Can you tell from only a blurry picture what wine this is?

Hi everybody!

So my parents are soon celebrating their 35. anniversary and I want to buy them their marriage wine (or if not available, something close to it). All I’ve got is this blurry picture though:

I’ve already asked friends and a local wine shop, but nobody could help me out. That’s why I am here!

As far as I can tell, the wine logo is a blue/purple, standing oval with a yellow “v” and a golden crown on top. The wine is probably not the cheapest since it was a big day in their life. The wine is presumably of the vintage around 1978.

Can someone help me out? Do you know what kind of wine this is? Even the “sort” or some other details would already help me a lot.

I’m very excited about your contribution and comments!

Greetings,
Dario

Wish I recognized the label, good chance someone here will. But a few clues: It’s a Burgundy shaped bottle, and a glass often used for Burgundy as well, plus the labels look quite Burgundy-like, so I’m going to conclude it’s a Burgundy :wink:

Dario

Just go back and check their Instagram feed from 35 years ago. Or Delectable if they used it.

They probably mention the name of the wine.

Yup its a magnum of burgundy

is it possible for you to scan the photo in or take it without the flash that blurs the left of the photo?

Or possibly Beaujolais? That first word could be Beaujolais.

Domaine Bitouzet-Prieur?

Label on ct looks diff.

Good guess. Certainly very similar:

https://www.google.com/search?safe=active&tbm=isch&sa=1&ei=V5_HW5HYMcXAsQXp3qLQDQ&q=1978+bitouzet+prieur+wine+labels&oq=1978+bitouzet+prieur+wine+labels&gs_l=img.3...43819.44518..44870...0.0..0.82.397.5......0....1..gws-wiz-img.ulEHde9onqw#imgrc=UY-44AP05lYNzM:

1 Like

Good point, bojo would make sense for a wedding

The label does look like Beaujolais Villages

Almost certainly Beaujolais, but I can’t make out more than that:
bottle.JPG

You guys are amazing, thank you so much! You convinced me that is must be Beaujolais.

I now searched a lot of those wines now but can’t find exactly that label, so I guess I will just buy them a good bottle of beaujolais as a gift.

I lean towards the Bojo view, however looking at the positioning, I’m in the camp that it’s probably Beaujolais Villages as they would have centred that text - meaning there is another word forming the appellation name.

I suppose it could also bring Beaujolais Nouveau into the equation, but was that term used widely on labels?

I don’t disagree it looks like Beaujolais however the context doesn’t make sense completely.

Wedding - usually a higher end wine so burgundy would make more sense)

1978 - if I’m not mistaken Beaujolais has been more of a popular recent phenomenon amongst Somms and wine geeks?

Wedding in the USA in 1978 - unless your parents were true oeniphiles I just can’t imagine they would go the Beaujolais route

You have to understand how small the wine world was back then. The UNited States did not have anywhere near the sophistication of wine drinking we have now. Beaujolais, heck anything from France would have been seen as “high class” regardless of what the appellation was, so I could see this for a wedding (Lancers would have been seen as a special wine, so this is clearly a step up!).

No one has said Chateaubeuf du Pape…is that also a possibility?
The more I look at it the more it looks like it’s Beaujolais…just look for the J & L

Early for nouveau. It existed, but wasn’t widely distributed in bottles overseas at that time. (if at all). I do remember casks in Paris about that time

I think that logo is one used by Henri de Villamont at the time. I knew it looked familiar, but I can’t take credit for remembering who it was. It was the V that helped me narrow down the google search.

^^^This^^^ in a Beaujolais, just spring for a different bottling.