TN: 2015 Wind Gap Wines Pinot Noir (USA, California, Sonoma County, Sonoma Coast)

• 2015 Wind Gap Wines Pinot Noir - USA, California, Sonoma County, Sonoma Coast (10/26/2018)
    This is one of those pretty, lighter bodied, cool climate Pinots that gives you SO much more than its appearance suggests. Bright cherry, raspberry, red plum fruits that are snappy and tart, fully ripe, yet with a dried savoriness to it. Wonderful potpourri of spices and florals…some intense pepper like…tight structured minerality…and a deep darker spice/smoke/stem funk that’s more of a subtlety and very intriguing. All in a plush frame, a soft 12.4 abv. with great transparency and sneaky depth. Super wine…especially at half off pricing! (93 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

Sounds like this is drinking well now, but what do you think the aging curve on this would be? Do you think it’s worth keeping a few bottles for a few years?

Has anyone else got theirs? I’m still waiting to hear from KL, a week on.

The Wind Gap Pinots are fine for short to mid term aging, 3-5 years.

Just had the 2012 of this, was going strong in my book.

my order status is currently “picking.” I assume they’re waiting for a big batch from the supplier.

A bit of a thread drift, but I am rather tempted by the Gap’s Crown Chardonnay that is up as well.

Thanks for the heads up…jumped on six!

Not at all familiar with that one. Recommended, I assume?

High praise from Galloni…94pts. $48 wine for $19. As *NSYNC would say…buy buy buy buy!

The notes all seem minerally rather than fruity, for what’s it’s worth. I bought two bottles; if I knew the wine I might be in for more.

Any opinions on the 2013 Wind Gap Chenoweth Pinot Noir? It’s the third heavily discounted bottle at K&L. $20, original list of $60. The official notes all say the warmest of their vineyards, but oh wait don’t worry because the acid is still balanced and it’s 100% whole clusters. Not sure what to expect.

Lots of cola on this, but also pretty light on its feet.

[/quote]

Any opinions on the 2013 Wind Gap Chenoweth Pinot Noir? It’s the third heavily discounted bottle at K&L. $20, original list of $60. The official notes all say the warmest of their vineyards, but oh wait don’t worry because the acid is still balanced and it’s 100% whole clusters. Not sure what to expect.
[/quote]

Ho do you find out what are the most discounted bottles on K&L?

[/quote]

Ho do you find out what are the most discounted bottles on K&L?
[/quote]

That’s not what I meant… I don’t know of a way to find the bottles with the biggest discount. But there were 3 Wind Gap wines, and all were heavily discounted. (2 Pinots and a Chardonnay.) That’s what I meant.

Opened my first bottle of this tonight. Well worth the money, to put it lightly. This isn’t austere by any means…there’s bright, zesty cranberry/rhubarb fruit up front. It’s a lighter style all around (as the <13% ABV would suggest), but balanced and (most importantly) very, very food-friendly. Had it with some bulgogi, and it was quite nice. Pretty much a no-brainer purchase, IMO.

I tried one last weekend too. I was surprised how tight it got with air. Lovely wine but I’ll leave mine to slumber for a bit longer.

The Gap’s Crown Chardonnay is less convincing in my opinion. Maybe it’s my European AFWE palate but it was pretty flabby and not dry enough for me - coupled with pretty heavy handed oak.

Odd that you would call it heavy handed oak, as the barrels are all old/many uses. Zero new or even barely used oak for the wine. Never found a Wind Gap Chard to be oaky, ever.

Interesting. I’ll take another run at it over the holiday period.

Anyone tried the Syrah yet?

I preferred the ‘15 Syrah to the Pinot - More tension and layering. And also a step up from the ‘14 Syrah as well.