California winery accused of deceptive labeling over Oregon Wine

The specific labels are Elouan and The Willametter Journal.

The owner of a Napa Valley winery accused by Oregon winemakers of using deceptive labels says he is working with both state and federal investigators, while describing the controversy as a “charade.”

Copper Cane LLC, of Rutherford, Calif., buys grapes from about 50 growers in Oregon to make Pinot noir and rosé wines. Two brands in particular, “The Willametter Journal” and “Elouan,” have raised suspicion among Oregon winemakers that the labels and packaging falsely imply the wines originate in the state’s high-value American Viticultural Areas, or AVAs.

The dispute is now on the radar of Oregon congressional delegates, who sent a letter Oct. 9 to the federal Alcohol and Tobacco Tax and Trade Bureau requesting an investigation into Copper Cane’s labels.

Couple of threads on this including the cancellation of grape contacts.

Not like I bought his wines before…but I know some folks that did and don’t like that kind of abuse of power.

I did a search for the winery names before I posted. I didn’t realize this had been covered before.
Of course, I thought California might seek an investigation of Domaine Serene or Ayoub for stealing California wine making. . . .

In other words, a producer widely know for producing fake-ass wine is accused of producing fake-ass labels for their fake-ass wine.

This sounds all reminiscent of the ‘Napa Ridge’ labeling nonsense of a decade or two ago.

Whatever he’s doing, he seems to know how to hustle the swill

Every supermarket around here, even freaking Cost Plus World Market, has Meiomi and his $40+ Belle Glos on the shelves.