TN: 2017 Falkenstein Niedermenniger Herrenberg Riesling Spätlese feinherb #3

Following up the last Falkenstein thread with this new and improved Falkenstein thread (that’s an inside joke from another dimension, namely Wine Disorder), this equally limpid wine is very fine but in a rounder style than the intensely cut and driving 2016 version of AP3. At least I think that is a fair comparison. There is a conundrum. The label says this is AP#3. The cork is branded AP#15. I’m not sure what to make of that. Lars might be able to shed light here or on IG.

In any case sponti, lightly spearminty aromas dominate until Day 4 (3 full days open). Then like magic it emerges. The nose shifts to a dynamic tapestry of anise, caraway, quinine, and herbs, most reminiscent to my nose of François Cotat’s Chavignol Culs de Beaujeu. But the slate-grown mouth is entirely different than that Kimmeridgian cracker. Lime and Granny Smith, definitely rounder and less diamond precise than 2016, but perhaps better integrated for its age. Best served below cellar temperature. It has almost full-on Spatlese feel for a feinherb. It’s good. Very good. And goes excellently with a homemade butter chicken.
065AC533-9A10-47B4-960B-DF97FB6DC3B7.jpeg

FYI the 2017 Falkenstein Auslese is available at Wine Therapy in NYC. Never had their auslese before as it’s such low production, but I’m sure well worth trying (I am technically on a buying moratorium).

A 2016 Auslese — Seth Rosenberg may have posted notes — that a few of us had at Bite of Hong Kong last winter was crazy good.

It has almost full-on Spatlese feel for a feinherb.

I don’t know the stats here, but that’s the flexibility/inconsistency of Feinherb.

Thanks for the note. I opened a bottle last week and didn’t get any sponti, but maybe my sponti detector was thrown off by tasting a bunch of 2017 Prums that didn’t have any sponti and might have confused my brain.

great notes. I recently opened the 2017 Falkenstein Krettnacher Euchariusberg Riesling Spätlese AP 14. it took 2 days for wine to blossom. First night is was flat and fat. Second night the acidity came it to give the wine lift.

Because we do cask-by-cask bottlings and each cask varies a little in size, there can be a discrepancy between the number on the cork and the label. The number on the label takes precedence over the one on the cork when this does occur.

Our Spätlese feinherb bottlings tend to be between 30 and 40 g/l residual sugar in most vintages. The (ripe) acidity is almost always over 10 g/l, with pH 3 and usually even lower. Most producers’ Spätlesen are much sweeter. One could argue that AP 3 and our other Niedermenniger Herrenberg Spätlese feinherb wines are what Saar Spätlesen use to be in terms of sweetness levels.

Thanks again, Lars.

Alex, it seemed like what we typically call sponti, and the transformation with a few days of air (refridgerated) I think backs that up.

You’re welcome, Jayson. It’s been a while since I commented on this forum. But I felt it would be easier if I replied to some of the recent threads in regard to Hofgut Falkenstein. Just so you know, we don’t delegate the bottling, labeling, or packing to others. We do the work ourselves. I’m the only employee at the property.