TN: Gunpowder Creek

Spurred on by the other thread about a new Cab Franc producer, I happened to be in Tri-Cities, and stopped by to see Caleb at Bookwalter and ask him about 2018 vintage and his Gunpowder Creek project. 2018 is shaping up to be epic in WA, colors are great, fruit is ripe, tannins are ripe and good acidity to balance it out after tasting some older vine barrel samples.

On to Caleb’s project…
Caleb Foster 2017 Alder Banks Vineyard Pinot Noir, Walla Walla Valley, WA
From vines on other side of river in a back yard apparently, that was planted in 1984, that Caleb worked with back at Woodward Canyon. Red fruited, touch of cola in nose with nice fruit on palate, florals and balancing acidity. Reminds me of some WV 2015 Pinot Noirs, would never pick out as Walla Walla.

Caleb Foster 2015 Phinny Hill Vineyard Cabernet Franc, HHH, WA From the top of Phinny Hill, planted by hand by owner and in a prime spot in HHH. Caleb is making a Franc, unlike Savage Grace and the Chinon reference mentioned in other thread, that speaks more to St. Emilion before high alcohol and extraction became prevalent there. Aged in two year old QC barrels to mature and not impart oakiness. It speaks to Franc with red fruits and some black, a touch of savory herbs, firm ripe tannins and since he is doing some stems it fills the doughnut so many wines have in middle palate with Franc and finishes with grip.

Glad I stopped by and glad I read the previous post as I was unaware, and very happy to see more Franc in WA and learn something about WW Pinot history.

*I don’t represent Bookwalter or Gunpowder Creek.

I’m guessing this is not the Binghamton-Endicott-Johnson City area.

Nice, Chris…very timely post. We’re traveling from the Yakima area to WW in a few weeks and might just have to make the detour to Bookwalter. I’m not sure if Caleb would be willing to pour the GC, but it’s worth trying.

Ha! Nope. Richland-Kennewick-Pasco

Tried both again night two, the Franc stayed focused with a bitter chocolate note emerging and the Pinot Noir put on a bit of weight while staying in the red fruit spectrum.

I wish Caleb all the best on this project.