TN: A Good Tuesday ('09 Dom, '01 Prum, '01 Leflaive, '96 Giacosa, '68 F. Rinaldi, '07 Rousseau, '07 Drouhin)

A Berserker is celebrating a milestone birthday so we had a little get together last night to celebrate. Great wines pretty much across the board, sans the Ampeau that was off.
We brought in an up-n-coming local Israeli chef, Shay Lavi, to cook for us.

Food was outstanding. Some pics below.

I tend to play scribe in this group, though these are really brief notes jotted on my phone, gathered from thoughts shared by my comrades as we ate and drank. Figured I’d put this out before I forget much more. There were several other wines I’m blanking on.
Good night.

A GOOD TUESDAY - (10/24/2018)

• 2009 Dom Perignon Champagne - France, Champagne
    Great balance of yeasty-bready favors, acidity and fruit. Expansive. Rather rich, it shows upfront sweetness and ripe fruit. Apple and sweet lemon mousse. Really energetic and powerful on the palate right now. Crisp. Very nice, but needs time. Saying goodbye to my others for a while. (95 pts.)
  • 2001 Joh. Jos. Prüm Wehlener Sonnenuhr Riesling Spätlese - Germany, Mosel Saar Ruwer
    Spectacular showing. Incredible nose of petrol and chicken stock and funky-honey. I love the petrol on this one. Layers of flavor, still youthful in intensity. Finishes with a chiseled sweetness sparked with acidity and just rolls on. Terrific with the mezza spread. (95 pts.)
  • 2001 Domaine Leflaive Chevalier-Montrachet - France, Burgundy, Côte de Beaune, Chevalier-Montrachet Grand Cru
    When white Burgundy is great it is hard to beat. This was a tad closed at first, bit reticent on the nose. After a little bit of time in my glass, it just popped. Kaleidascope of aged white Burg nose: slight matchstick, floral, earthy, spring fruit, stock simmering. Love it. Ripe fruit that is dense and coats the palate. Texture is brilliant here. On and on. Really sang with the food and kept unraveling. (95 pts.)
  • 1995 Robert Ampeau & Fils Puligny-Montrachet 1er Cru Les Combettes - France, Burgundy, Côte de Beaune, Puligny-Montrachet 1er Cru
    Several bottles of this have been really good to me. This one, unfortunately was compromised. Not oxd. Good color. Vibrant. But perhaps very mild tca that has stripped this and left it hard and angular and lacking fruit. NR (flawed)

• 1968 Francesco Rinaldi e Figli Barolo - Italy, Piedmont, Langhe, Barolo
    Still alive and well. Slight orange rim, cloudy red. Old Barolo fragrance. Floral. Red Fruit that is clean and lively with intermittent wisps of acid. Not a blockbuster, but drank pretty damn well for 30 minutes before starting to fade a bit. (95 pts.)
  • 1996 Bruno Giacosa Barbaresco Rabajà - Italy, Piedmont, Langhe, Barbaresco
    This was beautiful last night. Elegant and regal. Pretty red cherry that is lithe and silky on the palate with a backdrop of earth and herbs. Still seeming so youthful. A joy to drink. One of the stars of the night. (95 pts.)
  • 2007 Domaine Armand Rousseau Père et Fils Chambertin - France, Burgundy, Côte de Nuits, Chambertin Grand Cru
    Pinot doesn’t get much better. Pretty much open and ready to party. Very '07 in that way. That Rousseau nose that carries much of what I look for in Burgundy- tea, spice, herbs, red fruit. Earth tones that slide in and out of cool red fruit. The energy here is terrific. That Rousseau thing of nuance and detailed fruit that coats the palate without weight. Intense. Lovely wine. Wish I could drink this on the regular. (95 pts.)
  • 2007 Joseph Drouhin Musigny - France, Burgundy, Côte de Nuits, Musigny Grand Cru
    Alongside the Rousseau Chambertin. Deep and powerful, a bit funkier on the nose, more earth and iodine. Meaty. Starting to show, but still a youthful power in reserve. Darker fruit. Really long. I was back and forth on my fave between with this and the Rousseau. (95 pts.)

• 1990 Prince Poniatowski Vouvray Aigle Blanc Vin de Tris - France, Loire Valley, Touraine, Vouvray
    These PP wines won’t quit. Continues to provide good drinking. Blinded at the end of the night, it was pegged as aged Chenin pretty quickly. Huet was the guess, until Klafter remember the Prince wines. Still rather rich fruit, honeyed and waxy. Fading acid provides nice lift. Long finish. Good closer. (94.49 pts)

Posted from CellarTracker

Indeed!

The fish look cool like that! Were those purple beans as one of the sides?

We had the 07 Rousseau Chambertin last week and it was absolutely wonderful. Blinded one would never guess it was from a “lesser” vintage

In the first pic? Those are marinated red onions with parsley and lemon. yummy

Indeed! Just drinking really well already. Yum-o

Surely the Vouvray also merited a 95?!

Thanks for the notes Dennis. Sounds like a nice b-day celebration.

oops. missed that one. You are right! Thanks [cheers.gif]

Good notes, thanks Dennis. The Rousseau Chambertin was spectacular, but this was a really excellent lineup all around. And I think your scores somehow got messed up copying over from Cellartracker?

Yum!

I was using your scores [cheers.gif]
But then I just changed them all to 95.
Thanks for hosting. Good party.

Btw, how much time would you say the 01 Leflaive Chevalier needed? Thanks!

A beautiful dinner and wonderful night to celebrate Rob’s birthday. Shay is so talented. Simple preparations with wonderful tasty food. Thanks Brad for doing this. Lots of fun. BTW, I loved the Rousseau! Spectacular.

Great report Dennis | Yes Joh. Jos. Prüm wines made for eternity with an endless flow of salts and stones !!

Fred. That Chevalier needs a good decant for an hour or so. In the glass it opened very slowly over the evening. It is a really good Chevalier.

WOWSA, Great Tuesday lineup and the food looks great as well

Don, thanks for the tip! We’re doing one Saturday alongside the 97 so we’ll be sure to decant it. I hope it shows as well as yours.

Thanks! Was bummed the '95 Ampeau did not show well coming off your recent report. Everything else was on!

[cheers.gif] Thanks, Marcus

Please let the record reflect, my scores ranged from 91 to 96 (the Rousseau), with only one 95 (the Musigny). [tease.gif]

Thank you so much for hosting an amazing birthday dinner. Couldn’t have asked for a better night of wine and friends. These wines all showed so well. Open and giving. Each was perfect for it’s place in time. That night reminds me why we do this. Memorable. Onwards 50!!!

Jealous of Leflaive Chevy, may be my favorite white wine on earth barring ox issues.

Food looks killer too.