2018 Bordeaux Update - Getting Hot Out There...

Just read a Decanter article from today on 2018 Bordeaux harvest news. Sadly, looks like another hot vintage:

“Bordeaux 2018 red wines: Balance key amid high alcohol levels” As final grapes were being brought in at Château Léoville Las Cases in St-Julien earlier this week, director Pierre Graffeuille said that he had never seen such high levels of natural alcohol for Cabernet Sauvignon, which reached 14.5%. However, he also stressed that fresh fruit and acidity meant that 2018 will be ‘concentrated in alcohol and tannins, but with enough acidity to achieve Bordeaux balance’.

Further south, Château Margaux, Château Margaux director Philippe Bascaules said that the 2018 grand vin may have a 14% abv indication on its label for the first time that he can recall, because Cabernet Sauvignons on both gravel and clay sometimes reached 14.5 per cent alcohol. ‘In 2015 we were at 13.5% and in 2018, we may be at 14 (for the label),’ he told Decanter.com. On the white wine side, Margaux harvested earlier than usual to maintain acidity. Château Mouton Rothschild director Philippe Dhalluin said the vintage may be a ‘2009+’ but stressed that cool nights helped to maintain enough freshness."

[soap.gif] [cheers.gif]

The new normal.

Obviously I haven’t tasted these wines, but I’ve never heard anyone say, yup, it was a hot year and the wines sure are a roasted, flabby mess. It’s always:

• but cool nights
  • but we picked early
  • but balanced
  • but not 2003
  • but but but…

Time will tell.

We have f-ed up the planet, and the wines are only going to get worse. They are also a minor consideration when there are water shortages and famine on the way.

After following the Bordeaux vintage these past few months, I was a little surprised to suddenly wake up and read about a high alcohol/hot vintage. [wow.gif] Six weeks ago many in Bordeaux sounded optimistic about a high quality vintage - hadn’t read any reports about heat spikes that might have caused sugars to spike, etc. Yes, time will tell and results will vary. Can’t also help but notice that Bordeaux “fever” has noticeably declined these past 10-15 years. [stirthepothal.gif] Where is Parker when you need him! [wink.gif]

I think it’s refreshing (pun intended) that 2018 being 2009+ isn’t considered a wonderful thing. Instead the trade is having to make reassuring statements about freshness and acidity. It really is time to ring down the curtain on RP’s dominance of Bordeaux

Oops… if Cabernet is 14.5… I’m wondering what Merlot will be on the right bank… [cry.gif]

I want to comment that the author of this article was our very own, and my friend, Panos Kakaviatos

You know a vintage is going to be hyped when the mainstream news is raving about it:

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-10-21/bordeaux-heading-for-great-classic-vintage-after-dry-summer

2005 was probably the last truly hyped vintage at least in the USA. 09, 10, 15 and 16 have received some buzz, but nothing like the frenzy of the 05s.

https://www.wine-searcher.com/m/2018/10/the-2018-bordeaux-harvest-report

Alright guys. We have another vintage of the century coming right up. After the 05, 09, 10, 15, and 16

Cheers Howard! Thanks for the reference. Have not been posting much in these pages but am coming back. Of course hype is to be expected from Bordeaux - lol - but the proof will be in the tastings from bottle and not necessarily from barrel. I fear for lowish acidities, especially for the whites, but you never know. We shall see :slight_smile: