Burgundy vintage rankings

All

Would love to get your thoughts on how would you group last 6 vintages of red Burgundy (2011 to 2016). What are your top two, middle two and bottom two vintages for CdB and CdN.

Most publications I have read would generally classify 2015 & 16 as the top two but vary from each other on 2011 to 2014.

1 Like

I will wait to rank 2016 until I taste more in March at the Paulee. Of the others, I would put 2015 at the top, 2011 way below the other four, and 2012, 2013 and 2014 as comparable in quality but not in style. 2013 is a more tannic vintage that has good density but needs more time. 2012 is a richer vintage, possibly more like 2002. Stylistically, 2014 is more like 2010 with good structure and elegance, but nowhere near as good as 2010.

Good summation, Howard. But 2002 being rich?
Interesting thought of 2010-2014, which I don’t think I’ve heard it compared to before.

Will the 11s surprise to the upside in a lighter bodied way in 20 years?

Or just too much green meanies?

Howard, the la paulee list of producers looks weak though. With the high prices, the lineup should be much better.

http://www.lapaulee.com/winemakers-index/

I completely disagree. When I look at the list of producers I see a virtual who’s who of the next generation of great producers in Burgundy. Hopefully, people will agree with you and attendance will be down giving me more time to talk with people.

Ah, what a highly refined and a classy response! [snort.gif]

I’m glad there are new producers to check out. Just two years back, there was Rousseau, Roumier, d’Angerville, PYCM, etc. Not saying the new kids are not making good wines, but would have loved to see more of the classic producers to get an idea of the vintage.

Sorry to hijack this thread. I am planning on attending La Paulee for the first time, with the main goal of being to taste many producers for the first time. How many producers can one realistically visit? And if you were assuming no experience with any of these producers in the past, which 5 do you think would present the greatest contrast in styles to come away having “learned something” about one’s palette?

Gouges, Jadot, Faiveley, Mugneret-Gibourg, Drouhin, Hudelot-Noellat to name a few, and you can’t get an idea of the vintage?

I could drink happily with only those producers for the rest of my life!

For me:

That’s last years list, no? Already happened. One in NYC tends to get a deeper selection of vignerons, though I agree these are by no means shabby.

Would the view on 11 vs 12 vs 13 vs 14 change if you were looking at Volnay (Lafarge, Angerville etc) specifically?

I’ve attended twice in SF, and assume NY is similar in terms of layout and density (and anyone who’s been to both please let me know if I’m confused). With discipline and focus I’ve been able to visit every producer at the event! This includes time for note taking and brief chatting. It’s hard to spend a lot of time with a single producer because of the continuous flow of people, but that suits me fine. This has allowed me to check in with those I know well, as well as taste lots of new (to me) producers. It’s an excellent event.

One size doesn’t really fit all here as we know.

If we want to take as much sun as possible, here’s the sweet ripe scale:

Tier 1

Tier 2

Tier 3

If you like cooler, classic years you should look harder at 2013.

2011 - $$$
2012 - $$$$
2013 - $$$$$
2014 - $$$$$$
2015 - $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
2016 - $$$$$$$

I need to drink more ‘12s. It looks like I have about a mixed case in the cellar, with a mix of premier and grand cru from both cdn and cdb. Anything drinking particularly well of late?

Interesting thread,

For me I would say 2013, 2015, 2014/16 (depending on the region), 2012, 2011; but I’m looking mostly at long-term potential.

You clearly want to try Mugneret-Gibourg, Hudelot-Noellat and Bernard Moreau.

For white, contrast Christian Moreau (Chablis) and Bernard Moreau (Chassagne-Montrachet). Two totally different expressions of Chardonnay.

Or, for white, contrast Drouhin (a more elegant expression) with Bouchard (more powerful). Both make outstanding whites that are relatively easy to find.

For reds, contrast a good Volnay producer like Lafon with a producers from the Cotes du Nuits like Mugneret-Gibourg or Hudelot-Noellat. Or, go villages by villages in the Cotes du Nuits - have not seen a list yet of wines producers will show (the list of producers I have seen is at Winemakers — La Paulée ) but Mugneret-Gibourg makes excellent wines from Chambolle, Nuits St. Georges and Vosne Romanee, Hudelot-Noellat has vines in VR and CM, Lignier has excellent wines from Morey St. Denis, and Liger-Belair makes wines from VR.

Or, go to the young up and coming producers and try to learn them. I am thinking of producers like Clerget, Duroche, Heitz-Lochardet and Thiriet. Of course, Charles Van Canneyt is only 30, so you could put Hudelot either in the young producer or the established superstar class. I would put them in both.

As for how many, do you plan to spit? I do, so I get through at least some of the wines from at least two thirds of the producers. If you plan to swallow rather than spit, that probably will cut you down quite a bit.

It says 2019.