TN: Sunday in the Park

We gathered at Cafe Arzu in Rego Park for Kosher Uzbeki/Middle Eastern food. Hummus and baba ganoush, tomato salad, spiced carrot salad, pickled vegetables, and Kebobs(!) (chicken, lamb rib, and chopped lamb).

A trip to Rego Park is always a home coming to me.

A few notes on an interesting set of wines.

1996 Didier Dagueneau Pur Sang Pouilly Fume. I bought this on release, and it is still sporting its price tag. It’s been a long time, old friend. Completely different in the nose and mouth. Tropical and honeyed aromatically. Linear and mineral with a mellowed but balancing acidity in the mouth, not electric like it was in its youth. It’s very decent, and seems to be drinking on a plateau as it’s stable and there is little development in the glass. But it’s not layered or textured like a top Chavignol or Bue with 20+ years in the bottle. I like it as much for nostalgia as what’s in the glass, but I wonder at the value at its current price point. It does go well with the vegetables and chicken.

2011 Alzinger Steinertal Riesling. This is always a great wine. I thought this bottle was mildly corked but others disagreed. The stoniness and grip of a top Alzinger Steinertal Riesling are there, just a tad clipped. And not the same weight or flavor impact as the 2012 a few weeks ago; that may be just the different vintage character. I’d love to see another bottle in a few years.

2007 Dauvissat Chablis La Forest. I am always glad to see a top 2007 Chablis, maybe my favorite Chablis vintage, and this did not disappoint. The extract, delineated penetration, and inner mouth aromatics distinguished this wine from the other whites tonight. I kept a glass around until the end, and as expected it kept getting better.

1993 Hanzell Vineyards Chardonnay Sonoma Coast. Served blind, it smells like a maturing Chenin sec, almost like a Savennieres. But then it’s hard to judge once tasted. None of us guessed Chardonnay or California. Still some energy and drinking well although it comes off a little short next to tough company, the Dauvissat. A real treat still.

2014 Domaine Rollin Pernand Vergelesses Rouge. I brought this because Pavel had sent me a favorable email on this just a few days before. Bright, earthy, strawberry, pure, and hard not to like. Then gets more serious and starts to fold in on itself with more air. It’s a village wine with a future. A good match with the Chicken kebobs.

2005 Bernard Baudry Chinon Les Grézeaux. This is an excellent Grézeaux. My sense is this is just starting to roll as it is earthy and still has tannin to resolve but has strong underlying fruit, like its slightly more transparent (at this stage) 2004 version. The Grézeaux-lamb combo really shone. The lamb brought out the inherent sweetness still wrapped in the structure of the wine. I think I would remain patient, and that has been my sense over the last couple years with most 2005 Chinon I’ve tried.

1998 Chateau Rayas Chateauneuf du Pape. This comes off to me as more 1998 Grenache-y Chateauneuf and less Rayas than any Rayas I can recall. It’s fully resolved and earthy, a touch roasted. It has Rayas gravitas. Others like it a lot, and I can see why. But it’s just not my cup of tea. (I don’t think Jay Miller would have liked this.) I love Rayas when it’s more acid-driven and red fruit leaning, and that was not this bottle. I hope others come in to defend this bottle for the Chateauneuf lovers out there.

2009 La Pialade Cote du Rhône. From the Rayas stable. Beyond younger, this comes off more fruit forward and brighter than its big older cousin, some spicy flavorful red fruit. I thought the alcohol poked out a bit on this one: it’s listed at 13.5% but I’m fairly certain the ABV is higher. With a little lower alcohol, I think I really would have enjoyed this one as it has the profile that distinguishes the Reynaud wines for my palate from other Grenache-based Chateauneuf.

Almost forgot. There was a lovely 2005 Rieussec from a half bottle. On the lush pineappley bigger side of Rieussec. Still drinking young but integrated.

I concur on the 2005 Chinon. It’s an ager for sure. I popped a Croix Boissee earlier this year, and while quite strong, it will vastly benefit with more time. I really like this vintage a lot.

I’ve yet to taste Rayas 98, but from what I heard it’s not ready yet. Give it at least 5+ years. Maybe due to the hot year and Emmanuel Reynaud being on his second vintage (?) at Rayas, it’s also just not a great Rayas.

Pialade 2009, like the Chateau des Tours from the same year, is still years from being approachable. A bit like the Vacqueyras. Too much alcohol, and I’m not sure they’ll turn out as good as other vintages. To drink now, certainly the weakest Rayas & co. vintage imo. I had a CdT 09 two or three months ago and it was the best showing since I started drinking them in 2013. Almost drinkable… so there is hope! :wink:

Alain

I grew up in Rego Park as well,(98th and 65th Rd) a short walk on Queens Blvd from Cafe Arzu…Have never eaten there, i suspect it opened after I moved upstate > 30 yrs ago…BYOB friendly? Corkage? Don’t get back all that often to Rego Park/Forest Hills area anymore…My oldest daughter lives in Astoria, works in Manhattan.

To be fair I didn’t grow up there (unless you count my first year of life), but much of my family did. My mom’s parents lived in a house near 63rd Dr. and 98th. My other grandmother and aunts, uncles, and cousins lived on 63rd Rd. b/n 97th and 98th (or within a couple blocks or a few “uptown” in Forest Hills) when it was, in part, a Hungarian immigrant Jewish enclave. There are still a few relatives left there. Lots of memories. Not to make this sappy, but you can tick off the food and other places burned into memory that are gone. Jahn’s, Evelyn’s Bakery (best babka ever), Scotty’s Seafood, Alexander’s of course, the pizza place that replaced the pie place on 63rd Rd., … So I like to go back.

We had the 2009 Chateau des Tours Vacqueyras in a vertical of 98, 01, 05, 06, 07, 09 yesterday and it showed very well. From my perspective it drank very well and you could drink it now or age it depending on your taste. It was the second favorite of our group after the 2006.

In my experience the issue with the 2009 Tours Cotes du Rhône is secondary fermentation. Most bottles are fizzy. I shake them and do multiple decants, and if possible let the wine sit for as much as a day afterwards. With all that they have been fairly good.