2011 Jadot Savigny 1er Cru 'Dominode'

I tend to buy Burgundy by vintage, but this came as part of a mixed case. Favorite producer. Favorite vineyard. Live and learn.

Healthy light ruby color. The aromas are promising, with good intensity of red cherry fruit, a hint of sous-bois and something nicely secondary. The palate is light in body, with the slightly underripe, simple red cherry flavors overshadowed by fierce acidity. There are a few spicy, green herbal nuances that add some interest, and it softens and broadens a bit, but this is simply not up to the simple dinner of lamb chops quickly sautéed with asparagus and mashed potatos. Over time this develops some subtleties, but in the end it is too hollow and too acidic. Rated just below 80. Drinkable but at the bottom end of enjoyable.

Dan Kravitz

Agreed Dan. I have a case of this and I must say not that enthused about finishing them. A couple of their other 11s are a bit underwhelming too.

I have some of those from 05, anyone try that lately?

I did not like the 11’s I tasted in general, although I had very little experience tasting them. I skipped the vintage except for 1 Djuac CSD (not sure…I must have committed to it prior), and 5 total bottles of Rousseau…probably so I could ray in the mix for the next vintages. Has anyone had any splendid 11’s?

I am also sitting on a few bottles wondering if they are open for business yet. I was holding until 2020 because somewhere I read there was a 15 year rule. Bueller? Anyone?

The 11s in general are pretty wines, like a slightly riper 2004. I did not buy widely in 2011, but did have a bottle of Rousseau Clos de la Roche that was lovely, with reasonable density. I have greatly enjoyed Jean-Marc Vincents Santenays from 2011, but enjoyed less Jadots offerings including Beaune Ursules and Chambolle Fuees. Having said that I do really like 2011 whites for their raciness.

to Michael Chang,

I have not had the '05 Jadot Savigny Dominodes, but have very much enjoyed the '05 Jadot Beaune Avaux, which should be reasonably similar. It should be in its prime, but not in any danger of going over the hill for at least the next few years (always assuming the right provenance and storage).

Dan Kravitz

I have a limited experience tasting 2011s, but have had a handful of reds and whites from most of the quality levels (more whites than reds). I’ve only had good experiences so far but I’ve heard mostly negative things about the vintage. There are times where people will describe wines as “light” or “thin” where I wouldn’t, so I’m not sure if that factors into it at all. I’m also not scared of a little green/herbal character when not in excess. I tend towards elegance and finesse over power and concentration more often than not. So I’ve wondered a little bit whether the 2011s were really that bad or if it’s a combination of there being a lot of not so good wines but also it being a vintage style that was and is not popular (not necessarily bad quality).

I’m sure many of you have tasted and read much more than I have on this vintage, so was it really that bad - even with the good/great producers? Do you just really have to know whose wines turned out okay or is there a noticeable inferiority across the board?

I dont mind the style of the vintage and have drunk some nice 2011 burgs, but unless you are getting them for a great price or you have to buy to hold your place in line for a certain producer then I struggle to see value for money

So are you saying that most of the time they are not necessarily bad but just lesser quality than most vintages? More-so lesser quality in terms of complexity, aging ability, and showing terroir than them just being an unpopular style?

Pretty damming note, but I wouldn’t be drinking pinot noir with lamb in the first place.

Max,

2011 is incredibly variable, with the best wines being only “very good” IMO. It’s just not worth the crap shoot.

xactly

Gotcha. I always wondered since I wasn’t buying or tasting much burgundy when the 2011s were around. Thanks for the helpful comments, guys.

Dup

I’ve been buying up ‘11s lately. I’ve found great producers from great vineyards for $60 a pop (ie, angerville caillerets and ducs, lafarge Chenes, hudelot and Confuron-contidot suchots and I think it’s worth the gamble.

I tasted the Lafarge Volnay Vendanges Selectionnees 2011 a few years ago and remember liking it a lot.

Is that a sarcastic comment? Because Pinot Noir with Rack of Lamb or Lamb Chops…oh my, I live for that!
Classic pairing, I believe, and I am not sure what would be better.

The 11’s being described as a slightly riper 2004 is damning with faint praise…I skipped the 2004 vintage as well, thankfully, and whether the 04’s were just green or green and mean, the 11’s I tasted also had a green element that I did not care for.

In Savigny, Simon Bize is usually my reference point. For some reason I didn’t buy the Dominode in 2011, so I can’t compare directly to Dan’s experience with the Jadot, but I liked early tasting of the Marconnets quite a bit, though found it in need of considerable time, as Bize wines generally are.

Other 2011 reds we bought were a mixed lot - generally inexpensive producers we buy and cellar nearly every year - few of which we’ve opened yet. Those few have been enjoyable. A Florent Garaudet Monthelie was beautiful, and the Daniel Rion Beaux Monts and Chaumes were both promising. We didn’t buy any Grand Crus or top tier producers in 2011, though, so I guess that says something.