What is the deal with the 2014 Chidaine wines?

I’ve seen mixed notes on these wines over the years, and there has been some discussion here about various wines from this vintage, but I’m curious to see what people think happened with this producer in this vintage. I’ve opened several wines including four Choiselles, one last night, all of which have been gold to brown and advanced, flat on the nose and palate, and seemingly irredeemable. I’ve put the cork in this one to revisit but the others have never recovered. Some have suggested this is a phase, but if its a phase its something like I’ve never seen before, where many wines from a vintage show hallmarks of premox yet people suggest they will recover. I’ve heard of Huet with premox, but it seems to be more isolated, even in a bad vintage it appears more hit-and-miss than what has happened here. I’d love to hear what those who actually taste regularly in the Loire have to say about this.

I’ve had 2 different 2014’s in the last six months, and while mine were light gold colored, neither had any advanced traits. My problem with them can best be described as being too “rough” for me. I can’t remember the alcohol, but I do remember these hitting me kind of hard (full disc: I am a lightweight). I also felt the acidity sticking out too much.

I hope folks pipe up with other Vouvray and Montlouis options outside of Huet, since I haven’t bought any Chidaine since 2014.

I’ve had several 2014s over the last year, and none were advanced.

That said, I did not like any of them very much. They just seemed lifeless.

Thanks Chris and David. In a way your findings only make it more interesting and more obvious that something wasn’t right. Many notes, particularly on the Choiselles, indicate advanced wines, but others just say they weren’t very good. 2014 seems a good vintage for Loire Chenin, so it shouldn’t have been hard to make good wines and it seems that something went wrong.

I don’t really remember the vintages and bottling, but I had been a fan of Chidaine several years ago and I’m just kind of not anymore. Slightly advanced bottles with an apple cider flavor, bottles with a kind of flat feel and no energy.

It’s entirely possible I just the wrong bottlings and vintages, but I think I’m going to look elsewhere going forward.

I’ve been through almost a case of 14’, a mix of the different bottlings, and about half have been advanced or off. Very disappointing given this was supposed to be a good vintage. I had hoped it would be much like 2010, where Chidaine’s wines continue to show very well.

I agree with Chris’s comments about the apple cider flavors and lack of energy, in the ones that are off.

2014 François Chidaine Montlouis-sur-Loire Les Choisilles
“The reports of my death are greatly exaggerated.” Well maybe not exaggerated, but this was a great bottle tonight. While fairly golden yellow in color, the nose and palate were not at all advanced. Gorgeous lemon curd and a little honey, maybe lanolin. Nicely textured, with ample mineral/acid cut. I’d suspect this bottle would have lasted years, although others have reported the pox.

Cheers,

Warren

I also had a very nice bottle of the 14 Les Choiselles last week. Though I do intend to drink though my 14s faster than originally planned.

There have been a lot of reports of problems with the '14s. There was a thread on it a while back.

I missed the previous thread on the topic, but can weigh in to say that a bottle of the 2014 Vouvray Le Bouchet about a week ago was very nice indeed. Not as much lift or acidic spring to it as a 2015 Montluis Clos du Breuil, but with more weight and a more rounded and rewarding fruit core. No signs of advanced flavors in either.

-Michael

I taste at the domain’s tasting room in Montluis a few weeks ago. I didn’t take any notes but my picture shows we tasted '15 Bouchet, 2 '16 Molleuxs and the remainder 2017. 14 wines in total including a sparkling and the rose. The quality was impressive. I cannot speak to the '14s, but I still have '08s to drink (and have loved most of them, especially the Bournais, Habert and Bouchet).

The verdict is still out given the longevity of Vouvray/Montlouis, but 2008 is looking like it may turn out to be the best vintage since 1996, especially for those who like a bit less botrytis in their wines. Time will tell. Outside Huet’s 2002 problems, other domaines are strong in 2002 as well. And 2014.

I still have a handful of Vouvray and MSL secs from 05, 08 and 10, and a couple 15. I’ll get another 08 open soon and post on it. Alan just posted some thoughts on a 10 Bournais…wasn’t too positive.

This past weekend I opened an 08 Bournais from magnum that showed well. I opened a 10 Bournais a month or so ago that also showed well. I don’t think I have had an 08 or 10 that have disappointed. The 14’s are a crap shoot, however. Some are good and and some are bad.

Last tasted his 2014s back in 2017 and no problem then, in fact they were fine. Have a few tucked away, will have to take another look.

IMG_3534.JPG
Opened this for dinner tonight. In very good shape. Yummily off dry. Energetic and delicious. Maybe a TN to follow.

It’s not the 2014, but my last 2011. Figured I would give it a go last night and then a retry tonight. Drinking OK but also moments of ‘meh’. I’m left now with a smattering of 2008s, 2010s and 2015s in the cellar.

• 2011 François Chidaine Montlouis-sur-Loire Les Choisilles - France, Loire Valley, Touraine, Montlouis-sur-Loire (5/8/2019)
    Geez, 3 notes in the last 3+ years across the community? And my last one was from 2016. Decided to open this tonight, as I wanted a white and didn’t know how this would show. This started off odd, with an oily like texture/palate impression. And, it was kind of bitter, although that ain’t far off from my 2016 note when I noted that impression. So, left the wine in the glass, refreshed it with a cooler pour, and now tasting again about 90 mins later. Will say the odd quality seemed to go away, as it’s drinking cleaner, with tangerine, lime and the same green tropical thing I noted in 2016. For now, I am going to withhold judgment until tomorrow, when I will do another glass with dinner and see what it shows…retasting the following day at ideal temp. This has improved but it has an odd-like balance, with a pear, tart apple, tangerine and a bitter note. My last 2011 Chidaine, and time to find a Pinot Noir from the cellar to enjoy with the NHL Conf Final tonight.

Posted from CellarTracker

For whatever it’s worth, I opened a '15 Habert tonight and it was terrific, just as good as it was on release. Very lively and fresh; no oxidation. Meanwhile the '14s were nearly a drain pour by this point. Didn’t buy any '16s or '17s based on the nosedive the '14s took, but this is giving me the urge to try again with Chidaine, because when they’re on they’re just so good.

Opened a 2014 Chidaine Les Choisilles last night which was completely oxidized and undrinkable. Went and grabbed a second bottle of the same thing, and this one was advanced, but still drinkable. No where near as good as the bottle I opened in 2016 shortly after receiving them. Very disappointing. I think I still have 6 bottles of 2014 Chidaine left, so I’d better drink up (or pour out, depending on what comes out of the bottle).

Uh oh. I’ve still got more than 2 cases of '14 Chidaines. Guess I need to pull a few corks over the weekend.