Robert Ampeau et Fils Tasting

• 1995 Robert Ampeau & Fils Meursault - France, Burgundy, Côte de Beaune, Meursault
    Bright golden, yellow color. Mature honeyed, brioche nose on the palate powerful ripe apricot, spice, honey, long and very complex! (92 pts.)

• 1995 Robert Ampeau & Fils Meursault 1er Cru Charmes - France, Burgundy, Côte de Beaune, Meursault 1er Cru
    Golden color. Sweet honeyed nose on the palate dried yellow fruits, nuts and spices with a touch of oxidation, far less lively than the 1995 Meursault! (90 pts.)

• 1995 Robert Ampeau & Fils Puligny-Montrachet 1er Cru Les Combettes - France, Burgundy, Côte de Beaune, Puligny-Montrachet 1er Cru
    Deep golden color. Ripe apple, honey aromas on the palate oily, nutty and spicy with a touch of oxidation, structured and complex! (91 pts.)

• 1982 Robert Ampeau & Fils Meursault 1er Cru La Pièce-sous-le-Bois - France, Burgundy, Côte de Beaune, Meursault 1er Cru
    Deep golden color. Fresh powerful aromas on the palate bright acidity, orange peel and slight spicy ending long and refreshing! (93 pts.)

• 1993 Robert Ampeau & Fils Pommard - France, Burgundy, Côte de Beaune, Pommard
    Interesting aromas. On the palate solid structured with earth, hard acidity and tannins. Needs time!? (89 pts.)

• 1990 Robert Ampeau & Fils Beaune 1er Cru Clos du Roi - France, Burgundy, Côte de Beaune, Beaune 1er Cru
    Complex earth aromas. On the palate well balanced with dark cherries, tabacco, mushroom and forest floor ending a bit short! (91 pts.)

• 1989 Robert Ampeau & Fils Savigny-lès-Beaune - France, Burgundy, Côte de Beaune, Savigny-lès-Beaune
    Complex leather, earth nose. On the palate unbalanced, tired and raw with slight humus and tabacco. Short, unpleasant and too far! (88 pts.)

• 1988 Robert Ampeau & Fils Blagny 1er Cru La Pièce-sous-le-Bois - France, Burgundy, Côte de Beaune, Blagny 1er Cru
    Dense aromas of strawberry, spices and meat. Round, soft balanced and elegant with earth, dark fruit, fine acidity and integrated tannins. (92 pts.)

• 1976 Robert Ampeau & Fils Volnay 1er Cru Santenots - France, Burgundy, Côte de Beaune, Volnay 1er Cru
    Exciting and expressive purple fruit aromas. On the palate this wine displays prominent youth and energy, harmonious balanced with juicy tannins, bright fruit and earthiness. No need to rush, Wow! (94 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

really cool tasting. Used to see a lot of intentionally late released R. Ampeau, but no longer. Cold cellars reportedly and excellent winemaking.

Courtier was, and may be still, selling back vintages of Ampeau whites that I believe are ex-cellar. I like them a lot, although they can be variable. Never liked the reds as much but don’t think I’ve ever had any in this lineup.

+1
This is great, Barry. I picked up most of the whites you posted on when they were late-released and they have all shown really well.
Might actually open that '95 Combettes tomorrow night.
I’ve had less success being wowed by the reds, but that '76 sounds great!
Nice work.

Happy drinking Dennis & would appreciate any comments on the wine !?

It seems that every Ampeau wine is unpredictable at least during this tasting! and impossible to taste the wines blind and guess appellations, vintage …

Yes, I have also been more impressed with the whites. Had a '93 Les Combettes, which I opened at a La Paulee type thing in Chicago; it blew away everything on the table, except for a Coche and a Rousseau Chambertin (including some DRC’s). Truly stunning white.The 1990 Savigny Les Lavieres was less impressive, but now tempted to pop a '90 Sous Piece-la-Bois this weekend.

Not sure it is correct but I heard R. Ampeau was acquired, stock and all, by N. Potel. And that some Ampeau wine is or was being sold under the Potel label. But I have no confirmation of any of this.

I have some of the 76 Volnay Santenots. It is pretty good, but didn’t totally blow my socks off. 91 and 93 Santenots have been variable, some corked bottles. the 93 Meursault Perrieres has been killer.

Played hooky from work and went to an Ampeau tasting in Flemington, NJ mid-late 90’s. The late releases showed very youthful. I regret not buying some then.