"The Man" is blocking wine shipments from NY to CA

Attempt #1 (from Morrell Wine):

a2.png
Both UPS and Morrell claimed they did not request the sendback. I certainly didn’t. Two weeks later, attempt #2:

a1.png
I told them I’m done with this crap and want a full refund (seeing as the wine will now have made two full cross-country trips during a hot California October). “The Man”, whoever he is, can kiss my ass. Guess the days of buying from NY wine retailers are over.

Interesting. . . I’m confused, I thought that CA allows for wine shipments into the state. Something change recently?

For goodness sake, California has legalized POT, why would they care about wine?

This has to do with New York right? They aren’t allowing shipments out?

“This has to do with New York right? They aren’t allowing shipments out?” That is my understanding, based upon a conversation with a NY retailer who is holding wine I purchased earlier this year. There are workarounds, apparently. What is no longer allowed is to ship wine from NY State to California, or Washington (not sure which other states are on the “no fly” list).

This is very concerning. Also, the tracking info above shows that the wine had already reached California before turning around? That doesn’t make much sense.

Yeah, that’s the hilarious part. The Man decided to wait until the package was actually on the TRUCK for delivery in CA before turning it around. Twice. Pure clown shoes.

this is an NY EXPORT issue, not a CA IMPORT one. about 6 months ago Another wine store had to change to a third party shipper with tracking info out of NJ to get wines to me as well it looks like? Adds a few dollars to each shipment but at least I havent had this issue (yet)

Is this a UPS phenomenon, or is Fedex doing this too?

I posted about this last spring when I had several boexes stopped or returned to sender from nyc. One of the retailers told me that the enforcement was a nyc thing somehow I believe.

So why the hell are major retailers like Morrell still shipping out-of-state six months later and claiming to have no idea why the boxes are getting bounced back? I’m seriously the only person outside of New York who has bought wine from them since March? Or am I on the special “no-wine” list courtesy of the Cigarette-Smoking Man?

I’ve been receiving deliveries from multiple NYC retailers the past 10 days. All Fedex. No issues. fwiw

Maybe the delivery driver is tired of lugging those heavy @$$ boxes and never getting a tip? (Just Joking…promise)

This is a UPS issue I believe. CSW switched from UPS to FEDEX a while ago and this must be the reason why. They only told me that they had “issues” with UPS. I just received a 6 case shipment from CSW via FEDEX last week. I dislike FEDEX because they will deliver your wine early with only a 24 hour notice, I have had this happen multiple times so I had my wine delivered to a local FEDEX office and picked it up myself for a while. FEDEX also splits orders up, likely not intentionally, but last shipment 5 cases were on one truck and the other case came a day later. UPS always delivered a complete multi-case order on the planned delivery day so I always knew which day to stay at home to await delivery.

UPS has a long history of being difficult about wine shipments, always looking for an excuse to make trouble.

Some 20 years ago, they confiscated legal shipments from California to West Virginia when they passed through a distribution center in western Maryland.

You should see what the shipping origination point is. See if it’s the store where you bought it, or somewhere else.

David-I remember the UPS Maryland problem in a different way. Back then I picked up my wine at a UPS store in Martinsburg, WV. At that time shipping to MD was not allowed. I’m guessing that this shipment had to pass through MD to get to WV. Apparently it was noticed to be wine because the WV store called me and said my wine was in a UPS distribution center in Hagerstown, MD that was forbidden by law to handle it and that I had a day or so to pick up there or it would be destroyed. I went the next day and had no trouble getting it. I was not the only one there at the time picking up wine. In this case it seems that UPS was being the opposite of difficult.

Cheers,
Curt

you are the first person ive ever seen who preferred UPS over Fedex for wine shipping.

To be fair, it seems to vary by region. But in the NYC area, UPS is a clown show when it comes to shipping wines. I’ll spare the boring details, but I have had direct experience with shipping issues when Chambers was using UPS.

My regular UPS driver can’t pour his own slushy at 7-11, let alone properly deliver a box (even those that don’t require a signature!), so getting a wine package sent UPS is a disaster for me.