Trying to get a refund.

What do you do when a retailer won’t return your calls or emails regarding a refund ? I ordered a wine several years ago. Later on he tells me his supplier can’t get it. I say ok let it ride. Maybe I’ll use the credit for something later. Several years later I’m like ok this isn’t going to work. Now I’m calling and calling and answering his solicitation emails with inquiries into the refund. Nada. Silence. Any help ?

You have 60 days to dispute it on your credit card, so that isn’t going to work.
Are they in the same state? Small claims might be an option. At least a subpoena might get him to return your calls.

Nick, is this a 1 man show type of retailer? Hard to see that nobody picks up the phone (I’m thinking of retailers like Chicago Wine Co, Total Wine, etc) - they typically always have staff somewhere.

Even though the credit card company has a 60 day policy - you can still try and give them a call. A bit of a hassle yes, but could potentially work.

I would call the credit card company. When PC went out my un-shipped orders were much older then 60 days.

Call from a different phone that does not ID you?

What Suzanne said. My credit card reimbursed what Premier Cru owed me. Not much, fortunately.

Who is the vendor?

Are you saying you were billed for the wine you never got and were told you could get a credit for that amount? If that is the case I find this retailer should be revealed so no one gives them business.

Leave a message for the retailer that you want a credit now, or you will contact the credit card processor. Then contact the credit card processor if you get nowhere. Companies that process the credit card charges do not like merchants that causes them potential headaches or losses.

Yes I was charged and never refunded. The initial transaction was several years ago so I doubt the the CC company would help.

Nicky my man…I don’t think John Fox is going to return your call…give it up! [wink.gif]

Out them. Right here.

Do you have some sort of email response from them stating that they could not procure the original wine and that you would be credited?

Apparently I am missing something, but as I understand,

wine was ordered
then determined to be unavailable
so a store credit (?) was offered and accepted

While I certainly understand that the OP now prefers cash, and I don’t excuse not reponding to legitimate business questions, obviously, unless it is some significant amount of money, why not just find something in this retailer’s current stock and use the store credit?

(sorry if I am misunderstanding)

Originally he was going to issue a refund. Then there was a discussion about how it would have to be a check. I said well let’s wait and see if I buy something instead. I asked if he had any older Giacosa’s. After a bit (over a year) I said please just send the refund. Since then radio silence.

Is he still in business? Does he have a website? Call him and if he doesn’t answer leave a message that you would like to talk him before laying him out on the internet, yelp, etc. There is no excuse for this if you are an honest business person. You might also refer him to Ray Walker so he can get the money he needs to re-pay you.

Go with Suzanne’s advice- report it to your credit card company. Whatever else you do- you will need to do this first. And have handy any emails or other written correspondence/proof of purchase etc. Save it all as PDFs and have it handy- and most importantly have clearly labeled the most recent written interaction in which he provided a response that gives some indication he accepts or acknowledges that there is a pending transaction. I am NOT a legal expert in this area, nor am I an attorney, but I do know that in certain legal situations the most recent date of certain types of interactions can become more important than the actual date of the transaction. I have no idea if it applies here, but be ready with everyone you can assemble since each avenue you pursue could have different rules.

Also- check and see if hopefully you have some kind of indication from him in email that you do have a pending store credit. Not you asking for it- but him saying or acknowledging that you have a store credit for future use.

At this late date, your odds with your credit card company are likely very low- but if you go to small claims court and/or file a complaint with your state liquor authority, then you will need all these documents plus evidence you have attempted to file a chargeback with your credit card company.

If no luck with your credit card company, I would then look up your state liquor authority- or the authority in the state in which the retailer is domiciled if different than your own, and contact that authority to file a complaint. Rules vary by state, but I know here in Texas the TABC tends to be very strict and takes complaints seriously. Someone holding a liquor license has a lot less leeway to screw around with customers than many other businesses- certainly when it comes to non-delivery of merchandise.

If no luck there, then small claims is your only shot I think- but first look into the process of claims across states if that is your situation.

Outing the retailer here is your choice. Generally I advise against it, but in a case like this- if this guy really has your money and is blowing you off (not saying I do not believe you- just being objective)- then I think it is a good idea to out that retailer once you have fully explored all of your options and have a final outcome. Doing it beforehand and raising tempers on the other side can only do you harm while you still have other options. Hence the advice to explore those options first before last resort of virtual blasting.

Pretty good argument why one should generically refuse ‘store credit’ and just get refunds.

We live in a world where payment transmission is generally pretty easy, even if not frictionless, and its hard to really think of times where a store credit is preferable to cash, especially if they are offered at the same rate.

Yes well in hindsight, I was reviewing past emails from Feb. where he promised to send the check. Maybe lost in the mail ?

He promised to send a check in Feb and you have that in writing? Did you try writing him back and asking what’s up? The problem with all of the advice regarding court, etc., is that phone calls won’t matter. You can say you called a hundred times but a trail of writing is much better. Write him back a few times then go to the liquor authority, BBB, etc.