TN: 2015 O'Shaughnessy Cabernet Sauvignon Napa Valley (USA, California, Napa Valley)

• 2015 O’Shaughnessy Cabernet Sauvignon Napa Valley - USA, California, Napa Valley (10/11/2018)
    Excellent and second best wine at the tasting. Bright fruit, floral, dust and a nice minerality streak. Medium to long finish and drinking quite well for this young a vintage. I would decant a few hours prior to serving and I could see this wine cellaring for a decade. (94 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

John,

Great note. O’Shaughnessy is, IMHO, one of the most underrated wineries in Napa. They never fail to make wines of character and depth, and all of that for around $100. They work with Howell Mountain, Mount Veeder, and Oakville fruit, and they seem to find ways to ensure the fruit speaks to the taster. It is a beautiful property as well.

Cheers,
Scott

Thanks for the tasting note, I recently had the 2015 as well, but in less than ideal conditions, so wanted to withhold judgement (wine temperature, room temperature were both too warm). I’ve greatly enjoyed the 2013, and 2014 vintages, and look forward to re-tasting the 2015.

I’ve only had the Napa bottling, is it “worth” stepping up to the Howell Mountain or Mount Veeder bottlings?

Chris,

If you like the more rustic, mountain fruit profile, I would say the Howell Mountain is worth it. You will get more herbal notes and bigger tannin, but I enjoy the complexity that comes with it. Since 2011 was maligned as a weak vintage, you can find the Howell relatively cheap at auction, and trust me, the mountain fruit did quite well in that vintage.

Cheers,
Scott

I’m a big fan of the Howell Mtn - it’s one of my favorite wines and seems consistently terrific. I’ve only had the Mt. Veeder twice; the ‘06 was incredible, and the ‘09 was ‘just’ very good.

Bought a mixed case of the '05 Howell Mt and Mt Veeder. They have been delicious. Wish I had other vintages but I don’t.

D I remember when these wines were super reasonable (but still are today) from the 2005s. Wish I had some in my cellar!

John, I still have 4 and they are still drinking very well.

2005 O’Shaughnessy Cabernet Sauvignon Howell Mountain - USA, California, Napa Valley, Howell Mountain (2/14/2018)
This wine is drinking at the top of its game. Loads of fruit and plenty of complexity. I would say drink over the next 5 years. (95 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

I remember buying the 2001 Howell mountain cab for $40 back in the day.

1 Like

Any tips on the ageing curves here? On a friend’s advice I own some younger Howell Mtn cab and merlot. I generally wouldn’t touch a Dunn for 20 years.

O’Shaughnessy’s stuff ages really well. The 2005s are still young.

Heck yes. I love the Howell and Mt. Veeder.

They also did a limited run of something called “Extended Barrel Aged”. The 2010 was unreal. Crazy to say, but was EASILY with it’s $275 price tag. If it was tasted side by side with say Shafer Hillside, the Shafer would stand no chance.

If you love SB, theirs is ridiculous, and it’s really cheap.

I was just telling a few people same thing.

yes Dunn’s need time. Great value then and now. A wine that has not gone through the roof on pricing.

I find them to usually be pretty good values on restaurant wine lists, especially here in AZ where BYOB is against the law. Restauranters tend to use predatory wine pricing as a result, which sucks.