TN: 05 de L'arlot NSG Les Petits Plets and 05 Chapoutier St. Joseph Les Granits

de Larlot from 375. Perfect cork, PNP. Forward and beautiful nose of flowers and spice. A bit heavy yet clearly elegant, no rustic edge here. A fine drink and a surprise as I have not had much from this producer and thought it may be too modern based on the label. It is modern but in an attractive and not over-the-top way. Nice and plenty of time to go even in this format.

05 Chapoutier was also very tasty. Perfect cork, PNP. Pure and packed. Lots going on here, floral and mineral notes changing in the glass, good complexity, complete finish, the wine is much more in balance than I would have guessed it would be. If you have bottles, a good time to check in, my bottle was in a very good spot right now.

Have enjoyed the Arlot wines over the years. Priced out in recent vintages, but still keep an eye out for clearance pricing.

Petits Plets is a young vines selection from Clos de Arlot, IIRC. The '99 Jeune Vignes Clos des Forets was fantastic in its time (well, in the time I drank my stash). The wines do show nice fruit and maybe less place than some peers, but as monopoles, who’s to say what is the right expression of Clos des Forets and Clos des Arlot.

Cheers,
fred

Thanks for the post Fred, I did not know the background and appreciate the share. Greg

Are these wines expensive in the US? The 05 clos des forets is drinking pretty amazing at this stage. I have had 2 in the last 3 months. In Europe, it has gone under the radar a bit in recent years.

Truth be told have not seen much in the way of offerings from them in recent years. I probably purchased these around 10 years ago. They were not expensive, relatively speaking, on purchase.

Hey Greg, good to see you around. Been a long time.

Likewise David!!! Hope all is well with you and yours.