GCC Member

Re: Master Somm Invalidation

#201 Post by Anton D » November 1st, 2018, 8:51 pm

Tom Reddick wrote:
November 1st, 2018, 6:52 pm
K John Joseph wrote:
October 31st, 2018, 10:00 am
Tom,

I appreciate the note but here the Court has openly acknowledged a problem. The Court disclosed the nature of the leak. The Court took steps to preclude bad actors from admission. The Court is offering testing opportunities and cost covering. The Court has openly noted that it is taking action to expel the member. The member will no longer be able to advertise MS credentials, which means the ventures in which that person is active will be made aware that he/she is the bad actor. Aside from setting an example, what is to be gained from taking the extra steps at outing?
Fair points- and in all other respects I am not questioning the handling of this. I will also freely concede that going public risks litigation costs.

I think my attitude stems in part from the fact I am a CPA. Every quarter, we get a newsletter from the state- and there are detailed listings, including names, of everyone who has violated ethical rules and the stage of any pending inquiry, finding, punishment etc. Even for those who just stop being CPAs but fail to properly withdraw their certifications, there are lists to show them in delinquent CPE and fee payment status.

It certainly does not stop people from wrongdoing, but I like to think it is something of a deterrent and it also sends a very clear message that CPA certification, and the expertise and earning potential it conveys, are to be taken very seriously.
Wow! Are there fees for quitting?

Beat in, beat out? That’s how immunology rolls! [cheers.gif]

In our profession, we get quarterly newsletters listing who got caught misusing or misdirecting controlled substances or banging clients. It’s depressing to see what goes on!

When I lived in Las Vegas, we had an OB/GYN get busted for selling OxyContin scripts for sex and prescribing OxyContin to men in North Carolina. Men! Like, who thinks that’s a sustainably good idea?

Back on topic: I think if I were one of the wronged people who passed, I’d lawyer up and go after the Court in court.
Anton Dotson

Tom Reddick
GCC Member
GCC Member

#202 Post by Tom Reddick » November 1st, 2018, 9:01 pm

No fees for quitting- you just need to formally withdraw. Otherwise, the computer system automatically assumes you are late in paying your future renewals and completing CPE.

I must say- the "busts" in your profession sound a lot more exciting than ours!
ITB

Tim McCracken

#203 Post by Tim McCracken » November 3rd, 2018, 9:18 pm

The offender has essentially been outed on social media. The CMS is probably being quiet for legal reasons.

larry schaffer
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#204 Post by larry schaffer » December 5th, 2018, 8:40 am

Here is the latest on this ongoing 'scandal':

https://www.wine-searcher.com/m/2018/12 ... ng-nowhere
larry schaffer
tercero wines

jcoley3
GCC Member
GCC Member

#205 Post by jcoley3 » December 6th, 2018, 3:38 pm

Happy to say that an STL acquaintance whose results were invalidated just passed again.
Jim Coley ITB

"So I say, like Ortega y Gasset, that when a lot of people agree on something, it's either a stupid idea or a beautiful woman." - Alvaro Mutis

"You could spend a lot more money, and not get a better Burgundy...” - Carlo Rossi

julianseersmartin

#206 Post by julianseersmartin » December 6th, 2018, 3:50 pm

Yes, 6 passed today. Haven't been able to find how many of the 23 sat the exam today though.

Tom G l a s g o w
GCC Member
GCC Member

#207 Post by Tom G l a s g o w » December 6th, 2018, 4:39 pm

Tom Reddick wrote:
November 1st, 2018, 6:52 pm
K John Joseph wrote:
October 31st, 2018, 10:00 am
Tom,

I appreciate the note but here the Court has openly acknowledged a problem. The Court disclosed the nature of the leak. The Court took steps to preclude bad actors from admission. The Court is offering testing opportunities and cost covering. The Court has openly noted that it is taking action to expel the member. The member will no longer be able to advertise MS credentials, which means the ventures in which that person is active will be made aware that he/she is the bad actor. Aside from setting an example, what is to be gained from taking the extra steps at outing?
Fair points- and in all other respects I am not questioning the handling of this. I will also freely concede that going public risks litigation costs.

I think my attitude stems in part from the fact I am a CPA. Every quarter, we get a newsletter from the state- and there are detailed listings, including names, of everyone who has violated ethical rules and the stage of any pending inquiry, finding, punishment etc. Even for those who just stop being CPAs but fail to properly withdraw their certifications, there are lists to show them in delinquent CPE and fee payment status.

It certainly does not stop people from wrongdoing, but I like to think it is something of a deterrent and it also sends a very clear message that CPA certification, and the expertise and earning potential it conveys, are to be taken very seriously.
I’m more worried about CPAs than Sommeliers, unless the Sommelier is cutting the Riesling with glycol.

Keith A k e r s
GCC Member
GCC Member

#208 Post by Keith A k e r s » December 7th, 2018, 11:12 am

a friend who was invalidated didn't pass. I can't imagine the anger he has as he's passed theory, service, and tasting all twice over the years but this was the only time he had passed them all in a cycle......until this debacle. This whole thing could've been handled much better by the Court IMO and a proper investigation should've been done instead of the nominal one they did.

Return to “Wine Talk”