintages, say like 2013. It also seems to be more approach at a more youthful age.

Thanks Robert
What about the others?

I am pretty sure La Pirolene is the name used in Europe for La Chave, and Maestro is the name used for Les Journaries.

I should clarify, Levet uses the syrah genetic variant called La Sirene. He does not cut with any white.

What Robert said!
I am really curious as to why they have different names for cuvées EU vs US…
I have not tasted any Levet yet, but the chat on this board has me very keen to try. I hope to find time for a visit in Nov/Dec to taste 2016s… will report back if I can make it happen!

This is the Piroline 2015
The other cuvees have the standard label
I used to buy Levet in the 90’s vintages. They were as outstanding as they were cheap [cheers.gif]
csm_30991hfl_54bf2d9e31.jpg

It’s not Maestro but Maestria - but yes, that’s the UK/EU name for Journaires (which includes lots of La Landonne).

La Chavroche in USA = La Péroline in UK/EU.

Agnès Levet personally designs all of the domaine’s labels…

Should be called Maestro, cause it’s so dang good!

There is a wine writer of acclaim that pops in from time to time, I think his name is Billy, or something like that, who wrote a nice piece on Levet:

You are too kind, Robert.

The oldest Levet I have in my cellar is the 1989. You should make it out to Beaune some time!

Great article William
Thanks

I just did some backfilling on Levet with a mixed case, including 2010 and 2011 Les Journaries. I have had them both again recently, and well worth the hunt to find them. At least for my funk-driven palate, this is as good as $50 can find in Rhone.

Would a 2004 or 2007 Chavaroche be best to try over the next 6 months? I saw prior TNs the 2007s were near ready, but perhaps a bit young. Which is the more accurate expression of a wine (that folks say changes drastically vintage-to-vintage)? I had a 2011 a few months ago… young and a bit too feral for the wife, and I was cautiously positively disposed (I can better appreciate a little funk)… I would like to give it another go.

Levet is not for all Rhone or Syrah lovers. Even Alan Rath, who has a tremendous palate for Syrah and the love of Northern Rhone, does not seem to care for Levet. Neither does Adrian So, finding it a bit gamy. I love it for these feral, animalistic qualities. But again, not a wine for everyone. I think the 2011 is outstanding. I would choose 2007 over the 2004. I think 2004 is wildly animalistic, but I don’t know whether it needs more time and whether the fruit can outlast the structure. It is a very powerful wine. A bit inscrutable.

I think some folks hat have been buying Levet based on the current Rhone hype will be flipping it later. It’s the Laphroig single malt of Cote Rotie.

A question - If Le Journaries is old vine La La, why not call it La Landonne?

Surely a more prestigious label to have than their own proprietary label name.

I don’t know the answer to that question, but this is on Leve’s site:

The wine takes its name from the specific parcel of vines where the grapes are planted in the La Landonne lieu-dit.
Read more at:Learn about Domaine Bernard Levet Cote Rotie, Complete Guide

As Robert said, that '04 Levet has some serious funk. One of the Levets I’ve had that may have been a bit too funky for me, and I like Levet a lot!