2010 Chateau Montrose 2nd Wine...Le Dame de Montrose

La Dame De Montrose 2010

Well……it starts like this.
St Estephe wines are big…Huh?
LOL

I’m grilling lamb chops and “Thought” an hour plus was enough of a decant but……… Noooooooooooooo!!
I had a feeling this was going to be a tricky wine as far as decanting.
It was.
But Man!!!

What a Powerful wine.
I have two of these and haven’t ever tried.
3 years ago when I was just a rookie when it came to fine wine (still am actually), I decided to invest in a 100 point wine as an investment / one to hold for the ages.
After all, the drinking window was put out there as 2020 to 2100 for a 2010 Montrose.

HUH!! 2100?

OK

I figured that it would be a good one to have and hold and or sell down the road.
I then proceeded to find a 3rd wine of Montrose 2010 and got a couple of those.
Had that a couple times the last being in May of this year.

But that 3rd wine of 2010 Montrose didn’t nearly prepare me for this 2nd wine of 2010 Montrose.
If this one is this powerful and (I wish I could enunciate all the expletives that are so well used to describe a wines characteristics}, I would say that maybe the main wine could be drunk in 2125.
Seriously!
What a powerful wine.
And this is the 2nd wine. Really Good after 2+ hours decanting.

Hmmmmm

I have one more of these. Wish I had a bunch more.

Very nice.

For the most part, Montrose is above my pay grade, but the 2010 La Dame is superb and well within my budget.
I drank one last December, which took 3 hours in the decanter to really open up. The other 7 in my cellar will rest comfortably for a few more years at least.

The main wine is above my pay grade too Chris.
Enjoy those down the road.
I’ve read so much about Montrose and how powerful it is.
It was very closed for the first hour or so.

I had to have at least one so I bought a bottle of the 2012 Montrose for $85.
I’ll only dream about drinking it for the next 10 years.
The '10 La Dame will outshine it regardless of age though.

I bought 6 of these then stuck them away. Have largely forgotten about them. Thanks for the data point. I assumed 15 minimum.

I went through a couple cases of the 2000 DdM, and they didn’t fade at all in their first ten years. Maybe I should have kept one in the name of science.

The wines are likely to be even better now.

The 2010 Dame de Montrose is a beautiful wine. Powerful yet balanced. I have not opened one recently as I thought they would be closed and compact.

Of the recent vintages the 2009 Montrose is fabulous. Really top notch and worth paying extra.

As to ageability of La Dame, in about 2010 I enjoyed the 1990 while watching the ncaa wrestling championships at a former teammate’s home in Boston. It was sublime, at an optimal spot in its evolution. Not nearly as hard or “stinky” as Montrose can be (and I love Montrose). Which made me wonder whether the normale 1990 Montrose might be a 2025-50 wine.

Have had a few other La Dames — all good but none so memorable. Subsequently bought 1/2 case of 2005 but haven’t yet touched them.

Beautiful Powerful Wine!
Just glad I have one left and…one of the main wine of 2010. No wonder it scored a 100.
Probably won’t open that for quite a while.

Do any of the other recent vintages of La Dame hold a candle to the 2010?

Interesting. Another successful 2010 second wine was the Alter Ego of Chateau Palmer. Never really noticed it before, but really special in 2010

Mark

2010 was special on so many levels.
A lot of 2nd and even 3rd wines. Still have 1 3rd of Montrose.

Wish I had a bunch more 2010 Bordeaux.

Wally’s has the 2000 on sale for under $100

The 2000 Dame de Montrose costs what today?

I bought/finished what seemed like almost 2 cases of the 2000 at release. I remember liking it so much then that it became almost like a daily drinker for me and every week or so, I’d pass by my local Costco and buy 3 or 6-pack for under $16 to $18. My local Costco never seemed to run out. Those were the days when, for a good chunk of my 2000 Bordeaux needs, Costco was the mother-load with awesome pricing.

Wow, that’s extraordinary pricing. I think that I paid $35 for the 2010 in futures.

Yeah, it was, especially given the quality. I was hoping it wouldn’t be that far off from the at release pricing so that I can try and grab some today. But, I think I’ll pass at the prices they’re now at.

When I got the 2nd bottle of La Dame a year and a half back at Total wine…there was a coupon and I think I paid around 46 for it.
I posted it on the forum and asked if that was a good price.
I was assured that it was.

re: the pricing in this thread — Daaaaaang! I purchased 3 bottles of the '14 for $32 (at Costco and Total Wine), and am exceedingly happy with the wine at that price. I’ve already gone through 2 of the 3, and wish I had bought a lot more.

There’s no comparison between the '14 and the '10. $35 is a fair price for the '14 and $55 is a bargain for the '10.

Who grabbed all the 14 montrose at kl for $99?

Found some 15 ddm for $27 for halves.