1er Cru white burg vineyards

All 1er crus are equal, but some are more equal than the others [wink.gif]
What are the top 1er cru white burgundy vineyards/ lieux-dits?

Meursault Perrieres would be at the top of the list. Puligny-Montrachet Les Pucelles (Leflaive makes a great one), Chablis Foret (Dauvissat’s version is always good) would also make the cut I assume. What are other exceptional sites made by great producers?

I hear a lot of chatter about Saint-Aubins but never explored the area.

It’s so producer-specific that it’s hard to generalize, and my experience isn’t such that I’m authoritative, but I feel like there’s a lot of really good wine made from the following vineyards (in addition to what you mention):

Meursault Genevrieres
Puligny Caillerets, Referts, Perrieres, and Combettes
Chassagne Ruchottes and Chenevottes
St. Aubin Remilly
Chablis Montee de Tonerre

Chassagne Caillerets is very good

Ryan, so true. Any producers you prefer from the vineyards you mentioned?

Chassagne clos st jean and caillerets

Your first statement is what I was wondering recently about Montee de Tonerre. I think my thoughts on the site are skewed because of Raveneau. Is it really better than most other 1ers in the hands of other producers?

It’s a good question and my answer is honestly, “I have no idea.” In my experience it’s the class of the Raveneau 1ers, and it’s pretty reliable in others’ hands–e.g., Billaud-Simon’s MdT is really good. That said, other producers have their specialties: e.g., Forets for Dauvissat, Fevre’s Fourchaumes Vignobles de Vaulorent, etc. Vaillons is also pretty high quality. But my totally subjective non-scientific impression is that I’ve had more good experiences with MdT than others and that, in Raveneau’s hands, it reaches higher highs than any other 1er in Chablis.

I definitely agree with that!

If you are going to add Chablis, how about Forets (Forest)?

Meursault Genevrieres for me is the most consistently delicious vineyard among multiple producers. Personally I think it’s better than Charmes and as good as Perrieres for many producers.

Would you also include Caillerets from Puligny - very well situated?

For me, Caillerets doesn’t stand out in puligny as much as it does in chassagne, but that reflects greater quality in puligny.

I prefer the reds from Clos st Jean to whites…

Duh…its the best among the 1er cru line up at Dauvissat.

Puligny Les Perrières Clos de la Mouchère

My favorites only … producer makes a BIG difference here but …

Chablis -Montee de Tonnerre

Chassagne- Caillerets, Chenevottes (PYCM) Les Chaumes Clos des Truffiere (Niellon) and Ruchottes (Ramonet)

Meursault Perrieres, Genevrieres and Charmes

Puligny- Les Demoiselles (Colin), Pucelles, Combettes (Sauzet), Caillerets, Folatieres (Leflaive and PYCM) and Perrieres(H Boillot and Carillon)
St Aubin- en Remilly and Chateniere

For Folatieres add Drouhin (just had a 2010 that was wonderful).

For Chenvottes, add Bernard Moreau (they also make great Morgeots and Maltroie).

For the Meursault appellations, people tend to forget about Bouchard. That is a mistake.

For en Remilly, if you want to add producers I would say PYCM, Lamy and Bernard Moreau.

Henri boillot and Bouchard for genevrieres. Don’t think Leroy makes a white. She has a vosne version.

I love Puligny Pucelles and Caillerets.