Weekly Wine Consumption Poll

So what is your weekly wine consumption rate??

• What is the average number of bottles (750 ml equivalent) that you open weekly?
  • 1. less than 1 bottle.
  • 2. 1-2 bottles
  • 3. 3-4 bottles
  • 4. 5-6 bottles
  • 5. 7-8 bottles
  • 6. 9-10 bottles
  • 7. more than 10

0 voters

I have been wondering of late about the wine consumption rate of board members. Seems that we have everything from special occasion only drinkers to those that are opening multiple bottles daily. For my wife and I, a bottle each evening with dinner is the norm with a slight bump for special occasions and those days when friends drop by and a deduct for time away from home and our cellar. This works out to be 7-8 bottles a week on average.

To be consistent lets only include bottles you procure for consumption. e.g. from the cellar; bought or gifted and drank; or purchased from a restaurant. Do not count wines tasted at an event unless you provided the wine.

I apologize if this has already been done. I did not find it in a search.

This has been done countless times, but it’s difficult to find the polls as they aren’t always the same wording. I was specific in answering ‘wine’ not total alcohol consumption

I would have picked 2-3 but it wasn’t an option, so FLAWED POLL.

Is countless +1 = “countlessless”??

Somehow I knew [cheers.gif]

I open more than 10 a week but they are usually shared with wife, family and friends. Yeah… FLAWED…

my wife and i normally work on a single bottle through the week and then open up a couple with friends during the weekend

It varies so widely that I can’t answer the question. This month will be 2 bottles for all of October as I don’t anticipate drinking anything while on vacation but in November I’ve somehow committed myself to 6 wine dinners plus La Fete du Champagne.

Varies widely here too but typical is 1-2. Would think the number doing the drinking (singles vs. couples) would also be a factor.

The header says consumption of bottles but question asks about opening of bottles. Those are different questions.

I open several bottles each week but don’t consume them all.

I’m at less than one.

I like wine but my mind and body function better on a limited alcohol intake. Also popping fewer bottles makes opening a pricier bottle once in a while seem less extravagant.

Downside is I don’t taste as widely as some but I’m ok with that and the experience of this board help supplement that deficiency.

I voted for 1 bottle,; but on average, it’s less than that.

In the next few weeks, I’ll be opening multiple bottles for our 40th anniversary; followed by another couple of bottles dinner with friends, followed by an offline, Thanksgiving, and then another offline. Basically 0 to 60 in a short amount of time. Estimated 8 bottles in the next 4 weeks, so average of 2 per week.

Dan

One of my favorite wine groups got started with a question like this. A bunch of us were sitting around a hotel lobby at a break in a medical meeting when someone asked how much wine everyone drank. I took honors by a long shot with 3-4 bottles a week (it’s half that now) between my wife and I.

This piqued the interest of a few others, and we started getting together for wine dinners at meetings, usually twice a year. It’s been more of a hassle since 2006 when liquids were excluded from carry-ons, but we’ve been going strong for over 20 years. Mostly US but we have occasional international participants, especially at overseas meetings. We’ve had dinners on 5 continents. Next one is in Chicago next week.

Wow. The results so far really surprise me. I would have guessed that the average would be closer to a bottle a day. Off by 100%… goes to show what I know.

Thank you everyone for participating.

Don’t worry, Don. Many of us are that end of the spectrum as well. A typical week for us, when not traveling or dieting, is around 7-10 bottles between the two of us.

Had to confirm with CellarTracker…through last week, we’re at 2.02 bottles per week in 2018.

it depends on how many wine dinners I attend in a given week.

This is an interesting question when paired with the “how many bottles in your cellar” question - I tend to think that a cellar of 300-500 bottles is too small/limited, but I guess if you only drink one bottle a week, that’s six+ years worth of wine.

My wife and I tend to drink wine at dinner, so I’m generally opening up at least 7 bottles a week.

flirtysmile [cheers.gif]

My wife and I have wine with dinner nearly every night, so probably 5-7.

So if you consume less than 1 bottle a week but visit WB almost daily and post about frequent wine purchases does that indicate you are really simply a wine flipper? Asking for a friend?