Suggestions for wine cellar insurer

What company do you suggest? Looking for a great company at reasonable prices. Great or bad experiences would be appreciated

Chubb

I use AIG, lots of people on here use Chubb. They’re both good in my opinion.

Whoever insures “those nights” when the special bottles aren’t there when you wake up!!

Search for Chubb and you’ll fine earlier threads on this topic.

Looked up Chubb and AIG. Both seem to be about 1/2% per year. So a $100,000 cellar is $500/yr. Not cheap.

I disagree on the value. My AIG policy covers fire, theft, a dropped bottle (or lots of dropped bottles), earthquake, and even cooling unit failure cooking the wine. If you have a $100,000 cellar, then you have bottles that come close to or exceed the annual cost. Worth one bottle per year to have peace of mind, IMHO.

Bruce, I get your point. Peace of mind is not cheap. However my home owners insurance is 0.2% of the covered value with a deductible. I’ll ask if they a a deductible rate

Look up Safe Harbour Wine Storage.

[winner.gif]

I have insurance with AIG.

Coverage through Chubb isn’t as expensive as you note if you insure your home, vehicles, etc. through them.

Was anyone able to get insurance without having to change over their whole policy?

AmWins offers a solo wine insurance policy – the group was previously Bliss & Glennon (before becoming part of AmWins) and they were originally affiliated with insureyourwine.com, which is when I started using them. PM me if you’re interested and need contact details for over there (no affiliation outside of being a happy customer)

Not a fair comparison IMO. The average homeowners claim is far, far less than the total value of the home. I’d imagine a disaster in the cellar (fire, theft, earthquake…) will affect a far larger % of your cellar than the average homeowners claim. Plus, with my AIG policy my wine is insured anywhere in the world which presents unknown risks to the insurer.

This type of coverage is more akin to jewelry/art coverage than homeowners and I’d be shocked if anyone had a deductible rate. It also seems to be an oligopoly which obviously doesn’t help the consumer.

I thought AmWins was a wholesale broker. Who do they place the insurance with?

It’s placed with The Marine Insurance Company

Chubb. Not cheap but worth it. My cooling unit at our AZ home failed in the dead of summer, and blew 110 degree air into the cellar. We didn’t have a huge amount of wine there, but it was an $85,000 claim paid with no questions. They valued that particular cellar at 45% over what CT estimated it’s value to be. The process was completely hassle free.

Chubb writes mine as a separate rider attached to my homeowners policy.

That’s always nice to hear…sounds like an easy system. Has anyone had this size of a claim that was also this easy with another company?