great wine wknd: DRC, Raveneau, Dauvissat,Ente, Rinaldi, Monfortino, Mugneret-Gibourg, Grange, Masseto, Chave, Scarecrow

I don’t write up tasting notes often, but since I asked I the opinion on which DRC I at least “owed” the board a report.

Mostly from memory:
Friday: 07 Cristal on the flight fresh delicious, nice salinity, definitely some citrus notes. I much preferred it to the older Krug that we also had. I didn’t get the disgorgement on the Krug and there was no reference on the label as to edition etc. The Krug was a bit too toasty for me, not sure if it had been stored perfectly. Lunch with 2013 Arnaud Ente Aligote, definitely punches above the appellation, almost viscous in weight but clearly not really viscous-just great mouthfeel coating the palate. I’ve only had A Ente’s wines a handful of times and I understand the hype.

Dinner:
2011 Moreau-Naudet Valmur, still crazy that Stephane passed at such a young age-when I saw it on the list I had to try it as he was a very very nice guy. On its own, this wine would’ve been great, it had great energy and tension, showing no signs of age. Against the 2013 Dauvissat La Forest the finish just came up a little short. The Forest finish just seemed to go on and on with saline and orchard fruits.

On to the reds-we did two flights of two wines *I know the reds are far too young, but sometimes you drink them when you can-such is life. First wine was 2012 Mugneret-Gibourg Echezeaux, we had ordered an older vintage but they couldn’t find it and they found a 12 which was not on the list. The 12 was fairly dark and brooding, it was the first time I’ve tasted this out of bottle and was fortunate to taste from barrel at the domaine. It took about 45-hour to wake up and dance. When it did there was dark fresh cherries, stone fruit and great length-a really great wine.

I had asked the other day as to which DRC someone would order and why. We went with the 06 RSV, again if you had the MG Echezeaux on its own it would’ve been all you could ask for, but the 06 RSV had another gear. Much softer, rounder, had that DRC animal’ furry character to it. Bruised red fruits, incredible length, I can still taste it.

The inevitable “value proposition” came up and it was about split whether you’d rather have a few of the Echezeaux or the RSV etc.

2nd flight:
2008 Giuseppe Rinaldi Le Coste: my surprise of the night, nose explodes out of the glass of fresh roses, wine was much softer and approachable than I would’ve guessed. Incredibly expressive and perfumed. I really love these wines.

2002 Giacamo Conterno Monfortino: I wanted to love this wine more than I did, I don’t think I’ve ever had a Monfortino that has been “ready” this wine seemed a bit more linear than the Le Coste and was not nearly as perfumed or expressive as the Le Coste. Still beautiful, but on this day the Le Coste was the better dancer.

Saturday with football:
2012 Dauvissat Vaillons, I think the 13 Forest had better freshness but the 12 may have been served a bit warmer. Great mouthfeel, all you could really ask for.

Dinner:
2015 Roulot Borgogne Blanc: can definitely tell it is from a warm vintage, but still very nice and was a good buy at $50. Good starter and went great with crab claws.

2000 DRC Richebourg: I have drank a ton of 00 DRC and have always enjoyed them. This wine is in a very nice place, not fully mature but soft and approachable. I would have no problem opening again. Again that almost animal fur mouth feel, bruised red fruits, perfumed nose that just goes on and on. This was my wine of the night.

2000 Masseto: I don’t know how 00 was for Italy or how this was rated, I get a sense that the more recent vintages of this wine are much bigger and riper. This wine was ripe, but no where near the ripeness I have had with more recent vintages. Definately taken on some tertiary flavors, didn’t have the balance or elegance of the DRC, seemed unpolished in comparison.

1998 Grange: much riper, than the previous, signature eucalyptus notes with blue fruit, still fairly dense. Very nice wine.

2003 Chave Rouge: wow, hugely ripe wine. This wine has never shut down, I think I’ve been fortunate to try this wine probably 10times. Crushed rocks, ultra ripe fruit, but still fresh and not out of balance as many other 03s are. Fruit is bordering on candied, but still not overripe for my palate. I liked this more than some others did.

2014 Scarecrow: I have met Bret and Mimi before and I think they are super interesting and warm people. On this day, in the company it kept, I found the Scarecrow to be just too big, too much oak. It was a definite knife and fork wine. Others liked this much more than me, there was 5 of us so it didn’t make much sense to vote on the wine of the night. If we did I’m pretty sure the DRC, Grange, and Scarecrow would’ve been the winners (not my order) and the Messeto was probably the least popular red.

All in all a pretty memorable wknd.

cheers

-paul

whew glad the 06 rsv showed ;D

Do you think the Monfortino is in a weird phase?

I suspect the monfortino could have used a much longer decant…probably several hours and they were all decanted just before service. Given the pace of food we probably got to it after it had been decanted for maybe 1hr

Good stuff Paul.

Paul. Love these notes. The Richebourg sounds like it is in a great place. Cheers.

I don’t think a longer decant would have helped your Monfortino. I’m firmly of the opinion that a longer decant on young barolo tends to shut them down rather than opening them up. With the '02 Monfortino in particular, just a couple of years ago, we opened one and gave it about 3 (IIRC) hours decant before tasting it at lunch. At that point it was showing young but very impressive. Within another hour, it shut down hard and did not open up again by the time we went to bed late. We put the cork back in and refrigerated it overnight. It was still shut down the next morning. I’ve had many similar experiences and now only give old nebbiolo the long decant treatment.

Sarah, you may be right. The wine did seem to tighten up later in the evening. I would say massive patience is required for the 02.

Which Raveneau did you end up drinking? Didn’t see a tasting note above…

Agree about the Monfortino - it can shut down in the decanter. As to when it’s ready… the only Monfortinos I’ve had that were ready were more than half a century old.

What the heck is animal fur mouth feel

I agree great notes on a stellar group pf bottles.
Don- the DRC was a Romanee St Vivant not a Richebourg.

Believe he was referring to the other bottle of DRC referenced above…the ‘00 Richebourg

thanks I missed that.

Y, good catch. It was 04 Butteaux, with some oysters and cold shrimp. Brilliant wine, great cut, high acid, fresh crushed stones and citrus. Wonderful freshness and minerality, as it warmed it was almost oily. Would’ve gotten more but it was sadly the last bottle.

Nice! Looks like ‘04 Butteaux is getting lots of love on WB right now. I have a couple bottles of ‘04 Blanchot squirreled away, just trying to decide when to open one.

Fabulous weekend and some really fine wines albeit very young. Thanks for sharing and reporting. Its got to be pretty rare to see any Masseto come in last in any lineup of reds. Have to think lack of balance and tertiary flavors denote some issue with the bottle.

Tough lineup to put Masseto and Scarecrow into, but awesome lineup nonetheless.

Thank you for sharing.

I’ve never actually had a Monfortino that was ready, whereas I’ve had plenty of amazing Rinaldis and Giacosas.
I just don’t get the fuss about these wines. Emperor’s new clothes?

Given that I’ve had a ton of Conterno’s wines that have been profound, I don’t think it is an emperor’s clothes situation. I just haven’t had any that have been older than 20yrs and I think they probably need more or they need a massively long decant time.