TN: An Italian Wine & Food Extravaganza

Our friends Larry and Margie Kirsch invited us to this spectacular dinner with an Italian theme and Italian wines mostly from Piedmont. They took over the entire upstairs at 677 Prime and had special foods brought up from Arthur Avenue in the Bronx.

Photos and many more details can be found on my website.

Starter

• 2015 Gaja Langhe Chardonnay Gaia & Rey - Italy, Piedmont, Langhe, Langhe DOC
    [Pop and pour from a half bottle.] Huge, complex nose of lemon custard and marzipan. Rich in the mouth. Long, complex finish of minerals and mixed citrus fruits. Quite stunning. (95 pts.)

1989 Produttori Magnums

Gaja Barbaresco

• 1998 Gaja Barbaresco - Italy, Piedmont, Langhe, Barbaresco
    [Double-decanted around 2pm.] Black fruit and tar in the nose. Quite appealing, but it does seem to be beginning its downslope. Enjoy now! (92 pts.)
  • 1997 Gaja Barbaresco - Italy, Piedmont, Langhe, Barbaresco
    [Double-decanted around 2pm.] Much bigger and darker than the 98. Rich and ripe with lots of tar and black fruit. Classic. A beautiful Barbaresco. (94 pts.)

Gaja Costa Russi

• 1993 Gaja Barbaresco Costa Russi - Italy, Piedmont, Langhe, Barbaresco
    [Double-decanted around 2pm.] Huge black cherry nose. Shockingly big and rich for a 93. Long, complex, licorice, tar and plums. This has to be the wine of the vintage. (94 pts.)
  • 1997 Gaja Langhe Nebbiolo Costa Russi - Italy, Piedmont, Langhe, Langhe DOC
    [Double-decanted around 2pm.] Black plums and spice in the nose. Big, tarry, rich, quite young. Should drink well for 20 more years. Quite modern and powerful, but not oaky. (95 pts.)

Emidio Pepe Montepulciano d’Abruzzo Magnum

• 1997 Emidio Pepe Montepulciano d’Abruzzo - Italy, Abruzzi, Montepulciano d’Abruzzo
    [From a magnum opened around 7pm, but not decanted.] Massive black fruit nose. Huge, rich, black fruit and tar in layers and layers. Way too young now, but this wine has a glorious future. 94-96 (95 pts.)

What an amazing evening. So much great wine, great food, and great friends! The generosity of Larry and Margie was overwhelming.

Posted from CellarTracker

Sounds fabulous! Thanks for the notes.

Great notes as always; the pics on your site had me salivating–especially the breads and the pasta. Who knew Albany, NY had all this to offer (though I know the breads came from the Bronx–prosciutto bread is always killer)? (Certainly, not me!)

We don’t have the number of great restaurants that a big city would have, but we do have some very good ones.